- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Friday 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Friday 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Friday 8:34 AM
Dismissed juror in Martin Shkreli trial: ‘He disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan’
Former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli is widely despised on social media. In the real world, people don’t much like him either.
Shkreli was convicted of fraud this month.
On Wednesday Harper’s released transcript of the jury selection process, showing how difficult of a time the court had finding someone who doesn’t hate Shkreli. He’s mostly loathed for infamously raising the price of a potentially lifesaving HIV drug by 5,000 percent back in 2015.
While some jurors cited medical reasons for being biased against Shkreli, others were upset with him for doing things like disrespecting Wu-Tang. He reportedly purchased the sole copy of the rap group’s secret, high-end album, Once Upon a Time in Shaolin, and then flirted with leaking it online. His plans for a listening party in New York City were shut down by the venue, Webster Hall, in February.
Juror No. 144 also just thinks Shkreli “kind of looks like a dick.”
Shkreli is facing 45 years in prison. In January he was pelted in the face with dog poop by an angry protester.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.