- Julian Assange reportedly nominated for Nobel Peace Prize 1 Year Ago
- Major U.S. airlines will soon implement nonbinary gender options 1 Year Ago
- Trump calls 25th Amendment talk a ‘coup’ attempt Today 8:42 AM
- The Hatebook: Inside Facebook’s thriving subculture of racism Today 7:29 AM
- Anthony Hamilton’s national anthem at All-Star game sparks MVP meme Today 7:02 AM
- ‘Subtle Asian Dating’ is the un-Tinder we all need right now Today 5:00 AM
- Man delighted to find 30-year-old computer still works Sunday 5:32 PM
- Report: Google used shell companies to build data centers, obtain tax breaks Sunday 3:38 PM
- Grammy winner Kacey Musgraves spoiled ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race All Stars 4’ Sunday 2:24 PM
- Conservatives feel vindicated by new developments in Jussie Smollett case (updated) Sunday 12:19 PM
- Don Cheadle made important fashion choices on ‘SNL’ Sunday 9:47 AM
- Why the Twitter left loves to dunk on Max Boot Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Last Week Tonight with John Oliver’ online for free Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to stream Francis Ngannou vs. Cain Velasquez for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to stream the 2019 Daytona 500 for free Sunday 5:50 AM
Paris Hilton sparks Twitter frenzy by claiming she invented the selfie
Paris Hilton’s mentions are busy.
11 years ago today, Me & Britney invented the selfie! pic.twitter.com/1byOU5Gp8J
— Paris Hilton (@ParisHilton) November 19, 2017
Considering Hilton’s throwback snaps were taken 190 years after the invention of the camera, it’s more than safe to say that she was not the author of humanity’s first selfie—but that didn’t stop people from “actually”-ing her anyway.
All Sunday afternoon, fans piled into Hilton’s mentions with receipts:
— Rodrigo רודריגו (@WalterAsensio) November 19, 2017
Sorry. Pre Thelma & Louise pic.twitter.com/YAFmaTJcWf
— Anthony (@Aanth) November 19, 2017
— ItsMixerOne (@mixer1av) November 19, 2017
1910 one of the first mirror selfies pic.twitter.com/YU7QKNQXo8
— iLoveRoses9 (@love_roses9) November 19, 2017
So let the record show, folks: Robert Cornelius took the first selfie we know about in 1839.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.