- Kylie Jenner found a way to make Kobe Bryant’s death about her 3 Years Ago
- Warren calls for harsh penalties for tech companies that spread voter disinformation 3 Years Ago
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: Miami vices and vexes Today 12:24 PM
- Teen gets harmonica stuck in mouth, documents it on TikTok Today 11:08 AM
- Joey Salads got his DNA results in and now he’s tweeting the N-word Today 10:58 AM
- NikkieTutorials says she knows who blackmailed her Today 10:22 AM
- Seth Rogen is making a movie about a deadly meme Today 9:30 AM
- Ring should be shut down ‘immediately,’ Amazon engineer warns Today 9:19 AM
- Joe Biden wants his own Bernie Bros Today 8:57 AM
- Twitch star Adept shares heartwarming story about meeting Kobe Bryant Today 8:44 AM
- ‘Promising Young Woman’ unravels the complexities of a revenge fantasy Today 8:35 AM
- Review: ‘Next in Fashion’ is Netflix’s latest attempt at reality TV Today 7:00 AM
- What is Byte, and can it really compete with TikTok? Today 7:00 AM
- Migrants are under social media surveillance—and that’s a problem for everyone Today 6:00 AM
- Gabrielle Union deserves better from Terry Crews Tuesday 11:12 PM
Imagine you had the magic ability to summon unlimited guns and ammo and then tried to overthrow a democratically-elected government. Not so good, right?
In the search to discover the truth behind the origins of the July 15 coup attempt, Turkish media dove into garbage supposedly thrown away by the coup plotters, the Gulenists (named after Fethullah Gulen, a Muslim cleric from Turkey who lives in rural Pennsylvania).
A bombshell of a news report on Turkish television revealed, among the Gulenist trash, the existence of secret codes that would have granted the plotters unlimited supplies of first aid kits, bulletproof armor, assault rifles, grenades, and RPGs.
That’s if they were playing Grand Theft Auto IV, anyway. The codes supposedly used by the coup plotters are actually phone numbers that players can dial on their in-game cellphones in GTA IV to activate game cheats like a free health and armor refresh, weapons, and vehicles.
Unfortunately, we’re not sure precisely what advantages these codes would have given the coup plotters because not all the GTA IV cheat code guides we looked at agree with one another, but it’s a good thing these guys didn’t have 359-555-0100 on the list, or they could have spawned unlimited helicopter gunships.
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.