- Workers claim Google made spy tool to prevent them from organizing Wednesday 8:13 PM
- Hailey Bieber denies shading Selena Gomez with ‘I’ll Kill You’ Instagram post Wednesday 7:46 PM
- Trump signed an ego tweet sheet for Tomi Lahren–and it features conspiracy theorists Wednesday 6:59 PM
- Attorneys say ICE deleted evidence pertaining to transgender asylum seeker’s death Wednesday 6:24 PM
- Everything you need to know about VSCO filter codes Wednesday 6:17 PM
- Are users prepared to pay for Gmail storage space? Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Facebook pledges $1 billion to fight housing crisis it helped create Wednesday 5:16 PM
- Lizzo officially credits ‘DNA test’ tweet writer on ‘Truth Hurts’ Wednesday 4:50 PM
- Pornhub takes down videos secretly filmed in a college women’s locker room Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google Maps on iPhone now shows you speed traps Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Here’s why you’re seeing ‘rise and shine’ all over social media Wednesday 3:45 PM
- AOC grills Zuckerberg over false political ads on Facebook Wednesday 3:27 PM
- Fox News promotes pro-faith, anti-antifa film ‘The Reliant’ Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Cardi B to star in ‘Fast & Furious 9’ Wednesday 3:12 PM
- AOC on opening her DMs: ‘By this morning, it was trash’ Wednesday 2:26 PM
The internet on Friday was awash with reactions to the very public exchange between Khloe Kardashian and Jordyn Woods. The dominating attitude was in defense of Woods, and Black women on Twitter especially didn’t hold back criticism of Kardashian.
In an interview on Jada Pinkett Smith’s Red Table Talk on Friday, Woods defended reports that accused her of getting cozy with Kardashian’s ex-boyfriend, Tristan Thompson. Woods admitted to being drunk at a party with Thompson and that he kissed her on the lips, but she said he “didn’t make any moves” and denied reports that she had given him a lap dance.
Kardashian responded to the interview with tweets accusing Woods of “lying” and saying the 21-year-old was “the reason my family broke up.”
“If you’re going to try and save yourself by going public, INSTEAD OF CALLING ME PRIVATELY TO APOLOGIZE FIRST, at least be HONEST about your story,” Kardashian tweeted. She also said Thompson is “equally to blame” but that because he’s the father of her child, she did not want to publicly condemn him.
Why are you lying @jordynwoods ?? If you’re going to try and save yourself by going public, INSTEAD OF CALLING ME PRIVATELY TO APOLOGIZE FIRST, at least be HONEST about your story. BTW, You ARE the reason my family broke up!— Khloé (@khloekardashian) March 1, 2019
Tristan is equally to blame but Tristan is the father of my child. Regardless of what he does to me I won’t do that to my daughter. He has been addressing this situation PRIVATELY. If Tristan were to lie publicly about what conspired,then yes I would address him publicly as well— Khloé (@khloekardashian) March 1, 2019
As Cosmopolitan reports, Thompson also posted a tweet after the interview that said “FAKE NEWS” but quickly deleted it. But Kardashian’s tweets were met with backlash, especially from women of color who called Kardashian a hypocrite for publicly dragging Woods. It’s been widely reported that Thompson started dating Kardashian when his ex-girlfriend before her, Jordan Craig, was pregnant (Thompson has been accused of cheating on Kardashian with other women in the past, too).
*Tristan Thompson cheats on Khloe Kardashian*— Desi Alexander (@desi_4018) February 21, 2019
Black women: pic.twitter.com/doi1f6Q2mn
And as several users pointed out, Woods’ account of the night with Thompson—that she was drunk when he approached her—could indicate harassment.
Jordyn facing backlash when she has been sexually harassed while Tristan goes unscathed and Khloe is bashing her, this is not only an example of misogyny but racism. The media’s portrayal of black women makes me sick. pic.twitter.com/mQbqcFTsTZ— nathan (@ELKlESNO) March 1, 2019
Given the Kardashians family’s history of appropriation and treatment of women of color, it’s not a good look.
Y’all should’ve known from HERE how Khloé Kardashian feels about black women. pic.twitter.com/twj7GMP6F4— happy harry. (@fckwithWILLY) March 1, 2019
Groupon even chimed in, referencing a famous Taylor Swift line, after writer Clarkisha Kent tweeted at Khloe Kardashian that “you ain’t care when he was sharing his Groupon peen with the world while you were pregnant with Two Truths and a Lie.”
“We would very much like to be excluded from this narrative,” Groupon tweeted.
THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON HERE I’M YELLING pic.twitter.com/BJIpW6Rd6b— ★ (@legallyines) March 1, 2019
A better narrative for Kardashian to consider, perhaps, would include accountability for Thompson.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.