- Pete Buttigieg mocked over ‘staged’ walking photo Today 12:22 PM
- Louise Linton deletes pro-Greta Thunberg Instagram post Today 10:58 AM
- ‘Crip Camp’ shows how a radical summer camp was monumental to the disability rights movement Today 9:08 AM
- How to live stream the 2020 Grammy Awards Today 7:00 AM
- Technology created deepfakes—does it have a way to stop them, too? Today 6:30 AM
- SESTA-FOSTA is ‘detrimental’ to sex workers’ safety, study confirms Today 6:00 AM
- Jeff Bezos’ girlfriend allegedly sent his nudes to her brother, who then leaked them Saturday 6:38 PM
- This Instagram account catches influencers in the wild Saturday 5:42 PM
- The best upcoming video games to look out for in February 2020 Saturday 5:23 PM
- TikTok teens use AirPods and Google Translate to secretly talk in class Saturday 4:32 PM
- Video shows corpses of coronavirus victims lying in China hospital Saturday 3:44 PM
- Kid meets Slipknot after drumming video goes viral Saturday 2:30 PM
- Channing Tatum responds to troll who tried to compare Jenna Dewan and Jessie J’s looks Saturday 1:46 PM
- Grindr pulls an ‘I don’t know her’ after Eminem suggests he uses the app Saturday 12:48 PM
- Here are the top 10 most popular Instagram models in 2020 Saturday 12:21 PM
“WOW this is obviously fake!” Kardashian West tweeted on Monday. “@Refinery29 I did not get JFK’s shirt. That is a sick joke that someone tweeted as a fake ig story that I never posted.”
The falsified post likely made as a joke included a picture of Kennedy’s bloody shirt. The photo also included the caption, “along with the Michael Jackson’s [sic] jacket and hat, North also got the shirt John F. Kennedy wore when he was assassinated.” The original article questioned why Kardashian West would get North such a gift, but concluded, “regardless of the motivation behind the gifts, one thing is for certain: Kardashian West is building one hell of a fashion archive for her daughter.”
Many were amazed that Refinery29 fell for the fake post circulating on social media.
“I AM SCREAMING someone tweeted as a joke that Kim Kardashian gifted North JFK’s bloody shirt and Refinery29 wrote about it as if it were true????” Twitter user @NinaLMohan wrote.
I AM SCREAMING someone tweeted as a joke that Kim Kardashian gifted North JFK’s bloody shirt and Refinery29 wrote about it as if it were true???? pic.twitter.com/a1KYNc2Jx3— Nina Mohan 🇱🇰 (@NinaLMohan) December 30, 2019
Some used the story to joke about the current state of journalism.
“Me, writing a piece, too scared to say things without having 30000 different studies to back up my arguments: i am,,, a failure… salaried editors at mainstream pubs:” one writer, @rozzybox, tweeted.
me, writing a piece, too scared to say things without having 30000 different studies to back up my arguments: i am,,, a failure— roslyn talusan (@rozzybox) December 30, 2019
salaried editors at mainstream pubs: https://t.co/kLCspEV5I4
Others commented on how we have become so accustomed to seeing the Kardashians’ ridiculously wealthy lifestyles, that it makes sense someone would believe this story.
Refinery29 has since updated the story, admitting it removed the “falsified Instagram image.”
Though it may seem ridiculous people were gullible enough to believe Kardashian West would gift her daughter Kennedy’s bloody shirt, the Kardashians are known for getting their children lavish gifts. North was gifted Michael Jackson’s jacket and hat, and Kylie Jenner’s daughter Stormi assumed she was getting a Birkin bag for Christmas this year.
- Kris Jenner gave her granddaughter Stormi a ridiculous ‘playhouse’ for Christmas
- Kylie Jenner criticized for yet another expensive car post
- Why QAnon believers think JFK Jr. is going to reappear today
Esther Bell is a writer for the Daily Dot. She recently graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in journalism, and her work has appeared in Bustle and Teen Vogue.