- Majority of threats made since El Paso and Dayton shootings have been made online Thursday 8:00 PM
- Miley Cyrus tweets about cheating allegations and penis cake drama Thursday 6:32 PM
- ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ dazzles with a timely tale Thursday 6:00 PM
- The DOJ emailed a white nationalist blog post to immigration judges Thursday 5:31 PM
- The Amazon rainforest is on fire–and people are using memes to cope Thursday 4:11 PM
- Microsoft contractors listened in on Xbox users Thursday 2:15 PM
- Anti-vaxxer assaults pro-vaccine lawmaker on Facebook Live (updated) Thursday 2:15 PM
- Oreos licked by singer Lewis Capaldi are being auctioned off on eBay Thursday 1:54 PM
- Zach Braff predicted Sean Spicer would be on ‘Dancing With the Stars’ 2 years ago Thursday 1:38 PM
- NYPD sergeant who watched Eric Garner die punished with lost vacation days Thursday 1:27 PM
- Brie Larson haters have a meltdown over a joke about Thor’s hammer Thursday 1:26 PM
- This comedian attempted to make fun of women on Twitter—and it did not go over well Thursday 1:04 PM
- Logan Paul wants to help the Amazon rainforest Thursday 12:36 PM
- Nutaku announces redesign and filters for LGBTQ porn games (updated) Thursday 12:25 PM
- This video of dozens of inflatable mattresses taking off in the wind is perfect Thursday 12:20 PM
It’s not a good start for the detective comedy Holmes and Watson. Actually, it’s horrible.
It seemed like a cocktail for a funny movie. Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly are an iconic duo both starring together in comedy classics including Step Brothers and Talladega Nights. But their rendition of Sherlock Holmes and his friend Dr. John Watson has completely flopped.
The movie, released on Christmas, has a 4 percent rating on Rotten Tomatoes and tons of scathing reviews.
If you can believe it, the movie’s score has gone up. Wednesday it sat at a 0 percent rating.
“The only compelling mystery about ‘Holmes & Watson’ is how so many funny people have been squeezed into such an unfunny movie, a movie that isn’t nearly smart enough to recognize how stupid it should have been,” David Ehrlich from indieWire wrote.
Dana Schwartz from Entertainment Weekly gave the movie a D+, adding, “If you choose to watch this movie, you’ll be treated to an hour and a half of different versions of the same gag.”
Twitter hates it, too.
Holmes and Watson was so freaking bad😂— PRESTON at D23 EXPO (@PrestonAtDisney) December 27, 2018
I can’t even put into words how bad Holmes and Watson is. Literally worst movie I’ve ever seen— Kevin (@kvnpryor) December 27, 2018
Sometimes a trailer does truly represent how bad a film is, Holmes and Watson fits that bill. I hope it bombs at the box office. https://t.co/vKgxGPI7Pc— Jake Armistead (@JakeArmistead) December 27, 2018
Nieces and nephew lugged us all to see the movie “Holmes and Watson.” Wow. Soooooo bad. Not a single laugh. Terrible. Really. Really. Really.— Mark (@2084_the_app) December 26, 2018
Holmes and Watson— Bradley Clarke (@Bradley__Clarke) December 27, 2018
Can’t describe to you how bad it was
Some even reportedly walked out of the theater.
Out of countless movies these past 20 years - I have never walked out of a movie theater until today. Holmes and Watson is by far the biggest disappointment of 2018— Alexander Lakatos (@Alakatos44) December 26, 2018
Just walked out after 10 minutes of Holmes and Watson. #CrapSandwich— OCELOT CLAW (@_MUMBLS) December 26, 2018
The movie opened well behind Aquaman, Bumblebee, and Mary Poppins Returns. It’s projected to earn $6.4 million at the box office this week, according to Box Office Mojo. Yet the word of mouth is so bad here that, admit it, you’re curious to see for yourself if it’s, as one Twitter user called it, a “#CrapSandwich.”
Elizabeth VanMetre is a reporter based in Wyoming. She is a graduate of Columbia Journalism School, and her work has appeared on ETOnline, the New York Daily News, Yahoo Travel, and more. She hosts a local morning show in Wyoming.