- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
The internet on Friday was awash with reactions to the very public exchange between Khloe Kardashian and Jordyn Woods. The dominating attitude was in defense of Woods, and Black women on Twitter especially didn’t hold back criticism of Kardashian.
In an interview on Jada Pinkett Smith’s Red Table Talk on Friday, Woods defended reports that accused her of getting cozy with Kardashian’s ex-boyfriend, Tristan Thompson. Woods admitted to being drunk at a party with Thompson and that he kissed her on the lips, but she said he “didn’t make any moves” and denied reports that she had given him a lap dance.
Kardashian responded to the interview with tweets accusing Woods of “lying” and saying the 21-year-old was “the reason my family broke up.”
“If you’re going to try and save yourself by going public, INSTEAD OF CALLING ME PRIVATELY TO APOLOGIZE FIRST, at least be HONEST about your story,” Kardashian tweeted. She also said Thompson is “equally to blame” but that because he’s the father of her child, she did not want to publicly condemn him.
Why are you lying @jordynwoods ?? If you’re going to try and save yourself by going public, INSTEAD OF CALLING ME PRIVATELY TO APOLOGIZE FIRST, at least be HONEST about your story. BTW, You ARE the reason my family broke up!— Khloé (@khloekardashian) March 1, 2019
Tristan is equally to blame but Tristan is the father of my child. Regardless of what he does to me I won’t do that to my daughter. He has been addressing this situation PRIVATELY. If Tristan were to lie publicly about what conspired,then yes I would address him publicly as well— Khloé (@khloekardashian) March 1, 2019
As Cosmopolitan reports, Thompson also posted a tweet after the interview that said “FAKE NEWS” but quickly deleted it. But Kardashian’s tweets were met with backlash, especially from women of color who called Kardashian a hypocrite for publicly dragging Woods. It’s been widely reported that Thompson started dating Kardashian when his ex-girlfriend before her, Jordan Craig, was pregnant (Thompson has been accused of cheating on Kardashian with other women in the past, too).
*Tristan Thompson cheats on Khloe Kardashian*— Desi Alexander (@desi_4018) February 21, 2019
Black women: pic.twitter.com/doi1f6Q2mn
And as several users pointed out, Woods’ account of the night with Thompson—that she was drunk when he approached her—could indicate harassment.
Jordyn facing backlash when she has been sexually harassed while Tristan goes unscathed and Khloe is bashing her, this is not only an example of misogyny but racism. The media’s portrayal of black women makes me sick. pic.twitter.com/mQbqcFTsTZ— nathan (@ELKlESNO) March 1, 2019
Given the Kardashians family’s history of appropriation and treatment of women of color, it’s not a good look.
Y’all should’ve known from HERE how Khloé Kardashian feels about black women. pic.twitter.com/twj7GMP6F4— happy harry. (@fckwithWILLY) March 1, 2019
Groupon even chimed in, referencing a famous Taylor Swift line, after writer Clarkisha Kent tweeted at Khloe Kardashian that “you ain’t care when he was sharing his Groupon peen with the world while you were pregnant with Two Truths and a Lie.”
“We would very much like to be excluded from this narrative,” Groupon tweeted.
THERE IS SO MUCH GOING ON HERE I’M YELLING pic.twitter.com/BJIpW6Rd6b— ★ (@legallyines) March 1, 2019
A better narrative for Kardashian to consider, perhaps, would include accountability for Thompson.
Kris Seavers is the IRL editor for the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.