- Did the Space Force logo rip off Star Trek? Friday 6:24 PM
- Disabled people with service dogs say Uber, Lyft drivers are denying them rides Friday 3:25 PM
- TikTok teen famous for greasy hair ends her 8-year reign Friday 2:48 PM
- Police handcuff brown man at subway station for carrying a toy gun Friday 1:20 PM
- Fake clip of Sanders quoting infamous ‘hot chip’ tweet is duping people online Friday 1:16 PM
- The Mars Volta’s Cedric Bixler-Zavala alleges Scientologists behind dog’s death Friday 12:46 PM
- Eminem responds to critics: ‘This album was not made for the squeamish’ Friday 12:42 PM
- ‘The poet, the poem’ meme takes iconic lines and turns them into art Friday 12:40 PM
- People are making dark memes about the coronavirus Friday 12:27 PM
- Trump camp’s ‘head on a pike’ impeachment threat hit with memes Friday 11:34 AM
- What is the #FreeBritney movement, and why is Cher tweeting about it? Friday 10:52 AM
- This YouTuber claims the Saudi government plotted to kidnap him on U.S. soil Friday 10:30 AM
- Report: Jack Dorsey declined to host a fundraiser for Tulsi Gabbard Friday 10:22 AM
- Bernie Sanders plugs Joe Rogan endorsement—and women are furious Friday 10:04 AM
- Young woman using TikTok to document the end of her life says she’s dying next week Friday 8:43 AM
Anonymous gets a crush on Deadmau5
Deadmau5 is a product of Internet culture, but it took wearing a Guy Fawkes mask for him to win fans among Anonymous.
The Grammy-nominated electronica artist Deadmau5, known for his signature mouse costume head, seems to have a soft spot for Anonymous. And the feeling among his hacker fans is mutual.
After Deadmau5, who’s known for performing in mouse ears, sported a Guy Fawkes mask intead, @YourAnonNews, a Twitter account maintained by multiple Anonymous supporters, sent out two tweets earlier today expressing their enthusiasm for the artist.
The Guy Fawkes mask, first made popular by the anarchist hero of the movie V for Vendetta, is now the internationally recognized symbol of Anonymous, a loosely organized collective of activist hackers.
The tweets offer an unusual glimpse into the personalities of the Anons—members of Anonymous—behind the account, and how it operates.
As the Anonymous account with the highest number of followers on Twitter—now more than half a million—@YourAnonNews is the de facto mouthpiece of the amorphous hacker organization on the site. But it’s better known for its warnings about planned hacks and Anonymous news roundups than its owners’ pop-culture predilections.
The first tweet contained a photo of Deadmau5 wearing a Guy Fawkes mask behind a turntable in a production studio. The caption reads “So @deadmau5 rocks an #Anonymous / Guy Fawkes mask in recording studio? Respect! Anonymau5 FTW.”
The second tweet shared the same photo and commented, “Nice to see @deadmau5 in a Guy Fawkes mask finally!”
A follow-up tweet revealed that the account is run by several Deadmau5 fanboys who “got a little overexcited.”
Deadmau5 is no stranger to esoteric Internet culture. At yesterday’s Grammys, Deadmau5 teased—trolled, as Anons might say—dance artist Skrillex by appearing on the red carpet with a t-shirt showing Skrillex’s phone number and the caption “U mad bro?”
No wonder the Anons have a crush.
Image via Twitpic