- Tom Brady keeps supplying us with new meme material Friday 5:55 PM
- Emails reveal Facebook’s knowledge of Cambridge Analytica Friday 3:43 PM
- ‘Fast and Furious’ + ‘American Ninja Warrior’ = Netflix’s ‘Hyperdrive’ Friday 3:15 PM
- Trump jokes drop in Dow is because Seth Moulton dropped out of 2020 race Friday 3:13 PM
- What we learned when we visited Mr. B, America’s chonkiest cat Friday 1:46 PM
- Trump’s new plan to fight opioid overdose? This tweet Friday 1:06 PM
- Fitness influencer shamed for ‘sharing numbers’ in weight loss posts Friday 1:04 PM
- The VSCO Girl has always been here Friday 1:01 PM
- Tomi Lahren’s new ‘Freedom’ clothing line is made for meme mockery Friday 12:21 PM
- Taylor Swift’s ‘London Boy’ is a bop, but Brits don’t think her lyrics are accurate Friday 12:02 PM
- Popeyes blasted for employee welfare amid chicken sandwich war Friday 11:59 AM
- Cory Booker says nonbinary ‘niephew’ taught him about trans issues Friday 11:53 AM
- Megachurch pushes conversion therapy on Instagram, Facebook with #OnceGay Friday 11:11 AM
- Christian movie review site blasts Netflix’s ‘The Family’ Friday 10:50 AM
- YouTube removes ‘coordinated’ channels spreading Hong Kong misinformation Friday 8:58 AM
Since its investigation launched, the Old Vic theater said Thursday that it had received 20 allegations against Kevin Spacey from 20 men who came into contact with the actor at the theater, Reuters reported.
The Old Vic’s hotline is staffed by external advisers, and they’re hoping it will be a resource for people to report issues they might have felt “unable to raise” for whatever reason. Spacey has been accused of sexual misconduct by two separate people so far this week, and since Spacey’s case shares a similar widely joked-about open-secret vibe to disgraced studio head Harvey Weinstein‘s, the theater is rapidly working to make every resource they can available. Spacey served as the Old Vic’s artistic director from 2004–2015.
In a statement on Oct. 31, the theater explained that the reported behavior “is completely unacceptable”—at odds with the kind of community they’re hoping to cultivate. “We aim to foster a safe and supportive environment without prejudice, harassment or bullying of any sort, at any level,” it wrote. “We want our employees to feel confident, valued and proud to be part of The Old Vic family. Any behaviour we become aware of which contravenes these goals will not be tolerated.”
The Old Vic invited anyone connected with the theater who feels they “have a complaint that [they] were unable to raise” to send it to [email protected]
Our Official Statement: https://t.co/j4ilSse6kn— The Old Vic (@oldvictheatre) October 31, 2017
This news comes just a month after Texas movie theater chain Alamo Drafthouse and Los Angeles theater Cinefamily were forced to reckon with sexual harassment allegations in their own communities. Cinefamily similarly set up a hotline.
The Old Vic told Reuters it received no response from Spacey after asking him to participate in the investigation. The theater also said it could not confirm whether the allegations were true or not.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.