- Angela Abar wrestles with destiny in ‘Watchmen’ episode 8 Sunday 9:05 PM
- Guy who runs Trump Organization Twitter account caught hyping up own tweet Sunday 4:51 PM
- People found out how tall Olaf is–and now ‘Frozen’ is terrifying Sunday 3:41 PM
- Rapper Juice WRLD dead at 21 Sunday 3:02 PM
- Embody Andrew Yang, fight other presidential candidates in video game Sunday 2:33 PM
- Ariana Grande spoke with TikTok teen who looks exactly like her Sunday 1:00 PM
- Beyoncé accused of paying dancers ‘low rates’ Sunday 11:58 AM
- Timmy Thick blasted for saying the N-word in comeback video Sunday 9:11 AM
- Netflix’s ‘The Confession Killer’ is a devastating and well-built portrait of a con artist Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Sunday 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
It’s not a good start for the detective comedy Holmes and Watson. Actually, it’s horrible.
It seemed like a cocktail for a funny movie. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are an iconic duo both starring together in comedy classics including Step Brothers and Talladega Nights. But their rendition of Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson has completely flopped.
The movie, released on Christmas, has a 4 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and tons of scathing reviews.
If you can believe it, the movie’s score has gone up. Wednesday it sat at a 0 percent rating.
“The only compelling mystery about ‘Holmes & Watson’ is how so many funny people have been squeezed into such an unfunny movie, a movie that isn’t nearly smart enough to recognize how stupid it should have been,” David Ehrlich from indieWire wrote.
Dana Schwartz from Entertainment Weekly gave the movie a D+, adding, “If you choose to watch this movie, you’ll be treated to an hour and a half of different versions of the same gag.”
Twitter hates it, too.
I can’t even put into words how bad Holmes and Watson is. Literally worst movie I’ve ever seen— Kevin (@kvnpryor) December 27, 2018
Sometimes a trailer does truly represent how bad a film is, Holmes and Watson fits that bill. I hope it bombs at the box office. https://t.co/vKgxGPI7Pc— Jake Armistead (@JakeArmistead) December 27, 2018
Nieces and nephew lugged us all to see the movie “Holmes and Watson.” Wow. Soooooo bad. Not a single laugh. Terrible. Really. Really. Really.— Mark (@2084_the_app) December 26, 2018
Holmes and Watson— Bradley Clarke (@Bradley__Clarke) December 27, 2018
Can’t describe to you how bad it was
Some even reportedly walked out of the theater.
Out of countless movies these past 20 years - I have never walked out of a movie theater until today. Holmes and Watson is by far the biggest disappointment of 2018— Alexander Lakatos (@Alakatos44) December 26, 2018
Just walked out after 10 minutes of Holmes and Watson. #CrapSandwich— OCELOT CLAW (@_MUMBLS) December 26, 2018
The movie opened well behind Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins Returns. It’s projected to earn $6.4 million at the box office this week, according to Box Office Mojo. Yet the word of mouth is so bad here that, admit it, you’re curious to see for yourself if it’s, as one Twitter user called it, a “#CrapSandwich.”
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.