- Redditor wants to know if he’s the a**hole for ghosting pregnant partner Thursday 8:19 PM
- How to go live on TikTok Thursday 8:08 PM
- Joey Salads suggests Democrats carried out Santa Clarita mass shooting Thursday 7:31 PM
- How influencers use TikTok to make money and launch careers Thursday 7:18 PM
- How to stream Argentina vs. Brazil live Thursday 6:51 PM
- How to watch Disney+ on a smart TV Thursday 6:28 PM
- Miss Fame calls out Justin Bieber for low music video appearance pay offer Thursday 6:19 PM
- Trump Jr. ranked No. 1 on best-seller list—after the GOP gave away copies of his book Thursday 5:45 PM
- How to get Disney+ bundle if you already subscribe to Hulu and/or ESPN+ Thursday 5:19 PM
- Mo’Nique suing Netflix for race and gender discrimination Thursday 5:09 PM
- Students outraged that professors accused of sexual misconduct are still teaching Thursday 5:00 PM
- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters Thursday 3:59 PM
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Thursday 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Thursday 2:57 PM
- How to sign up for Disney Plus Thursday 2:55 PM
5 lessons missing from the ‘Walking Dead’ online college course
The class will teach you about social order and spread of disease, but not how to kill the undead.
In order to survive a zombie apocalypse, you’ll need to know how to find supplies and fend off the undead. However, a new online class seems to miss some of the vital lessons required to stay alive.
The course frames lessons on nutrition, social order, and the spread of infectious disease through the hit show The Walking Dead. But there doesn’t seem to be any room for teaching students how to actually kill the undead.
Starting the day after the season 4 premiere on Oct. 13, “Society, Science, Survival: Lessons from AMC’s The Walking Dead” runs for eight weeks. University of California–Irvine faculty members will teach the AMC-licensed class, in which cast members will discuss their characters.
Here are 5 critical, spoilery lessons that need to be in the course.
1) Aim for the head
Forget this when battling the undead and you’ll soon be lunch.
2) Keep up with your cardio
The 2009 film Zombieland has excellent advice for dealing with zombies. The most important of all is keeping fit.
3) Be careful who you trust
In season 3, we see a group taking refuge in a barricaded town. The trouble is, it’s run by a sociopathic monster called The Governor who’d happy watch zombies tear apart his rivals. He even kills his own people. In a world populated by the undead, keep your friends close, and your enemies far away.
4) Make friends with a survivalist
Any hardy band of survivors needs someone resourceful enough to keep them alive. The Walking Dead gang has Daryl, a hunter and skilled tracker, to find supplies and quickly dispatch the undead. He is also a witty fan favorite.
5) Be ruthless
The core group spent much of season 2 hunting for a missing child in the woods. Of course, the little girl eventually reappeared as one of the infected. The best thing to do when a kid goes missing for more than a couple of days is to assume the worst and move on, as harsh as that may seem.
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.