- The Deplorable Choir drops diss track aimed at 4 congresswomen from Trump’s racist tweets Wednesday 8:09 PM
- Florida city is pushing homeless people out by playing ‘Baby Shark’ on a loop Wednesday 7:27 PM
- A ‘Gossip Girl’ reboot is coming to HBO Max–and fans are not happy with the casting details Wednesday 6:44 PM
- Beto can’t leverage his slave owner ancestry to gain Black voters’ trust Wednesday 5:51 PM
- Oakland to become the third U.S. city to ban facial recognition Wednesday 5:50 PM
- ‘Release the Snyder Cut’ billboards pop up outside of San Diego Comic-Con Wednesday 5:24 PM
- Iggy Azalea and Peppa Pig have an epic Twitter fight Wednesday 4:39 PM
- Should you be concerned about your privacy on FaceApp? Wednesday 4:15 PM
- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China Wednesday 3:33 PM
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing Wednesday 3:14 PM
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Wednesday 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Wednesday 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Wednesday 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Wednesday 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Wednesday 12:18 PM
This old ‘Family Guy’ joke about Kevin Spacey is eerily prescient
The episode is from 2005.
Sunday evening, actor Anthony Rapp stepped forward with a personal account of Spacey making sexual advances toward him in 1986, when Rapp was just 14 years old. Afterward, Spacey released a statement saying he does “not remember the encounter,” but also took the opportunity to come out of the closet “as a gay man.” People puzzled over the response on Twitter: the hypothetical gayness of Rapp’s allegations shouldn’t distract from the actual topic, which is pedophilia.
But the discussion jogged at least one fan’s memory in a surprising way: a 2005 episode of Family Guy features a short scene where the show’s youngest character runs naked through a shopping mall and yells, “Help! I’ve escaped from Kevin Spacey’s basement! Help me!”
Family Guy with the Kevin Spacey reference twelve years ago... creepy. pic.twitter.com/bVbEOLlAwz— Josh Jordan (@NumbersMuncher) October 30, 2017
It looks like Spacey’s alleged sexual misconduct may have been discussed in Hollywood years before it finally became news today.
Less than a month ago, Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane made headlines for another seemingly prescient joke he delivered while announcing the nominees for the 2013 Oscars—one about actresses needing to pretend they’re attracted to disgraced studio head Harvey Weinstein. Weinstein’s sexual misconduct allegations have snowballed into a case that now spans decades of his career.
Christine Friar is a writer and editor in New York who focuses on streaming entertainment and internet culture. Her work has appeared in the Awl, the Fader, New York Magazine, Paper Magazine, Vogue, Elle, and more.