- Fans call out Madonna for edited Eurovision video Tuesday 9:36 PM
- Partnered Twitch streamer temporarily banned for airing troll’s racist message Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Reddit theory says fans are wrong about who won ‘Game of Thrones’ Tuesday 6:52 PM
- Elon Musk hires ‘absolute unit’ sheep meme creator to be Tesla’s social media manager Tuesday 6:12 PM
- Jason Momoa stands by his Khaleesi after the ‘Game of Thrones’ finale Tuesday 4:05 PM
- Airbnb, 23andMe partner for creepy heritage travel recommendations Tuesday 3:26 PM
- Rep. Katie Porter goes viral again for trouncing Ben Carson (updated) Tuesday 3:26 PM
- This deepfake takes Bill Hader’s Schwarzenegger impression to the next level Tuesday 2:58 PM
- Wanda Sykes rails against Trump and offers much-needed perspective in ‘Not Normal’ Tuesday 2:41 PM
- Man arrested after allegedly threatening to shoot YouTube employees Tuesday 2:13 PM
- Some House Dems are backing away from the Save the Internet Act Tuesday 1:40 PM
- Thousands sign petition calling for Danny DeVito to play Wolverine Tuesday 1:02 PM
- Jason Mitchell fired from ‘Desperados’ and ‘The Chi’ after misconduct allegations Tuesday 12:36 PM
- Police raid Black woman’s house after white neighbor complains about loud Malcolm X speeches Tuesday 12:20 PM
- ‘Transfixed’ says it’s a ‘breakthrough’ series, but it still fetishizes trans bodies Tuesday 11:04 AM
LBJ Library/Flickr (Public Domain)
The deal, which has yet to be finalized, would see the Obamas make “a series of high-profile shows.” Details are scarce so it’s unknown how many shows the Obamas would work on, what the shows would be about, the number of episodes those shows would have, or exactly what role the Obamas would play in those shows, but sources have said that the programming would “highlight inspirational stories.” His platform on Netflix wouldn’t be used by Obama to address critics or political opponents (including Donald Trump).
The possibilities are endless. Potential show ideas being considered range from Michelle Obama discussing nutrition to Obama hosting conversations that center around topics he’s passionate about. Part of the deal could just include endorsements of other programming by the Obamas.
While it’s unknown how much the deal is worth, Netflix has demonstrated it will sign major, multi-year deals with some of Hollywood’s top creatives to get their programming on Netflix including Shonda Rhimes and Ryan Murphy.
Obama has previously appeared on Netflix in the first episode of David Letterman’s new talk show My Next Guest Needs No Introduction. And both Barack and Michelle Obama have memoirs in the works after signing a deal with Penguin Random House worth more than $60 million. Michelle Obama’s memoir, Becoming, will be released on Nov. 13 while Obama’s memoir is set to be released spring 2019.
H/T New York Times
Michelle Jaworski is a staff writer and the resident Game of Thrones expert at the Daily Dot. She covers entertainment, geek culture, and pop culture and has brought her knowledge to conventions like Con of Thrones. She is based in New Jersey.