- TikTok users jokingly wear big hats to sneak snacks into movie theaters 1 Week Ago
- Why today’s new facially recognition bill is being called ‘woefully’ inadequate Today 3:15 PM
- Facebook has given more user data to the government than ever before Today 2:57 PM
- Instagram included in Facebook transparency report for the first time Today 1:46 PM
- PayPal pulls out of Pornhub, leaving sex workers to consider cryptocurrency Today 1:46 PM
- Billionaires are resorting to making racist jokes against Warren now Today 1:30 PM
- What is the meme of the decade? Today 1:07 PM
- At least 5 employees resign from GitHub, citing ICE contract Today 12:57 PM
- The ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ redesign was led by a ‘Sonic’ artist Today 12:17 PM
- The 16-inch MacBook Pro is a beast, and it has a decent keyboard Today 11:24 AM
- This group is scanning thousands of faces in Congress today to protest facial recognition Today 11:09 AM
- Why is everyone debating Pete Buttigieg’s Medicare for All stance? Today 10:47 AM
- The Motorola Razr is a foldable homage to millennial nostalgia Today 10:22 AM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme gets much more literal on TikTok Today 10:20 AM
- MrDeadMoth avoids jail time for assaulting pregnant partner during live stream Today 9:21 AM
Nicki Minaj is back in the center of controversy after sharing a tweet that some are calling racist–and now some fans are ready to cancel her over it.
In the since-deleted tweet, Minaj used the phrase “the Blacks” to complain about the Black media not supporting her the way the white media does.
“What the white ppl post. >>>>>>,” she wrote on Nov. 5. “The blacks only post the few seconds where I raise my voice to push their narrative.”
The tweet was apparently a jab at Wendy Williams, with whom the rapper has been engaged in an ongoing feud. Williams had a lot to say about the rapper’s engagement to Kenneth Petty, who has a criminal past.
“Now, he served seven years in prison, and he’s also a sex offender,” Williams said on her show, The Wendy Williams Show. “So that means that he—is a manslaughter a killer? Okay, so he’s a killer and a sex offender. Well Nicki, congratulations.”
Minaj shot back at Williams by pointing out that her ex-husband is a known philanderer who is rumored to have fathered a child with his mistress.
“So I really wanted to pray for you today, because look at where you are now in your life,” Minaj said during her Queen Radio show. “Look at what age you are. You’re sat up there being vicious all this time and paid for that man’s mistress all these years. You paid for her shopping sprees, you paid for her hotels, you probably even paid for her GYN bills, you paid to have that baby delivered, hoe.”
Regardless of who the tweet was directed at, many on Twitter are ready to cancel the retired rapper over her “the Blacks” reference.
“Quote of the day ‘The Blacks’ by Ms. Pedo @NICKIMINAJ Grandma why did you deleted the post? The damage is done,” Twitter user @bardisetlibra wrote, along with a screenshot of Minaj’s original tweet.
@NICKIMINAJ wasnt it "the blacks" that got your funky ass career off the ground ? It wasnt the white ppl you praising delusional much ? Just like your fans— CHEFD_RELL (@banme) November 6, 2019
Another said the tweet appeared to have been written by a “white racist.”
I think the main issue is her referring to Black (always capatilize the 'B') people as "the blacks" while calling white people as they are. That tweet looked like it was written by a white racist, so it's problematic and she deserves to get called out for it.— Damn, u lit me up // fan account (@_Naomi_D) November 6, 2019
“You know what..I love your music. But the fact that you said ‘white ppl’ and then refer to us as ‘the blacks’ just furthers the idea that ‘blacks’ aren’t people. That’s an idea that goes wayyy back. I’m mad hurt. Unconscious ideas are a mf. You gotta be aware of what you saying,” one fan wrote.
You know what..I love your music. But the fact that you said “white ppl” and then refer to us as “the blacks” just furthers the idea that “blacks” aren’t people. That’s an idea that goes wayyy back. I’m mad hurt. Unconscious ideas are a mf. You gotta be aware of what you saying.— ... (@whooptywooop) November 5, 2019
- Nicki Minaj says she’s retiring from rap—and fans are losing it
- People are creeped out T.I. takes his daughter to the gynecologist yearly to check her hymen
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt gets roasted for soliciting unpaid creative labor on Twitter—again
Tiffanie Drayton is a geek culture and lifestyle reporter whose work covers everything from gender and race to anime and Xbox. Her work has appeared in Complex, Salon, Marie Claire, Playboy, and elsewhere.