- Riots break out after a fake email about coronavirus went viral Thursday 8:59 PM
- Bloomberg edits debate clip to make other Democratic candidates appear speechless Thursday 7:50 PM
- Dad claims YouTube refuses to remove video of daughter’s murder Thursday 6:36 PM
- Video of Kanye leaving Kim in elevator to carry all their bags has people cackling Thursday 6:19 PM
- Orlando Bloom’s tattoo misspelled son’s name because of Pinterest Thursday 5:35 PM
- The Ahi Challenge is the latest dance taking over TikTok Thursday 4:40 PM
- Show criticized for putting rape victim in blackface to protect her identity Thursday 3:42 PM
- Woman becomes viral sensation after iconic ‘Shallow’ subway video Thursday 2:48 PM
- Prettyboyfredo tried to gift a bullied teen some $30,000 Nikes at school—he got detained Thursday 2:13 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Wedding bells and blows Thursday 1:50 PM
- A 16-year-old made a ‘meme guide’ to help her dad understand online trends Thursday 1:46 PM
- UCLA drops plans to use facial recognition after student pushback Thursday 1:07 PM
- ‘Star Trek: Picard’ recap, episode 5: ‘Stardust City Rag’ Thursday 12:56 PM
- Roger Stone sentenced to 40 months in prison Thursday 12:45 PM
- New The 1975 music video is full of memes you’ll love Thursday 12:28 PM
A new viral challenge has swept through Instagram, featuring rapper Lil Wayne‘s new song “Uproar.” The Uproar Challenge was started by producer Swizz Beatz, who reposted a video from Cousin Skeether on Instagram and encouraged others to share their own versions of the dance, according to Rolling Stone. More than 5,500 recent posts contain #uproarchallenge so far.
What is the Uproar Challenge?
“Uproar” is built for a backyard BBQ dance-off. And that’s the whole of the recent challenge: Finding spontaneous settings in which to bust a move. (In the videos below, participants break-dance at the shop, while sitting on a parked car, or popping out of the closet.)
- Reddit 50/50: What is it and why is it so popular?
- Listening to 42 Lil B mixtapes taught me what it means to be based
- The greatest prank phone calls of all time
- 101 impossible ‘would you rather’ questions
The cutest #UproarChallenge video by far was shared by Lil Wayne himself, which depicts he and his children getting down to the catchy song.
The music throws back to the days of the “Harlem Shake,” prompted in part by Swizz Beats, who “reimagined G. Dep’s ‘Special Delivery’ for Lil Wayne’s ‘Uproar,'” according to Hot New Hip-Hop. It’s a built-in banger:
Shiggy, the Instagram comedian who started the “In My Feelings” challenge which blew up and subsequently helped Drake seize a No. 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts for the song, also participated in the “Uproar” challenge. Shiggy posted the video to his Instagram page, theshiggyshow, over the weekend.
On Spotify, the song has become one Lil Wayne’s most popular, streamed more than 10.4 million times since its debut last week. It is hard to gauge how much the popularity of Lil Wayne’s “Uproar” is bolstered by the Uproar Challenge, but it’s a good week for the rapper who on Friday released Carter V after continued delays, and to critical acclaim.
H/T Rolling Stone
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.