- How to watch Serie A online for free Today 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Today 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
- How to use Tor, the network that lets you browse the web anonymously Saturday 7:30 AM
- How to live stream Devin Haney vs. Antonio Moran on DAZN Saturday 7:00 AM
- Trump’s transphobic policies are disgusting—but they aren’t new Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Copa del Rey Final online for free Saturday 5:45 AM
‘Deadpool’ writers’ next movie will be about New Coke’s epic fail
Now who will play John Pemberton?
According to Deadline, Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick will tackle a movie about the doomed debut of New Coke next. April 23 marked the 30th anniversary of the “new” Coca-Cola formula, which consumers rejected pretty much across the board. A couple months later, Coca-Cola reverted back to the old formula. Can you imagine the social media beatdown the company would face if it tried that today? It would have to switch back in a matter of days.
If you’re thinking, “But a movie about New Coke sounds boring,” you’re not alone, but Reese and Wernick optioned the rights to Thomas Oliver’s book The Real Coke, The Real Story, which explores the disastrous launch and will hopefully bring some of that dark Deadpool humor to it. As AV Club points out, the casting will be everything, especially that of Coca-Cola founder John Pemberton, who kind of looks like Ryan Reynolds here.
Audra Schroeder is the Daily Dot’s senior entertainment writer, and she focuses on streaming, comedy, and music. Her work has previously appeared in the Austin Chronicle, the Dallas Observer, NPR, ESPN, Bitch, and the Village Voice. She is based in Austin, Texas.