- Ajit Pai’s net neutrality victory lap comes as his own repeal is under review 2 Months Ago
- Alissa Violet is in Italy—and fans are worried she’ll get coronavirus 2 Months Ago
- Bernie or Barry? Garth Brooks’ Sanders jersey sparks online panic 2 Months Ago
- Netflix series ‘Followers’ is a visual treat—but lacks a clear narrative Today 6:00 AM
- Influencer got trapped under ice for TikTok clout, ‘came close to dying’ Thursday 7:59 PM
- #BernieBruh puts new spin on ‘Bernie Bro’ label, showcases support among Black voters Thursday 6:58 PM
- Camila María Concepcíon, trans activist and Netflix writer, dies at 28 Thursday 5:46 PM
- Chrissy Teigen calls out fan who made weird comment about her daughter’s feet Thursday 4:57 PM
- TikTok’s ‘clean queen’ says videos are helping her figure out ‘adulting’ Thursday 4:12 PM
- Clearview clients include ICE, Macy’s, Best Buy, leaked data reveals Thursday 4:08 PM
- Women are clamoring to get their photos on a Twitter feed of ‘hot mugshots’ Thursday 4:06 PM
- ‘Love Is Blind’ finale: Somehow, real love emerged from this dystopian setting Thursday 3:57 PM
- Creator of ‘Say So’ TikTok dance appears in Doja Cat music video Thursday 3:51 PM
- Is TikTok’s algorithm actually pretty racist? Thursday 3:45 PM
- Fans freaking out over ‘Say My Name’ horror remix featured in Jordan Peele’s ‘Candyman’ Thursday 3:33 PM
On this weekend’s episode of Saturday Night Live, cast member Pete Davidson implied that he was going to a rehabilitation center during the holidays.
SNL cast member Colin Jost asked Davidson about his plans for the holidays. In response, Davidson said he was going “on a little vacation.”
“You know, the kind of vacation where insurance pays for some of it, and they take your phone and shoelaces. And you have roommates, but it still costs like a hundred grand,” Davidson said.
His hint was met with an outpouring of support on Twitter.
“It takes guts to admit to a problem and commit to getting well,” Twitter user @Anniedelf wrote. “I rarely tweet, but it really touched me, rooting for him.”
Nothing but respect for #PeteDavidson who just said he’s going away to rehab, live on #snl. It takes guts to admit to a problem and commit to getting well. I rarely tweet but it really touched me, rooting for him.— Annie (@Anniedelf) December 22, 2019
Pete Davidson being so open about his mental health/going to rehab this holiday season is really admirable especially considering how many people his age or younger have been dying from overdoses pic.twitter.com/svGwpOxvnO— Nae (@DeepSpaceYonce) December 22, 2019
Davidson is known for speaking openly about his mental health. In December 2018, Davidson posted a message about not wanting “to be on this earth anymore.” During this time, he was open about the impact of hateful messages online and his diagnosis of borderline personality disorder.
Both celebrities and fans have praised Davidson for his push to normalize conversations around mental health.
“Why does 93% of the human population feel the need to claim Pete Davidson is lying about his mental illness? He’s constantly using his platform to bring awareness to mental health and normalize it,” Twitter user @RealJuliaKloss tweeted.
Why does 93% of the human population feel the need to claim Pete Davidson is lying about his mental illness? He’s constantly using his platform to bring awareness to mental health and normalize it. If you have a problem with someone helping people in need, then that’s on you— Julia Kloss ✨ (@RealJuliaKloss) December 22, 2019
In 2016, Davidson checked himself into a rehab center to get help for mental health issues. It’s still unconfirmed whether Davidson will actually be going to rehab this holiday season.
Sierra Juarez is a freelance journalist and fact-checker based in Mexico. She most enjoys writing about human rights and politics and working in audience engagement. Her work has appeared in the Texas Tribune, the Austin American–Statesman, and the San Antonio Current.