- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
Reviews are scathing, social media is roasting it, and people are even walking out.
It’s not a good start for the detective comedy Holmes and Watson. Actually, it’s horrible.
It seemed like a cocktail for a funny movie. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are an iconic duo both starring together in comedy classics including Step Brothers and Talladega Nights. But their rendition of Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson has completely flopped.
The movie, released on Christmas, has a 4 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and tons of scathing reviews.
If you can believe it, the movie’s score has gone up. Wednesday it sat at a 0 percent rating.
“The only compelling mystery about ‘Holmes & Watson’ is how so many funny people have been squeezed into such an unfunny movie, a movie that isn’t nearly smart enough to recognize how stupid it should have been,” David Ehrlich from indieWire wrote.
Dana Schwartz from Entertainment Weekly gave the movie a D+, adding, “If you choose to watch this movie, you’ll be treated to an hour and a half of different versions of the same gag.”
Twitter hates it, too.
Holmes and Watson was so freaking bad😂
— Preston impatiently waiting for Galaxy’s Edge (@PrestonAtDisney) December 27, 2018
I can’t even put into words how bad Holmes and Watson is. Literally worst movie I’ve ever seen
— Kevin (@kvnpryor) December 27, 2018
Sometimes a trailer does truly represent how bad a film is, Holmes and Watson fits that bill. I hope it bombs at the box office. https://t.co/vKgxGPI7Pc
— Jake Armistead (@JakeArmistead) December 27, 2018
Nieces and nephew lugged us all to see the movie “Holmes and Watson.” Wow. Soooooo bad. Not a single laugh. Terrible. Really. Really. Really.
— Mark (@2084_the_app) December 26, 2018
— Jonathan Berk (@berkie1) December 26, 2018
Holmes and Watson
Can’t describe to you how bad it was
— Bradley Clarke (@Bradley__Clarke) December 27, 2018
Some even reportedly walked out of the theater.
— Stephanie Moreno (@fefisita) December 26, 2018
— rhonda adams (@zuzu_adams) December 27, 2018
Out of countless movies these past 20 years – I have never walked out of a movie theater until today. Holmes and Watson is by far the biggest disappointment of 2018
— Alexander Lakatos (@Alakatos44) December 26, 2018
Just walked out after 10 minutes of Holmes and Watson. #CrapSandwich
— OCELOT CLAW (@_MUMBLS) December 26, 2018
The movie opened well behind Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins Returns. It’s projected to earn $6.4 million at the box office this week, according to Box Office Mojo. Yet the word of mouth is so bad here that, admit it, you’re curious to see for yourself if it’s, as one Twitter user called it, a “#CrapSandwich.”
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.