- Is social media normalizing cultural appropriation? 6 Years Ago
- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Today 6:36 AM
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ Today 4:30 AM
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
- Firework is a social video app with a literal twist Monday 2:46 PM
Jesus walks, “Yeezus” leaks
The highly anticipated new album by Kanye West just leaked.
Yeezus, the highly anticipated sixth studio album by Kanye West, has leaked—and everyone is scrambling to get a hold of it.
The album is scheduled to be released on Tuesday, June 18, but a high-quality version has been circulating around the various torrent sites. The leak came out the same day that the 10-song tracklisting was announced and just days after New York Times published a provocative, enthralling interview with the Chicago-bred rapper.
News of the leak has also been confirmed by @HasYeezusLeaked, a self-explanatory Twitter parody account.
— Did Yeezus Leak Yet? (@HasYeezusLeaked) June 14, 2013
According to social analytics site Topsy, “Yeezus” has been mentioned on Twitter 75,000 times in the last hour alone.
So how is it? Based on his Saturday Night Live performance and various guerilla-marketing events, the record marks a dark, almost industrial turn for West, a style he’s described as “black new wave.” The initial Twitter reaction has been overwhelmingly positive.
Chris Hayes, host of MSNBC’s Up, wants to open tonight’s show with it.
Can we get away with leading the show w/ the Yeezus leak?
— Christopher Hayes (@chrislhayes) June 14, 2013
Nick Robinson, a Los Angeles-based filmmaker and West’s biggest fan, is already declaring it the album of the year.
I’m halfway through and this is leagues better than any other album I’ve heard this year. Never doubted him for a second.
— Nick Robinson (@Nickrob) June 14, 2013
While Yeezus, which features four collaborations with Daft Punk, has only been out for a few hours, hip-hop database Rap Genius already has the lyrics to all 10 songs available.
“Yeezy season approaching,” West raps in the opening track, “On Site,” according to Rap Genius.
Based on how quickly the album is spreading, it’s already here.
Photo via Kenny Sun/Flickr
Fidel Martinez is a web culture and politics reporter. His work for the Daily Dot focused on Reddit and YouTube.