- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
Pete Davidson on Kanye West’s ‘SNL’ rant: mental illness ‘is not an excuse to act like a jacka**’
A week after Kanye West went on a bizarre rant just when Saturday Night Live was going off the air, praising Donald Trump and ripping the show on which he’d just performed, Pete Davidson had quite a response on Weekend Update.
Davidson, who’s long riffed on his own mental issues and who made a big splash this summer thanks to his relationship with Ariana Grande, started by saying he and SNL cast member Michael Che had a debate to see who should comment on West.
“A lot of people thought Che should be the one to talk about Kanye,” Davidson said. “We discussed it. Che is Black, but I’m crazy. We both know which side of Kanye is at the wheel right now.”
He called West’s rant one of the most awkward experiences of his SNL career, and he showed footage of himself looking at his feet and leaving the stage while West spoke.
He also touched on whether any SNL employee bullied West for wearing a Make America Great Again hat all week. For the record, Davidson said it didn’t happen.
“Kanye is a genius, but, like, a musical genius,” Davidson said. “Joey Chestnut is a hot dog eating genius, but I don’t want to hear Joey Chestnut’s opinion about things that aren’t hot dog-related.”
Davidson also said there’s no shame in taking medication to help with mental issues and that “being mentally ill is not an excuse to act like a jackass.” Watch Davidson’s performance below.
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.