- How to play Fortnite on Mac 3 Years Ago
- Feminist memes are a banner of social change on Instagram 3 Years Ago
- VR game Jupiter and Mars thoughtfully explores climate change Today 4:30 AM
- The giant battle episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ is nearly here Sunday 10:12 PM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ finally revealed the Night King’s endgame Sunday 9:53 PM
- Sri Lankan government shuts down social media in wake of deadly blasts Sunday 7:56 PM
- Amazon Flex drivers now must use selfies to verify identity Sunday 6:34 PM
- #GentrifyingGeorge thinks 152-year-old HBCU should ‘just move’ Sunday 5:27 PM
- Watch out! Tonight’s episode of ‘Game of Thrones’ leaked online (updated) Sunday 3:32 PM
- Videos of people working may be the best thing on TikTok right now Sunday 1:46 PM
- How to watch ‘Game of Thrones’ season 8, episode 2 for free Sunday 7:00 AM
- Gendry is making a new weapon for Arya Stark—but what is it? Sunday 6:30 AM
- The live-action Halo series could be Showtime’s most ambitious project yet Sunday 6:00 AM
- How to watch Turner Classic Movies for free Sunday 5:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Athletic Bilbao online for free Sunday 5:00 AM
‘Grand Theft Auto’ players are more dangerous than anyone thought.
Imagine you had the magic ability to summon unlimited guns and ammo and then tried to overthrow a democratically-elected government. Not so good, right?
In the search to discover the truth behind the origins of the July 15 coup attempt, Turkish media dove into garbage supposedly thrown away by the coup plotters, the Gulenists (named after Fethullah Gulen, a Muslim cleric from Turkey who lives in rural Pennsylvania).
A bombshell of a news report on Turkish television revealed, among the Gulenist trash, the existence of secret codes that would have granted the plotters unlimited supplies of first aid kits, bulletproof armor, assault rifles, grenades, and RPGs.
That’s if they were playing Grand Theft Auto IV, anyway. The codes supposedly used by the coup plotters are actually phone numbers that players can dial on their in-game cellphones in GTA IV to activate game cheats like a free health and armor refresh, weapons, and vehicles.
Unfortunately, we’re not sure precisely what advantages these codes would have given the coup plotters because not all the GTA IV cheat code guides we looked at agree with one another, but it’s a good thing these guys didn’t have 359-555-0100 on the list, or they could have spawned unlimited helicopter gunships.
Dennis Scimeca was the Daily Dot's gaming reporter until 2016. He loves first-person shooters, role-playing games, and massively multiplayer online games. His work has appeared in Salon, NPR, Ars Technica, Kotaku, Polygon, Gamasutra, GamesBeat, Paste, and Mic.