- Pornhub has a bundle now, Disney+ style Thursday 11:27 PM
- Jacob Wohl’s dad is selling horny calendars of himself for the soldiers Thursday 11:10 PM
- Amanda Palmer dragged for ‘demanding’ coverage of her music Thursday 8:33 PM
- How to get free TikTok followers without downloading a virus Thursday 7:57 PM
- Trump Jr.s ‘Triggered’ topped best-seller’s list with help of RNC Thursday 7:41 PM
- FBI raided millionaire YouTuber’s home, allegedly took everything Thursday 6:55 PM
- A fake Labour party website is spreading disinformation in Britain Thursday 6:16 PM
- Twitter bans cricket club for posting ISIS content in apparent hack Thursday 6:12 PM
- This dad remade his daughter’s NSFW photo—and people are loving it Thursday 5:51 PM
- Teen allegedly posted ‘slave for sale’ Craigslist ad featuring his Black classmate Thursday 5:28 PM
- People are crushed that this teen love story might be a TikTok ‘joke’ Thursday 4:50 PM
- Is Jacob Wohl evading his Twitter ban with Jack Burkman’s account? Thursday 2:06 PM
- Biden’s most perplexing debate answers, explained Thursday 2:03 PM
- How to stream Colts vs. Texans on Thursday Night Football Thursday 12:52 PM
- Netflix drops ‘A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby’ trailer Thursday 12:43 PM
Previously a darling of the gaming community, Delphine pissed off a lot people in the gaming subreddit r/GamersRiseUp after promising to post NSFW content on Pornhub if she reached 1 million likes on a photo.
After the prank, fans threatened to “torpedo her career.” The threat apparently manifested with the organized mass reporting of her account for nudity and pornography, according to claims from multiple redditors.
Several users participating in the revenge campaign posted screenshots showing notifications from Instagram that said @belle.delphine had been removed for violating the site’s rules.
View this post on Instagram
A post shared by Athlete (@athlete_thedog) on
A spokesperson for Instagram confirmed to the Daily Dot that Delphine’s account was removed for violating community guidelines. Instagram maintains that multiple reports of an account only lead to the account’s removal if it does actually violate guidelines.
Delphine’s other social media accounts are still active, and she has not commented on the Instagram page takedown. On Friday afternoon, she was tweeting a mysterious countdown on her Twitter account.
Naturally, people have a lot of opinions. Some seem rather upset about her Instagram removal.
When you find out belle delphine Instagram got deleted pic.twitter.com/rTK4gsUj0y— Youngbean (@youngbean22) July 19, 2019
WHY DID BELLE DELPHINE GET DELETED OFF INSTA SHE’S AN ICON— catie ⛰ (@lolnotcatie) July 19, 2019
heard belle delphine got deleted and it made me spiral really bad LMAO what a reddit degenerate i am— sadness log (@sadnesslog) July 19, 2019
Other people are angry on her behalf.
People really fucking ran a campaign to get Belle Delphine's Instagram deleted, and it worked. Fucking incels are just jealous this girl can make a career out of her body. Cuz that is her job, you know, and a bunch of incel 15yo just messed that up.— poop sock (@cullen_theboyer) July 19, 2019
What is with yall and belle delphine?? Like why tf would you get her accounted deleted for doing what every other insta model is doing??? Shes not a thot or a fucking slut. She did that shit for fun and there were followers who looked up to her. Smh— Murder_me_pls (@MurderPls) July 19, 2019
And some are utterly delighted.
BELLE DELPHINE GOT DELETED AGHHJHSHSHAH THIS IS SO FUNNY, THIS HAS BEEN THE BEST NIGHT EVER pic.twitter.com/oBKhJrIhXS— In luv with saeran choi (@popping_candi) July 19, 2019
belle delphine got her instagram deleted? good shit— 王 (@althoxx) July 19, 2019
Belle Delphine’s IG was deleted... another victory for mankind— Dagz (@cametofade) July 19, 2019
Many are just out for the drama and entertainment.
“The mob giveth and the mob taketh away”— Chris Kurdziel 🎮🤘🏻 (@ckurdziel) July 19, 2019
"hello, police? I would like to report an ethottery crime has been committed!"— Lisan al Gaib (@Lisan_4l_Gaib) July 19, 2019
Listen, i didn't want to do this, but in the wake of Belle Delphine being deleted, I'm going to step up and become the next ethot queen— Ste nc h (@LegoRockMonster) July 19, 2019
All belle delphine’s virgins without her softcore porn, now that her instagram is deleted 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/qssr6ER6fr— Mikey ⚽️🇾🇪 (@mufcmikey) July 19, 2019
But as Twitter user @VariaJStrix points out, the mass reporting campaign presents a gross double standard.
“This should be upsetting because she got reported for NUDITY AND PORNOGRAPHY when her angry fans obviously wanted MORE NUDITY AND PORNOGRAPHY,” @VariaJStrix wrote. “They are trying to control her.”
This should be upsetting because she got reported for NUDITY AND PORNOGRAPHY when her angry fans obviously wanted MORE NUDITY AND PORNOGRAPHY.— 🍂🍁🦉 Varia 💚♋🖤 Strix 🦉🍁🍂 (@VariaJStrix) July 19, 2019
They are trying to control her. Fuck that.
In other words, her body was weaponized against her only because it wasn’t used how fans wanted. And that kind of toxic targeted action should worry everyone.
- Area 51 remix video proves it’s the summer of Lil Nas X
- Mariah Carey refuses old-age FaceApp challenge
- The new ‘Cats’ trailer is here to make you want to claw your eyes out
Got five minutes? We’d love to hear from you. Help shape our journalism and be entered to win an Amazon gift card by filling out our 2019 reader survey.
Siobhan Ball is a historian, archivist, and journalist. She also writes for Autostraddle and bi.org