- ‘American Dirt’ controversy inspires meme about Latinx stereotypes in literature Wednesday 9:02 PM
- What is the TikTok ‘flex challenge’? Wednesday 8:03 PM
- GoFundMe to send ‘Target Tori’ on vacation raises more than $30K Wednesday 6:54 PM
- Furries stop domestic assault in viral video Wednesday 6:10 PM
- Gritty under police investigation for allegedly punching a teen fan Wednesday 6:04 PM
- Twitter users throw animal parties with emoji in new meme Wednesday 5:21 PM
- Woman who went viral supporting Soleimani killing exposed as Libyan militia lobbyist Wednesday 5:01 PM
- Jeff Bezos subtweets Saudi prince following phone hack report Wednesday 3:29 PM
- ‘Yeah, good. OK’ Bernie Sanders meme is a new way to dismiss people Wednesday 3:10 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Petty displays of affection Wednesday 2:12 PM
- Makeup artist transforms into Timothée Chalamet on TikTok Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Iguanas are falling from trees—and people are selling them online for food Wednesday 1:02 PM
- 75,000 sign petition to fire Wendy Williams after ‘cleft lip’ comment about Joaquin Phoenix Wednesday 12:30 PM
- Kim Kardashian says Kylie Jenner’s setting spray is ‘cheap sh*t’ Wednesday 11:59 AM
- Trump continues to demand Apple unlock iPhones for the government Wednesday 11:46 AM
Meet Kai, hatchet-wielding hitchhiker and all-around nice guy
We finally get to meet the man behind the hatchet: Caleb Lawrence, known as Kai, who saved two innocent bystanders from the insane clutches of a giant raving racist.
We finally get to meet the man behind the hatchet.
On Feb. 1, a homeless hitchhiker named Kai saved two innocent bystanders from the insane clutches of a giant raving racist who claimed he was the reincarnation of Jesus Christ.
“Smash, smash, suh-mash,” was how Kai described himself as he beat down the man with his hatchet. He was speaking to Jessob Reisbeck of Fresno’s Fox affiliate KMPH in an interview that quickly reached near-double-rainbow proportions of popularity on the Internet.
People were as taken with the weird series of events as they were with Kai himself. Like a superhero who’s defined by his nemesis, Kai was the very antithesis of the raving murdering racist he stopped cold with his hatchet. He explained he intervened that day because he’s guided by a simple philosophy of just being decent, of treating people like people, no matter where they come from or what they look like.
It was high-minded moral philosophy from a homeless surfer dude who just beat down an attempted murderer with the blunt end of a hatchet. Naturally people wanted to know more about Kai. Where did he come from? Why was he so damn nice? Could he riff on the guitar?
Kai became has become an international celebrity of sorts and has fielded interview offers from all over the world. But he still gave his first post-hatchet beatdown interview to Reisbeck, the reporter who he first spoke to.
Here’s what we learned about Kai:
- His real name is Caleb Lawrence and he’s from Western Canada.
- He was “raised by the TV” in the “ghettos.”
- He was molested as a child and perhaps abused in other ways, too. The interview isn’t clear. Reisbeck says some of the stuff that happened to Kai when he was young is simply too graphic to air.
- He copes with his traumatic childhood by “being the dad [he] always wanted” to his “inner child.”
- He speaks French and supposedly two other languages.
- Something about a giant car battery at the center of the Earth.
- He can sing.
Photo via Jessob Reisbeck/YouTube
Kevin Morris is a veteran web reporter and editor who specializes in longform journalism. He led the Daily Dot’s esports vertical and, following its acquisition by GAMURS in late 2016, launched Dot Esports, where he serves as the site’s editor-in-chief.