- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
- Kylie Jenner opens up about her mental health in candid Instagram post Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Fans speculate wildly about Naomi Watts’ ‘Game of Thrones’ prequel role after leaked set photo Tuesday 3:54 PM
- New Jersey congressman joins House Democrats ‘Squad’ because of an Onion article Tuesday 3:09 PM
- Twitter begins rolling out new desktop redesign, and users aren’t happy Tuesday 1:54 PM
- Man asks his girlfriend to ‘unlove’ her ex—and people do not agree with him Tuesday 1:37 PM
- Relive a forgotten gem with the TurboGrafx-16 Mini console Tuesday 1:09 PM
- Judge says Daily Stormer founder must pay $14 million for harassing Jewish realtor Tuesday 1:01 PM
- Graphic depiction of suicide cut from Netflix’s ’13 Reasons Why’ Tuesday 12:55 PM
- Streaming titles seize 2019 Emmy nominations Tuesday 12:19 PM
- ‘Frankenstein’s Monster’s Monster, Frankenstein’ tries to find humor in bad actors Tuesday 12:02 PM
Here’s the latest trailer for ‘The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1’
Up until now, all we’ve seen are a couple of propaganda videos.
In its ongoing mission to be the most miserable teen movie franchise of all time, The Hunger Games has released its first depressing (yet awesome) teaser trailer for Mockingjay Part 1.
Up until now, all we’ve seen are a couple of propaganda videos where a brainwashed Peeta Mellark stands silently by the side of the evil President Snow. This trailer shows the first proper footage from the movie, piling on the fictional misery (Katniss Everdeen’s encroaching PTSD) with the real-world sadness of seeing the late Philip Seymour Hoffman in one of his final roles.
The trailer also introduces two important new characters: President Coin, played by Julianne Moore, and Game of Thrones’ Natalie Dormer as Cressida.
Mockingjay Part 1 will see Panem descend from civil unrest into outright revolution, with Katniss as the somewhat unwilling figurehead of the rebellion. It picks up directly from where The Hunger Games: Catching Fire left off, so now’s the time to catch up if you haven’t watched the first two movies already.
Screengrab via The Hunger Games/YouTube
Gavia Baker-Whitelaw is a staff writer at the Daily Dot, covering geek culture and fandom. Specializing in sci-fi movies and superheroes, she also appears as a film and TV critic on BBC radio. Elsewhere, she co-hosts the pop culture podcast Overinvested. Follow her on Twitter: @Hello_Tailor