- Cooking Mama’s return whips up a fresh batch of memes Tuesday 8:18 PM
- Influencer body-shames model, Photoshops photo of self to ‘prove point’ Tuesday 7:27 PM
- Boosie Badazz goes on transphobic rant about Dwyane Wade’s daughter Tuesday 6:34 PM
- Royal Family’s website accidentally links to porn instead of charity Tuesday 5:39 PM
- Republican senator spreads false conspiracy about coronavirus Tuesday 5:11 PM
- New DNA technology could help exonerate Black man serving life sentence Tuesday 4:24 PM
- ‘SNL’s’ Kenan Thompson to host the White House Correspondents’ Dinner Tuesday 3:58 PM
- Singer Summer Walker dragged for insensitive HIV comments Tuesday 2:39 PM
- This video of a teddy bear getting steam cleaned makes a perfect meme Tuesday 2:27 PM
- Ted Cruz goes on Twitter tirade over proposed vasectomy bill Tuesday 2:22 PM
- Billie Eilish says she’s stopped reading Instagram comments Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Christian group blames satanists for Twitter poll results Tuesday 1:41 PM
- Coronavirus has pandemic-themed video games topping charts Tuesday 12:58 PM
- Bloomberg said kids are drawn to socialism because they think it involves social media Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Jake Paul gives ill-informed advice on how to deal with anxiety Tuesday 12:25 PM
The excitement over Popeyes’ coveted crispy chicken sandwich has apparently left rapper/entrepreneur Ja Rule disgusted with Black people. On Tuesday, the “Holla Holla” rapper expressed his disappointment on Twitter with terse remarks about the state of Black America.
“Y’all really out here acting like n****s over a fucking chicken sandwich… smh…,” Ja Rule wrote. “Now I’m never gonna eat one on principles alone!!! Fucking idiots y’all are what’s wrong with our people… I’m so disappointed in my ppl we better than this…”
Y’all really out here acting like niggas over a fucking chicken sandwich... smh... now I’m never gonna eat one on principles alone!!! Fucking idiots y’all are what’s wrong with our people... I’m so disappointed in my ppl we better than this...— Ja Rule (@jarule) November 5, 2019
While the sandwich has initiated numerous socioeconomic discussions, Ja Rule’s disgust likely stems from the reports of a Maryland man being killed in a fight over a Popeyes fried chicken sandwich on Monday.
The problem, of course, is the internet has a long memory. Bloodthirsty Twitter users, seeing chum in the waters, were quick to remind Ja Rule of his involvement in 2017’s disastrous Fyre Festival, in which concertgoers were stranded on the island of Great Exuma and at least one attendee or employee received a dilapidated cheese sandwich as a meal.
The responses were swift and similar in their message. “Ja should’ve just sat there and ate his cheese sandwich,” one user wrote. “You should not be bringing up sandwiches Fyre Fraud Festival King,” another advised.
You remember this, Ja? pic.twitter.com/xuhKRGa67t— X (@XLNB) November 5, 2019
Ja Rule should've just sat there and ate his cheese sandwich— The Hip-Hop Homegirl (@TatyanaJenene) November 5, 2019
You should not be bringing up sandwiches Fyre Fraud Festival King— Sara’s mouse is voting for Cheese Please (@surrealyo) November 5, 2019
Ashley Smalls also called to attention to Andy King, the man whom Fyre co-founder Billy McFarland allegedly asked to perform oral sex on a customs official in exchange for drinking water.
He almost gave a bj to someone so YOUR festival could have water. We didn’t forget pic.twitter.com/jGsZkhR7g1— Ashley K. (@AshleyKSmalls) November 5, 2019
Some were more pointed in calling out Ja Rule’s alleged involvement with the failed festival, calling the rapper a “whole scammer” and reminding him that he “had people almost killing over them cheese sandwiches.”
But you’re a whole scammer, at least Popeyes is giving customers what they paid for. pic.twitter.com/QyKGM4HjW0— Devin Daniel (@bluboy4ever) November 5, 2019
Last but not least, at least one Twitter user responded with Dave Chappelle’s classic Ja Rule bit.
As of this morning, Ja Rule is unfortunately still wilding on Twitter, asking followers to catch him up on the etymology of the N-word.
Is anyone else confused by this??? I was taught the word nigger meant ignorant now I look it up it says it means black...— Ja Rule (@jarule) November 6, 2019
Kahron Spearman is a music and film critic whose work can also regularly be regularly found in the Austin Chronicle.