- A ‘Black Mirror’ spinoff mini-series is coming to YouTube via Netflix Latin America 2 Years Ago
- Kanye West appears on David Letterman’s Netflix show to talk Trump, TMZ, and Drake Today 3:27 PM
- QAnon believers link small-town arrest to deep state conspiracy without evidence Today 1:58 PM
- Instagram photos showing prison conditions spark massive protest Today 1:33 PM
- ‘Gay rat wedding’ headline sparks amazing new meme Today 1:03 PM
- ‘I read a gossip piece’ meme mocks Moby’s Instagram post Today 12:39 PM
- Rotten Tomatoes wants to see your ticket stub to leave a verified review Today 11:46 AM
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog’ movie delayed to 2020 to fix his look Today 11:39 AM
- ‘Swamp Thing’ gets off to a promising start, but can it tell a convincing love story? Today 11:34 AM
- ‘Falling on deaf ears’: ‘Queer Eye’ star sparks conversation about ableist idioms Today 11:15 AM
- Parents are spending thousands on YouTube camps that teach kids how to be famous Today 10:43 AM
- In season 2 of ‘She’s Gotta Have It,’ Spike Lee remains unapologetically himself Today 10:36 AM
- Trump selling Pride shirts is a grotesque insult to the LGBTQ community Today 10:27 AM
- Logan Paul is being mocked for pulling out of slapping competition Today 9:57 AM
- 47 House Democrats sign criticized net neutrality working group letter Today 9:17 AM
Dismissed juror in Martin Shkreli trial: ‘He disrespected the Wu-Tang Clan’
Former hedge fund manager Martin Shkreli is widely despised on social media. In the real world, people don’t much like him either.
Shkreli was convicted of fraud this month.
On Wednesday Harper’s released transcript of the jury selection process, showing how difficult of a time the court had finding someone who doesn’t hate Shkreli. He’s mostly loathed for infamously raising the price of a potentially lifesaving HIV drug by 5,000 percent back in 2015.
While some jurors cited medical reasons for being biased against Shkreli, others were upset with him for doing things like disrespecting Wu-Tang. He reportedly purchased the sole copy of the rap group’s secret, high-end album, Once Upon a Time in Shaolin, and then flirted with leaking it online. His plans for a listening party in New York City were shut down by the venue, Webster Hall, in February.
Juror No. 144 also just thinks Shkreli “kind of looks like a dick.”
Shkreli is facing 45 years in prison. In January he was pelted in the face with dog poop by an angry protester.
Sarah Jasmine Montgomery is a Daily Dot contributor whose writing and criticism cover all things pop culture, with an emphasis on how communities of color impact physical and digital cultural spaces. Her writing and photography have also appeared in Texas Monthly, the Fader, Complex, and Billboard.