- Gynecologist explains why garlic shouldn’t go in vaginas Wednesday 7:08 PM
- People on Twitter are posting the 5 weirdest jobs they’ve had for this meme Wednesday 6:48 PM
- Mortal Kombat 11’s Jax ends slavery—and gamers are pissed Wednesday 5:46 PM
- GPS app gave hacker ability to remotely shut off car engines Wednesday 3:58 PM
- Scott Walker wore jeans for sexual assault awareness, and Twitter is reminding him of his misogynist past Wednesday 3:24 PM
- Hacked Lime scooters make sexual comments to riders Wednesday 3:03 PM
- ‘Bonding’ squanders its potential with weak jokes and limp structure Wednesday 2:49 PM
- The safest place for ‘Game of Thrones’ memes is in the crypts Wednesday 2:23 PM
- Report: Fortnite developer Epic Games is working employees into the ground Wednesday 1:57 PM
- Damian Lillard’s game-winning 3-pointer inspired a plethora of memes Wednesday 12:17 PM
- Gamers are blaming socialism for making the women in Mortal Kombat ‘ugly’ Wednesday 11:36 AM
- Nickelodeon is selling SpongeBob toys based on popular memes Wednesday 11:25 AM
- Alex Jones protests outside the White House by shouting the name of his website Wednesday 11:13 AM
- ‘I Think You Should Leave with Tim Robinson’ has an absurd conclusion for every scenario Wednesday 10:52 AM
- Twitch star TF Blade banned for racial slur—but he swears he didn’t say it Wednesday 10:43 AM
All of the stories follow the same pattern: A person becomes famous or gains notoriety for one thing, and the internet uncovers horrific tweets from years ago. This revelation is usually followed by a tearful apology from the star posted to Instagram, YouTube, and every other social platform.
Today’s tearful apology comes from YouTube star Laura Lee. Lee is a model and influencer with a massive audience. Over 4.8 million subscribers check out her YouTube channel with 2.4 million fans tuning in her for makeup and beauty tips on Instagram.
Racist tweets from the social influencer from 2012 resurfaced after the release of a documentary from Shane Dawson about another YouTube and makeup tip star, Jeffree Star. Cosmo summed it all up in this article about Lee, Star, and the backlash against several YouTube celebs. The documentary brought about some social media back and forth that pointed users to Lee’s old tweets.
Twitter detectives got to work and uncovered a tweet by Lee where she offered free advice to African-Americans on how to handle the police.
Gabriel is so fake. He was friends with Jeffree and kept his mouth quiet when he was allegedly making these racist remarks. Funny how he says he doesnt stan racists but Laura Lee, his bff, deleted her account because people were exposing her ignorant tweets towards black people pic.twitter.com/9yrIE3evTv
— Gorgeous George (@WasicallyWabbit) August 13, 2018
Twitter users blasted Lee for the comment.
She posted a reaction on Twitter that promised a video explanation.
In the video, titled “My Apology,” Lee tearfully asked for forgiveness from fans and admitted she couldn’t stand to look at herself in the mirror.
As of Monday afternoon, Lee remains quiet on Twitter.
Chris Illuminati is an author and reporter whose work for the Daily Dot focuses on meme culture. His work has been published in Rolling Stone, FanSided, BroBible, Penthouse, and AskMen.