- People are sharing how serving in the military has ruined their lives with #WhyIServe Sunday 5:31 PM
- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears Sunday 4:34 PM
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Sunday 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Sunday 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Sunday 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Sunday 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Sunday 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Sunday 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Sunday 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
Apple this week released 158 new emoji as part of its latest iOS 12.1 update. Some of the most notable additions include people with red hair, a bald person, a series of new animals, and a softball. But people are confused about the intended use of one rather woozy-looking emoji, as BuzzFeed News pointed out.
Can someone please explain this emoji to me. pic.twitter.com/NCec6abZuY
— ₯ (@007dpz) October 31, 2018
The emoji is characterized by a raised brow, lopsided eyes, and dizzy grin. Emojipedia officially calls it “Woozy Face,” aka “Face With Uneven Eyes and Wavy Mouth,” aka “Drunk Face.”
Though people don’t quite know what to make of the expression, Twitter users are coming up with some interesting suggestions. For example, lots of people believe it’s the face of an orgasm.
Dude they added an emoji for the face you make when you nut! pic.twitter.com/vD0RvJ1RRT
— rayyyyyyyy lmao (@RayNarvaezJr) November 1, 2018
Straights: drunk emoji
Gays: bottoming emoji pic.twitter.com/qAf8r8YANL
— Rick Glenn (@hismadrealm) November 1, 2018
Others think the emoji represents a drunk person.
Easy…txting drunk emoji https://t.co/5fytjJ35J1
— jimmy 🇮🇪🔞☠☡ (@justanotherwool) November 2, 2018
It could be the moronically love-struck face you make around a crush.
When you start to like a guy https://t.co/btiUCGiYwM
— Savyyleee✨ (@SavannahLD21) November 1, 2018
Or maybe it’s how guys look when they’re trying to be sexy but just … aren’t.
This How dudes faces look when they try being sexy by biting their lips for a profile picture https://t.co/Xjtb9fgtlr
— Ramon G (@YoYoRamonShow) November 1, 2018
Lest you think it’s made-up, here are some real-life examples of the face.
— Wukong (@clutchducky) November 1, 2018
So about that new emoji… pic.twitter.com/6zhz76Vcg4
— Gnome of Steel (@yinzer58) November 1, 2018
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson even suggested the emoji resembles his famous quirked eyebrow.
I can lend some insight to the interweb about this new emoji. It means two things/
a) “I’m f*cking awesome”
b) “Excuse me, but I have gas” https://t.co/ygdGf5NOH0
— Dwayne Johnson (@TheRock) November 1, 2018
The good news is, with so many possible interpretations, this emoji is sure to get a lot of use—even in very specific situations.
- You can now legally hack your iPhone
- Apple’s controversial ‘throttling’ feature comes to iPhone 8, iPhone X
- New Apple security chip is designed to keep hackers from turning on your mic
H/T BuzzFeed News
Alexis Tatum studies journalism at the University of Texas at Austin. She's an editorial intern with the Daily Dot. Her work has appeared in Orange magazine and the Daily Texan.