- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Today 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Today 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Today 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
- Behold: 12 straight hours of ‘Stranger Things” Alexei drinking a Slurpee Saturday 2:05 PM
- Influencer couple under fire for using holy water to splash genitals in Bali Saturday 1:29 PM
- These are the 10 best villains DC comics has ever conceived Saturday 1:11 PM
- The Daily Wire accused of stealing art design from pop artist for its merchandise Saturday 12:09 PM
- Instagram model Rianne Meijer on keeping it real with her followers Saturday 10:52 AM
- How to stream Chelsea vs. Leicester City Saturday 8:30 AM
- Florida man arrested after allegedly texting girlfriend his mass shooting plans Saturday 8:27 AM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Celta Vigo Saturday 8:20 AM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Vikings in NFL preseason action Saturday 8:00 AM
- How to stream Steelers vs. Chiefs in NFL preseason action Saturday 6:30 AM
Chinese actress Liu Yifei, known as Crystal Liu, is officially a Disney princess. The 30-year-old actress has been cast as Mulan for Disney’s live-action remake of the 1998 animated movie.
The original animated Mulan grossed $304.3 million worldwide and featured Ming-Na Wen as the voice of Mulan.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the search for a Mulan took more than a year and required casting directors to visit five continents and see almost 1,000 possible actresses.
The role required martial arts skills, which Crystal Liu has from other action-thriller films she has been part of. In 2008 she was in The Forbidden Kingdom with Jackie Chan and in 2015 she played a role in IP Man 3.
Crystal Liu is the first to be cast in this new Disney adaptation, set to release in 2019. The internet is thrilled to see a Chinese actress properly portraying a Chinese character.
No word yet on the rest of the Mulan cast.
I want Eddie Murphy to be Mushu in the live-action #Mulan I don’t care what y’all say.— DeVanté Foxx Charles (@ButImTigerWoods) November 29, 2017
Brianna Stone is a reporter and digital producer. Her work has been published by the Austin American-Statesman, the Daily Dot, and USA Today.