- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
Are you a pizza slice or a full pizza pie missing a piece? If you’re a woman that needs to use the bathroom, you need to choose the former. Men pick the latter.
This isn’t a joke, by the way. Apparently, there’s a real bathroom out there in the world that designates “F” for “female” as a full pie without a slice, and “M” for men that are just a sole slice of pizza waiting to fill the whole pie. Suffice to say, trans Twitter isn’t having it.
“What kind of cis bullshit again,” Twitter user @transguykeith tweeted Sunday morning, sharing the two bathroom signs. He’s since landed more than 400 retweets and 2,000 likes. The Daily Dot reached out to @transguykeith to get his take on the bathroom kerfuffle.
It’s unclear where these signs are located, but it didn’t take long for the roasting to begin. For one, the pizza pie/pizza slice metaphor here implies that women “receive” a man’s pizza slice, which is a pun based on penis-in-vagina sex. In other words, women are seventh-eighths of a full pizza pie that needs to be completed by a man, which is pretty heteronormative. What if a female pizza pie is perfectly fine sitting side-by-side with another female pizza?
Not just that, but the two signs are pretty cisnormative, too. Both signs imply that women have vaginas and men have penises, which just isn’t true. Plenty of trans women have penises, and plenty of trans men have vaginas. To suggest anything else is to suggest trans men and women aren’t real. And this doesn’t even include representation for nonbinary people. What kind of pizza are they—a pizza roll, maybe?
Clearly, whoever put up these pizza signs didn’t think all of this through.
This is so- pic.twitter.com/WIoF3Zaqu4— Hobiuary✨ (@gothyoongi93) February 10, 2019
Please tell me this doesn’t mean what I think it does...— Ezra ❄️ (@villainking) February 10, 2019
Great, now I can be dysphoric about not being seen as the almost whole pizza I know I am...— jules 🌸 (@julzie_) February 11, 2019
Those are oddly-shaped bits.— Liz Lilly X⌬X⌬ (@GuildingLilly) February 11, 2019
Full pizza (almost)— Josie⚧ (@SuchApple) February 11, 2019
Mslice of pizza
Weird they designed toilets for how much pizza you've eaten. Full and 'mpty— Richie - King of the Mischiefs (@RichieTJames) February 10, 2019
Ah yes, the two genders: "pie" and "pie slice" https://t.co/HAr36uhi4k— Samuel Maleski (@LookingForTelos) February 10, 2019
The pizza-penis puns practically penned themselves.
Seek medical attention for a pizza slice that sticks straight up, especially for 4 hours or more.— Grace Lapointe (@glapointewriter) February 11, 2019
As a cis woman, this pisses me off. I am not a void waiting to be completed by a missing piece of ... pizza... https://t.co/1eNEf073XX— Laura Christiansen (@LauraInMidtown) February 11, 2019
wait wait hold up is that what everyone else's genitals look like https://t.co/S2lR3YfjN6— jake jortles (@yarnheaux) February 11, 2019
The moral of this story, of course, is that customers should date women for more pizza.
My gender is stp slice to pie. https://t.co/AJYNbdst1p— stefani lee (@princess_stef69) February 11, 2019
Confession: I transitioned for more pizza https://t.co/Ev8IUYjf73— Katelyn Burns (@transscribe) February 11, 2019
Tbh if I went on a date this is the way in which of expect the pizza to be divided— Katy Montgomerie (@KatyMontgomerie) February 11, 2019
Date a girl to further increase your pizza advantage.— Elkania Vhin (@elkania_vhin) February 10, 2019
In the end, all of us deserve a full pizza pie, whether you have sausage, avocado, or something else stuffed into your crust.
“I had no idea what it signifies, I posted a similar picture on Twitter before, where food [was] compared with genitalia,” he explained to the Daily Dot in a Twitter message. “This one felt more absurd, so I posted it here. People pointed out to me that it is a metaphor for penis-in-vagina sex and I was like … yikes.”
Searching for the image on Google reveals that it was originally posted on r/funny on Jan. 21, 2017 by Redditor thatisRON. The original post has 19,241 points with an 88 percent upvote ratio. Many Redditors were equally confused by its premise in the original post.
“Ok, I can’t bear it anymore, please ELI5, thank you,” one user wrote. Another commented: “For people not getting this. The male slice goes in the female slice. Penis and vagina.”
Ana Valens is a reporter specializing in online queer communities, marginalized identities, and adult content creation. She is Daily Dot's Trans/Sex columnist. Her work has appeared at Vice, Vox, Truthout, Bitch Media, Kill Screen, Rolling Stone, and the Toast. She lives in Brooklyn, New York, and spends her free time developing queer adult games.