- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu 5 Years Ago
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Today 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Today 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Today 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Today 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Today 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Today 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
Taylor Swift is a self-proclaimed nightmare in her new music video
Swift embraces her Single White Female persona, then takes it to a whole new level.
In case her reputation or music hasn’t preceded her, sentient 1950s bathing suit Taylor Swift is known for being a bit boy crazy. It’s a persona the 1989 artist decided to take back with a bit of humor on her latest LP with “Blank Space.”
The track, which begins with a hypnotic beat and syncopated verse, quickly takes a turn for the sadistic as Taylor croons a deliciously deranged chorus with a wink to all the tabloid covers she’s appeared on. But never one to be satisfied with the bare minimum, Swift decided to antagonize the haters who are gonna hate, hate, hate with a music video for the track that makes her schizophrenic “Shake It Off” persona look well-adjusted.
After Yahoo! accidentally posted and then removed the video early Monday morning, Swift’s camp moved quickly to officially release “Blank Space” on Vevo by the afternoon. Though the official video, originally scheduled for Tuesday, is a bit different from its Yahoo! counterpart, the message is still the same: If you mess with Taylor’s heart, she will go full-fledged Single White Female on you.
Directed by Joseph Khan and featuring model Sean O’Pry as Swift’s latest lover-turned-victim, the “Blank Space” music video holds nothing back. Between stabbing cakes, setting fire to dress shirts, and bashing priceless antique automobiles with golf clubs, the video hits all the classic “nightmare dressed like a daydream” tropes.
For all those concerned, “No animals, trees, automobiles or actors were harmed in the making of this video,” the video explicitly states. But after seeing what Swift can do to a cake with a knife, I’d watch my back if I were the intern that goofed the posting in the first place.
Greg Seals is a former social media producer and contributing writer for the Daily Dot. He specializes in creating and covering viral content on platforms that include Tumblr, Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter.