- Pete Buttigieg’s country radio interview was blocked from the air 7 Months Ago
- 15-year-old Smash Bros. prodigy caught using racist slur in private Discord server Today 3:47 PM
- Instagram users who post pet pictures more likely to get hacked Today 3:45 PM
- Post-Prime Day recap: Shipping delays, more sales, and a scam Today 3:08 PM
- Jacob Wohl returns to Twitter … for now Today 1:56 PM
- How to stream WWE Raw Reunion Today 1:35 PM
- ‘I hope Trump deports you’: Woman goes on racist rant to Spanish speakers at a store Today 1:24 PM
- Emoji Mashup Bot gives life to unidentifiable emotions Today 1:15 PM
- Notorious grifter Anna Sorokin reportedly blocked from profiting off Netflix series Today 12:45 PM
- Charlottesville attacker’s Twitter account included praise for Hitler Today 12:10 PM
- ‘Short Treks’ trailer: Spock, Pike, and Number One return Today 11:57 AM
- Everything we know about ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks,’ the new animated show Today 11:55 AM
- Cole Carrigan says he left Team 10 after being called homophobic slur Today 11:32 AM
- Cop under investigation after implying Ocasio-Cortez should be shot Today 11:07 AM
- The ‘Big Little Lies’ finale sucked—but at least we have Renata Today 11:01 AM
Reviews are scathing, social media is roasting it, and people are even walking out.
It’s not a good start for the detective comedy Holmes and Watson. Actually, it’s horrible.
It seemed like a cocktail for a funny movie. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are an iconic duo both starring together in comedy classics including Step Brothers and Talladega Nights. But their rendition of Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson has completely flopped.
The movie, released on Christmas, has a 4 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and tons of scathing reviews.
If you can believe it, the movie’s score has gone up. Wednesday it sat at a 0 percent rating.
“The only compelling mystery about ‘Holmes & Watson’ is how so many funny people have been squeezed into such an unfunny movie, a movie that isn’t nearly smart enough to recognize how stupid it should have been,” David Ehrlich from indieWire wrote.
Dana Schwartz from Entertainment Weekly gave the movie a D+, adding, “If you choose to watch this movie, you’ll be treated to an hour and a half of different versions of the same gag.”
Twitter hates it, too.
Holmes and Watson was so freaking bad😂— #BRINGBACKTHEFUNWHEELCHALLENGE (@PrestonAtDisney) December 27, 2018
I can’t even put into words how bad Holmes and Watson is. Literally worst movie I’ve ever seen— Kevin (@kvnpryor) December 27, 2018
Sometimes a trailer does truly represent how bad a film is, Holmes and Watson fits that bill. I hope it bombs at the box office. https://t.co/vKgxGPI7Pc— Jake Armistead (@JakeArmistead) December 27, 2018
Nieces and nephew lugged us all to see the movie “Holmes and Watson.” Wow. Soooooo bad. Not a single laugh. Terrible. Really. Really. Really.— Mark (@2084_the_app) December 26, 2018
Holmes and Watson— Bradley Clarke (@Bradley__Clarke) December 27, 2018
Can’t describe to you how bad it was
Some even reportedly walked out of the theater.
Out of countless movies these past 20 years - I have never walked out of a movie theater until today. Holmes and Watson is by far the biggest disappointment of 2018— Alexander Lakatos (@Alakatos44) December 26, 2018
Just walked out after 10 minutes of Holmes and Watson. #CrapSandwich— OCELOT CLAW (@_MUMBLS) December 26, 2018
The movie opened well behind Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins Returns. It’s projected to earn $6.4 million at the box office this week, according to Box Office Mojo. Yet the word of mouth is so bad here that, admit it, you’re curious to see for yourself if it’s, as one Twitter user called it, a “#CrapSandwich.”
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.