- Trump accuses Jewish Democrats of having ‘great disloyalty’ or a ‘lack of knowledge’ Tuesday 8:02 PM
- 1 million ‘anonymous’ users of popular porn site exposed in breach Tuesday 6:56 PM
- Khloé Kardashian angers followers with a calorie-counting joke about True Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Spider-Man may no longer be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe Tuesday 5:28 PM
- Robert De Niro’s company is suing ex-employee for binge-watching Netflix at work Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Intentionally misgendering a character could get you banned from Borderlands 3 Tuesday 4:06 PM
- Facebook pulls Trump re-election ad for targeting ‘strong women’ Tuesday 4:03 PM
- Kamala Harris says she will restore net neutrality if elected Tuesday 3:16 PM
- All 8 of the ‘Rocky’ movies, ranked Tuesday 2:50 PM
- Everything you need to know about the Facebook conservative bias report Tuesday 2:35 PM
- Study links emoji use to more sex Tuesday 2:10 PM
- The chicken sandwich war is in full throttle on Twitter Tuesday 1:47 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Sextuplets’ proves Marlon Wayans is no Eddie Murphy—or even Mike Myers Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Facebook is finally rolling out its clear history tool Tuesday 1:13 PM
- ‘Theater etiquette’ tweets surge after YouTuber cast in ‘Waitress’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
Reddit gives “Community” video game an extra life
Now you can play Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne.
Community is nothing if not ambitious.
Towards the end of the cult comedy’s third season, NBC aired an episode where characters played a video game called Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne. The entire episode was built around the characters playing the 16-bit game, with Pierce Hawthorne’s inheritance on the line as they learned some life lessons and made jokes along the way.
Redditors have given the pixelated version of the Greendale Seven an extra life with their own version of the game. In the r/Hawkthrone subreddit, more than 2,700 redditors have been developing, playing, and discussing the game.
The free game, which has been downloaded more than 16,000 times, is a work in progress, and the gameplay is fairly straightforward for the time being as development continues. For now, characters are limited to running and jumping, while there are only four playable areas.
Redditor Deferman is the driving force behind the game, though around a dozen others have helped with development. Fellow redditors are submitting everything from character designs and chiptune versions of music used in the show to sound effects.
Updated versions of the game are being released every few days, with the most recent version getting an ending screen after the village level. Previously, gamers were stuck in an loop as they were returned to Greendale Community College after working through the current levels.
Perhaps the best part of the game as it stands is the alternative costumes that can be bestowed upon each character, from Batman Abed and Jeff as David Beckham to Britta’s T. rex get up and Troy’s take on Ridley from Aliens. The “darkest timeline” version of Jeff is even missing an arm. That’s attention to detail for you.
Getting the details right is something show creator Dan Harmon takes pride in. Though he’s yet to play Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne, we have a feeling he’ll be impressed by it.
Photo via Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.