- This biotech company’s logo is almost straight out of Resident Evil 2 Years Ago
- Trump says mass deportations to start next week Today 12:28 PM
- GOP pollster bothered by broken elevator in Austria blames socialism Today 10:50 AM
- YouTuber renames small town ‘Gay Hell’ to defy Trump Pride policy Today 10:43 AM
- John Cusack blames Twitter bot for anti-Semitic tweet Today 10:18 AM
- YouTube rapper who glorifies pimping has been charged with human trafficking Today 10:09 AM
- Amy Klobuchar lists net neutrality as part of her 100-day plan for presidency Today 8:54 AM
- Reddit just banned the NBA Streams subreddit Today 8:17 AM
- How to watch ‘Drunk History’ for free Today 8:00 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Unit 42’ soars on the chemistry of its unlikely lead partners Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch ‘Good Trouble’ for free Today 7:00 AM
- It’s time for Pete Buttigieg to claim his status as Short King Today 6:30 AM
- The best foreign-language TV shows on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- Hasan Minhaj explains why your internet sucks in ‘Patriot Act’ episode, puts it on DVD Monday 8:41 PM
- Hackers got control of Dylan Sprouse’s Twitter account, posted offensive content Monday 7:38 PM
Paris Hilton sparks Twitter frenzy by claiming she invented the selfie
Paris Hilton’s mentions are busy.
11 years ago today, Me & Britney invented the selfie! pic.twitter.com/1byOU5Gp8J
— Paris Hilton (@ParisHilton) November 19, 2017
Considering Hilton’s throwback snaps were taken 190 years after the invention of the camera, it’s more than safe to say that she was not the author of humanity’s first selfie—but that didn’t stop people from “actually”-ing her anyway.
All Sunday afternoon, fans piled into Hilton’s mentions with receipts:
— Rodrigo רודריגו (@WalterAsensio) November 19, 2017
Sorry. Pre Thelma & Louise pic.twitter.com/YAFmaTJcWf
— Anthony (@Aanth) November 19, 2017
— ItsMixerOne (@mixer1av) November 19, 2017
1910 one of the first mirror selfies pic.twitter.com/YU7QKNQXo8
— iLoveRoses9 (@love_roses9) November 19, 2017
So let the record show, folks: Robert Cornelius took the first selfie we know about in 1839.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.