- Did Amazon give ‘Marvelous Mrs. Maisel’ an unfair Emmy advantage? 5 Months Ago
- ‘The Politician’ is a dark and cynical answer to ‘Glee’ Today 7:00 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Ozark’ beat ‘Game of Thrones’ in 2 major Emmy categories Today 6:37 AM
- Animator for Netflix’s ‘Carmen Sandiego’ says he was fired after asking for fair pay Sunday 3:17 PM
- YouTube reverses decision to remove creators’ badges Sunday 1:47 PM
- How video game developer Valve got served secret subpoena as part of FBI’s counterterrorism fight Sunday 12:31 PM
- Aron Eisenberg, ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ actor, dead at 50 Sunday 11:35 AM
- Who needs glass slippers? This Cinderella cosplayer upgraded with a stunning glass arm Sunday 10:19 AM
- How to check if Yahoo owes you $358 Sunday 9:25 AM
- How to stream Bears vs. Redskins on Monday Night Football Sunday 7:00 AM
- What are the best alternatives to the electoral college? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The best PS4 games you can’t play anywhere else Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Emmy Awards Sunday 5:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Power’ season 6, episode 5 Sunday 4:00 AM
- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
What is your favorite show to binge on Netflix?
It turns out that the dozens of original series Netflix has pumped millions of dollars into creating are typically getting passed over. Instead, the majority of viewers spend their time watching—and re-watching—other networks’ stuff. The Office, Friends, and Grey’s Anatomy were the most-streamed shows on Netflix last year, according to Nielsen’s newest data.
The Office was by far the most popular show to stream on Netflix in 2018. Viewers spent 52.1 billion minutes streaming the completed NBC series, while only 32.6 billion minutes were spent on Friends and 30.3 billion on Grey’s Anatomy.
Nielsen’s ratings only include the U.S. and consider only connected devices. That means between 20-30% of Netflix viewers are not included in these numbers. It’s unfortunate news for Netflix’s original content, though both Orange Is the New Black and Ozark made the top-10 list—the only Netflix originals to do so.
With NBCUniversal set to launch its own streaming service, the news about The Office’s streaming numbers is particularly significant. There is no news on when or if the service will pull the rights to The Office, Friends, and other popular content from Netflix, though reports indicate that NBC is working to make The Office an exclusive property to its new service, according to Indiewire. Friends is on Netflix through at least 2019, also according to Indiewire.
Disney+ presents a similar potential threat when it comes to Grey’s Anatomy, which is owned by ABC/Disney.
With 72% of Netflix minutes cited in the Nielsen report dedicated to non-originals, the streaming giant faces major threats in the imminent streaming wars.
- The best Netflix comedy specials of 2019
- ‘Dead to Me’ is the rare show that lets grief be ugly
- The biggest sci-fi movie of 2019 is now on Netflix. Should you watch it?
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.