- This bubble tea challenge is a balancing act 7 Years Ago
- Laura Dern gifts the internet with more ‘Big Little Lies’ memes 7 Years Ago
- The Stonks meme is back—and it’s weirder than ever Today 1:27 PM
- Video shows officer threatening to shoot pregnant Black woman in front of her children Today 1:12 PM
- Netflix’s ‘Leila’ tells a familiar dystopian horror story Today 12:37 PM
- O.J. Simpson says in Twitter video that he never slept with Kris Jenner Today 12:06 PM
- GOP commissioner jokes on Facebook about running over Trump protesters Today 11:52 AM
- 2 trans women killed within 3 months in the same neighborhood Today 11:35 AM
- DNC tries to pander with tone-deaf Beyoncé meme, fails miserably Today 10:45 AM
- Parkland grad says Harvard rescinded offer after racist comments surfaced Today 10:10 AM
- ‘The Edge of Democracy’ chronicles the downfall of Brazil’s political leaders Today 9:42 AM
- Suzanne Collins is writing a ‘Hunger Games’ prequel Today 9:31 AM
- KSI rips Logan Paul for delay in their YouTube boxing rematch Today 9:02 AM
- Trump kicks chief of staff out of Oval Office for coughing during interview Today 8:29 AM
- Netflix announces Samurai version of ‘Game of Thrones’ Today 8:10 AM
Now you can play Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne.
Community is nothing if not ambitious.
Towards the end of the cult comedy’s third season, NBC aired an episode where characters played a video game called Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne. The entire episode was built around the characters playing the 16-bit game, with Pierce Hawthorne’s inheritance on the line as they learned some life lessons and made jokes along the way.
Redditors have given the pixelated version of the Greendale Seven an extra life with their own version of the game. In the r/Hawkthrone subreddit, more than 2,700 redditors have been developing, playing, and discussing the game.
The free game, which has been downloaded more than 16,000 times, is a work in progress, and the gameplay is fairly straightforward for the time being as development continues. For now, characters are limited to running and jumping, while there are only four playable areas.
Redditor Deferman is the driving force behind the game, though around a dozen others have helped with development. Fellow redditors are submitting everything from character designs and chiptune versions of music used in the show to sound effects.
Updated versions of the game are being released every few days, with the most recent version getting an ending screen after the village level. Previously, gamers were stuck in an loop as they were returned to Greendale Community College after working through the current levels.
Perhaps the best part of the game as it stands is the alternative costumes that can be bestowed upon each character, from Batman Abed and Jeff as David Beckham to Britta’s T. rex get up and Troy’s take on Ridley from Aliens. The “darkest timeline” version of Jeff is even missing an arm. That’s attention to detail for you.
Getting the details right is something show creator Dan Harmon takes pride in. Though he’s yet to play Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne, we have a feeling he’ll be impressed by it.
Photo via Journey to the Center of Hawkthorne
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.