- Lyft received a whopping 7 sexual assault lawsuits in a day Wednesday 10:00 PM
- High school reopens investigation into Nazi salute video after other racist videos emerge Wednesday 7:14 PM
- Facebook content moderators continue to suffer from brutal working conditions Wednesday 5:58 PM
- #RIPReese: Man bullied for relationship with trans woman dies by suicide Wednesday 4:46 PM
- Redaction error reveals ICE is paying Palantir $49 million Wednesday 4:25 PM
- People are using social media to raise awareness about the Amazon fires Wednesday 4:24 PM
- How to watch ‘Detective Pikachu’ right now Wednesday 3:56 PM
- Walmart is suing Tesla over fires at stores with solar panels Wednesday 3:44 PM
- Jeremy Renner asks nicely for Sony to let Spider-Man back in the MCU Wednesday 2:51 PM
- The best and safest torrenting sites you should be using in 2019 Wednesday 2:47 PM
- ‘Beyoncé’s Assistant for a Day’ creator is releasing more games on storytelling app Yarn Wednesday 1:54 PM
- Why does everyone keep falling for that Instagram and Facebook hoax? Wednesday 1:46 PM
- A bunch of celebrities fell for that viral Instagram hoax Wednesday 1:17 PM
- Former Die Antwoord crew member says video shows ‘homophobic attack’ Wednesday 1:13 PM
- How to stream all the MLS Rivalry Week matches Wednesday 1:13 PM
The deal, which has yet to be finalized, would see the Obamas make “a series of high-profile shows.” Details are scarce so it’s unknown how many shows the Obamas would work on, what the shows would be about, the number of episodes those shows would have, or exactly what role the Obamas would play in those shows, but sources have said that the programming would “highlight inspirational stories.” His platform on Netflix wouldn’t be used by Obama to address critics or political opponents (including Donald Trump).
The possibilities are endless. Potential show ideas being considered range from Michelle Obama discussing nutrition to Obama hosting conversations that center around topics he’s passionate about. Part of the deal could just include endorsements of other programming by the Obamas.
While it’s unknown how much the deal is worth, Netflix has demonstrated it will sign major, multi-year deals with some of Hollywood’s top creatives to get their programming on Netflix including Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy.
Obama has previously appeared on Netflix in the first episode of David Letterman’s new talk show My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. And both Barack and Michelle Obama have memoirs in the works after signing a deal with Penguin Random House worth more than $60 million. Michelle Obama’s memoir, Becoming, will be released on Nov. 13 while Obama’s memoir is set to be released spring 2019.
H/T New York Times
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.