- Man dragged for recording, posting video of neighbor being ‘killed’ instead of helping Saturday 4:14 PM
- How to stream Saints vs. Bears in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- How to stream Seahawks vs. Ravens in Week 7 Saturday 3:25 PM
- Are TikTok teens throwing up gang signs in their videos? Saturday 2:45 PM
- Anti-impeachment protesters believe ‘deep state’ tried to sabotage rally Saturday 12:51 PM
- How to stream 49ers vs. Redskins in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Cardinals vs. Giants in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Raiders in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Vikings vs. Lions in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- How to stream Rams vs. Falcons in Week 7 Saturday 12:00 PM
- Billie Eilish fans think they figured out who stole her ring Saturday 11:32 AM
- ‘Give me candy’: Hailey Bieber mocked for defense of celebrating Halloween as a Christian Saturday 10:28 AM
- Aaron Paul predicted Jesse Pinkman’s fate on Reddit years ago Saturday 8:53 AM
- Netflix’s ‘Eli’ is a satisfyingly nasty blend of haunted houses and medical horror Saturday 7:00 AM
- Why 8chan’s founder is fighting to keep the infamous message board dead Saturday 6:30 AM
Apple this week released 158 new emoji as part of its latest iOS 12.1 update. Some of the most notable additions include people with red hair, a bald person, a series of new animals, and a softball. But people are confused about the intended use of one rather woozy-looking emoji, as BuzzFeed News pointed out.
Can someone please explain this emoji to me. pic.twitter.com/NCec6abZuY— ₯ (@007dpz) October 31, 2018
The emoji is characterized by a raised brow, lopsided eyes, and dizzy grin. Emojipedia officially calls it “Woozy Face,” aka “Face With Uneven Eyes and Wavy Mouth,” aka “Drunk Face.”
Though people don’t quite know what to make of the expression, Twitter users are coming up with some interesting suggestions. For example, lots of people believe it’s the face of an orgasm.
Dude they added an emoji for the face you make when you nut! pic.twitter.com/vD0RvJ1RRT— rayyyyyyyy lmao (@RayNarvaezJr) November 1, 2018
Straights: drunk emoji— Rick Glenn (@hismadrealm) November 1, 2018
Gays: bottoming emoji pic.twitter.com/qAf8r8YANL
Others think the emoji represents a drunk person.
Easy...txting drunk emoji https://t.co/5fytjJ35J1— jimmy (@justanotherwool) November 2, 2018
It could be the moronically love-struck face you make around a crush.
When you start to like a guy https://t.co/btiUCGiYwM— Savyyleee✨ (@SavannahLD21) November 1, 2018
Or maybe it’s how guys look when they’re trying to be sexy but just … aren’t.
This How dudes faces look when they try being sexy by biting their lips for a profile picture https://t.co/Xjtb9fgtlr— Ramon G (@YoYoRamonShow) November 1, 2018
Lest you think it’s made-up, here are some real-life examples of the face.
So about that new emoji... pic.twitter.com/6zhz76Vcg4— Gnome of Steel (@yinzer58) November 1, 2018
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson even suggested the emoji resembles his famous quirked eyebrow.
I can lend some insight to the interweb about this new emoji. It means two things/— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) November 1, 2018
a) “I’m f*cking awesome”
b) “Excuse me, but I have gas” https://t.co/ygdGf5NOH0
The good news is, with so many possible interpretations, this emoji is sure to get a lot of use—even in very specific situations.
- You can now legally hack your iPhone
- Apple’s controversial ‘throttling’ feature comes to iPhone 8, iPhone X
- New Apple security chip is designed to keep hackers from turning on your mic
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alexis Tatum studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Orange magazine and the Daily Texan.