- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
Can the Internet handle a J.J. Abrams “Star Wars” flick?
The director of Star Trek is now also the director of Star Wars Episode VII. Cue the Jar Jar Abrams jokes.
Two months ago, Star Trek reboot guru J.J. Abrams denied rumors that he might be the next Star Wars director. But now industry reports reveal Abrams is taking over the light saber after all for Episode VII, the first Star Wars sequel since 1983.
The news comes just three months after the bombshell of Disney buying the beloved Star Wars franchise, with plans to produce three more films as early as 2015. That news sparked plenty of “Disney princess Leia” jokes, and more.
So how’s the Internet taking the news that the creator of Lost and Fringe and the director of Star Trek is cornering the market on epic science fiction? Popculturebrain said it best:
Photo via popculturebrain/Tumblr
“He has UNLIMITED POWER over the sci fi world,” echoed Tumblr user sonx15:
Photo via sonx15/Tumblr
Photo via ed-pool/Tumblr
Photo via plasticfangs/Tumblr
Photo via tokyo_sexwhale/Twitter
Even the celebs are doing it:
Screengrab via woodelijah/Twitter
And the movie posters are already being redone:
Photomanip by cochisemfc/Deviantart
But don’t worry: “When the lens flare jokes get exhausted, we’re gonna switch over to Jar Jar Abrams,” notes Tumblr user 24thoughtspersecond.
And there’s plenty of Lost jokes to be had as well:
Photo via cecysblog/Tumblr
Musical Lost jokes get their turn; and remember that time Cracked.com made a Lost Wars parody?
Perhaps “Darth Vader will adopt a pet smoke monster.” And perhaps J.J. Abrams will inevitably agree to direct all the things.
Still not everyone is dubious. “I want a Star Wars/Star Trek crossover to happen now,” wrote one eager Tumblr user.
But the most likely result of Abrams’ turn behind the camera is all too clear, as writer Annabel Oakes points out:
“Now your aunt is NEVER going to stop confusing Star Wars and Star Trek.”
Photo via marsrioting/Tumblr
Aja Romano is a geek culture reporter and fandom expert. Their reporting at the Daily Dot covered everything from Harry Potter and anime to Tumblr and Gamergate. Romano joined Vox as a staff reporter in 2016.