- ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ unmasks the time-traveling Red Angel Thursday 8:30 PM
- Everyone is making memes of Meghan McCain saying ‘my father’ on loop Thursday 8:11 PM
- Irony of Georgia’s sperm-reporting bill flies by anti-abortion advocates Thursday 7:11 PM
- Sex scandals are consuming the K-pop industry Thursday 5:44 PM
- Trump supporters are abandoning Fox News over network’s latest hire Thursday 5:20 PM
- QAnon is attacking a random woman in a disturbing and dangerous way Thursday 4:59 PM
- Google celebrates Bach with AI-powered, music-making doodle Thursday 4:53 PM
- RIP: The best free trial in all of streaming entertainment Thursday 2:19 PM
- Which ‘Florida Man’ are you? Thursday 1:06 PM
- Hundreds of millions of Facebook passwords were accessible to employees Thursday 12:55 PM
- ‘Bitch I’m Bella Thorne’ morphs into TikTok dyslexia meme Thursday 12:17 PM
- Marvel is auctioning props and costumes from Netflix’s ‘Defenders’ franchise Thursday 12:12 PM
- Net neutrality advocates plan online watch party for the ‘Save the Internet’ Act Thursday 12:01 PM
- Tim Cook turns his iPad meme into an AirPod meme Thursday 11:46 AM
- Auschwitz Memorial asks visitors to stop taking playful photos at Holocaust site Thursday 11:33 AM
Chinese actress Liu Yifei, known as Crystal Liu, is officially a Disney princess. The 30-year-old actress has been cast as Mulan for Disney’s live-action remake of the 1998 animated movie.
— Disney (@Disney) November 29, 2017
The original animated Mulan grossed $304.3 million worldwide and featured Ming-Na Wen as the voice of Mulan.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the search for a Mulan took more than a year and required casting directors to visit five continents and see almost 1,000 possible actresses.
The role required martial arts skills, which Crystal Liu has from other action-thriller films she has been part of. In 2008 she was in The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and in 2015 she played a role in IP Man 3.
Crystal Liu is the first to be cast in this new Disney adaptation, set to release in 2019. The internet is thrilled to see a Chinese actress properly portraying a Chinese character.
— ♔PinkIsTheNewBlack♔ (@ManuBlinkVIP) November 29, 2017
— DON wants Snyder's Justice League Director's Cut! (@muddyboots26) November 29, 2017
— Rotimi Akinbiyi (@TimiFrost) November 29, 2017
— kris (@mcgrcffin) November 29, 2017
No word yet on the rest of the Mulan cast.
— Daniel Wayne (@thirsty_gay_guy) November 29, 2017
I want Eddie Murphy to be Mushu in the live-action #Mulan I don’t care what y’all say.
— DeVanté Foxx Charles (@ButImTigerWoods) November 29, 2017
Brianna Stone is a reporter and digital producer. Her work has been published by the Austin American-Statesman, the Daily Dot, and USA Today.