- What exactly is ‘too adult’ for Disney+? 2 Years Ago
- How tall is Michael Bloomberg? 2 Years Ago
- The ’24 hours to respond’ meme holds celebrities to a higher standard Monday 8:46 PM
- Twitter users miss the kids who walked in on their dad’s interview Monday 8:40 PM
- ‘The Thing About Men’ Twitter hashtag is full of sarcasm and misogyny Monday 7:27 PM
- This woman said Hillary Clinton losing the 2016 election gave her PTSD, and people are furious Monday 6:45 PM
- Vanessa Bryant files a lawsuit against helicopter company after deaths of Kobe and Gianna Monday 5:49 PM
- Michael Jordan cries at Kobe Bryant memorial, jokes about creating a new meme Monday 4:43 PM
- Woman’s boyfriend says it’s him or the frogs—Reddit says choose the frogs Monday 4:22 PM
- Greyhound buses will no longer allow Border Patrol checks Monday 4:04 PM
- ‘Eat Them To Defeat Them’ is oddly about vegetables—not about eating the rich Monday 3:26 PM
- Marco Rubio mocked for filming talking while driving socialism critique Monday 2:54 PM
- QAnon believer asks Trump’s campaign press secretary who Q is Monday 2:36 PM
- Octavia Spencer has discovered ‘Ma’ memes—and she can’t get enough Monday 2:09 PM
- Meet the anti-Greta Thunberg, a climate ‘skeptic’ funded by the oil industry Monday 1:12 PM
It’s not spoiling anything about the newest Star Wars film, The Last Jedi, to let you know that it includes a scene with a shirtless Adam Driver. It’s just a brief moment, played for a gag, but Reddit can’t get enough of Kylo Ren’s high-waisted pants and his big, thicc pectoral muscles. Swole Kylo Ren is officially a meme now.
Forget “Mr. Worldwide,” Kylo is Mr. Galaxywide:
Certainly, Driver is buff. After losing more than 30 pounds for his role in Silence, he took on an aggressive workout regimen to bulk up for the Kylo Ren role, and the results are evident. Redditors are calling Driver’s character “Swole Kylo Ren” or “Ben Swolo”—a play on Kylo’s birth name, Ben Solo.
They’re also Photoshopping him to make his head look tiny and his torso look even wider and giving him names like W I D E B O I, Swoleboi and THICC BOI. All of these mean the same thing: Kylo Ren’s torso is enviably massive.
“Measure your torso width and cry from inadequacy,” wrote one commenter.
someone help me make Kylo Ren shirtless a meme pic.twitter.com/D7hs1Fdjey— i still like parks and rec better (@guptuhhh) December 27, 2017
This meme is less about body-shaming Adam Driver and more about genuine awe or envy at how his physique evolved before he filmed The Last Jedi. If you seek to get the W I D E B O I look for yourself, it’s important to remember that Driver is an ex-Marine with access to Hollywood personal trainers. It takes a certain combination of genetics and hard work to become the thiccest man ever to wield the dark side of the Force, and it doesn’t happen overnight. And, in the case of the Ben Swolo memes, it also takes Photoshop.
And it makes the reference to his eight-pack on Saturday Night Live canon.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.