- Despite changes, the YouTube 2019 Rewind video is still massively disliked 3 Months Ago
- ‘Home for Christmas’ brings a needed sharp edge to Christmas rom-com season 3 Months Ago
- Joe Biden seemingly called a voter ‘fat’—but his campaign denies it 3 Months Ago
- The decade in internet scamming Today 9:00 AM
- Bernie Sanders unveils ‘high-speed internet for all’ plan Today 8:59 AM
- Hulu’s ‘Into the Dark’ scores with Christmas-themed ‘A Nasty Piece of Work’ Today 6:00 AM
- West Virginia corrections employees suspended after Nazi salute photo surfaces Thursday 8:02 PM
- Here are the 15 best Eddie Murphy movies available to stream Thursday 7:56 PM
- Ex-InfoWars video editor admits to making up Islamophobic stories Thursday 6:55 PM
- WhatsApp accounts deleted amid Kashmir internet blackout Thursday 6:21 PM
- Guy gets mocked for tattoo of Baby Yoda drinking White Claw Thursday 6:18 PM
- Spotify Wrapped has people asking just how much it knows about us Thursday 5:50 PM
- Instagram account allegedly asked for inappropriate photos of children Thursday 5:16 PM
- How to stream ‘Boys vs. Bears on Thursday Night Football Thursday 4:33 PM
- Woman caught her boyfriend cheating through his Fitbit Thursday 4:29 PM
Nicki Minaj is stepping down from the throne as self-proclaimed Queen of Rap. The artist tweeted on Thursday that she is retiring from music to focus on her personal life and family.
“I’ve decided to retire & have my family. I know you guys are happy now. To my fans, keep reppin me, do it til da death of me, ❌in the box- cuz ain’t nobody checkin me. ✅ Love you for LIFE😘❤️🦄,” Minaj said.
The announcement comes only one month after she shared on her Queen Radio show that she and her boyfriend, Kenneth Petty, have filed for a marriage license, according to Popculture.com.
Some of Minaj’s fans amped up support for the rap star’s transition to her new life.
“I love you more. Thank you for 11 years of life. You’ll forever be my Queen. Stay beautiful and stay reigning. May God bless your beautiful family. Please don’t forget me because I can never forget you. I love you sm. #ReignOnOnika,” user @JaiLovesNicki tweeted.
But many others are mourning her departure from the rap industry.
this is my cue to leave earth pic.twitter.com/nwFWxHDQTC— bubbles || fan account (@arisbubbly) September 5, 2019
Nicki Minaj after running the rap game for 10+yrs. pic.twitter.com/QjYq4AcQ6i— 🤡 (@unknownburner1) September 5, 2019
Minaj won the BET Award for Best Female Hip Hop Artist in 2011 and 2016 and was nominated for 10 Grammys in that five-year period.
The apparent end of Minaj’s career is marked by a standing feud with fellow rapper Cardi B. Many commenters speculated Cardi B’s reaction to the news.
"Nicki Minaj has announced her retirement"— MpyrONE (@OneMpyr) September 5, 2019
Cardi b: pic.twitter.com/BcXFIJJq5n
cardi b on her way to sit on the throne after hearing about nicki minaj retirement pic.twitter.com/wpPC9CgePD— ☕️ (@coffeemaestro_) September 5, 2019
Libby Cohen is a third-year University of Texas student originally from New Jersey. She has written for ORANGE Magazine, the Daily Texan, and most recently interned for 1010 WINS in NYC. She's now back in Austin writing for the Texas Standard and the Daily Dot.