- The internet is mocking Robert Mueller’s report deadline Friday 7:53 PM
- Instagram blocks some anti-vax hashtags—but still has far to go Friday 6:20 PM
- Study: Netflix released more originals than licensed titles last year Friday 2:26 PM
- Laura Ingraham, Dinesh D’Souza slam journalist for having a job Friday 1:40 PM
- Netflix is testing a cheap-as-hell mobile-only plan Friday 1:08 PM
- Astrology app Co-Star’s bizarre push notifications are now a meme Friday 12:18 PM
- ‘The Dirt’ offers a sanitized history of Mötley Crüe—but why? Friday 11:42 AM
- ‘The Dirt’ director Jeff Tremaine on Mötley Crüe’s long, difficult road to Netflix Friday 11:30 AM
- Here’s video of yet another alleged gunman looking for YouTuber Adam22 Friday 11:09 AM
- 12 mugs that are absolutely purr-fect for cat enthusiasts Friday 10:58 AM
- Jared Kushner used WhatsApp for official White House business Friday 10:50 AM
- Unsettled Tom memes are on the rise Friday 10:36 AM
- Trans student nominated for prom king told by administration to run for queen Friday 10:07 AM
- Trump turns on his favorite cable news network Friday 8:56 AM
- Skillshare is offering new users one month of premium for less than $1 Friday 8:34 AM
The Force is T H I C C with this one.
It’s not spoiling anything about the newest Star Wars film, The Last Jedi, to let you know that it includes a scene with a shirtless Adam Driver. It’s just a brief moment, played for a gag, but Reddit can’t get enough of Kylo Ren’s high-waisted pants and his big, thicc pectoral muscles. Swole Kylo Ren is officially a meme now.
Forget “Mr. Worldwide,” Kylo is Mr. Galaxywide:
Certainly, Driver is buff. After losing more than 30 pounds for his role in Silence, he took on an aggressive workout regimen to bulk up for the Kylo Ren role, and the results are evident. Redditors are calling Driver’s character “Swole Kylo Ren” or “Ben Swolo”—a play on Kylo’s birth name, Ben Solo.
They’re also Photoshopping him to make his head look tiny and his torso look even wider and giving him names like W I D E B O I, Swoleboi and THICC BOI. All of these mean the same thing: Kylo Ren’s torso is enviably massive.
“Measure your torso width and cry from inadequacy,” wrote one commenter.
someone help me make Kylo Ren shirtless a meme pic.twitter.com/D7hs1Fdjey
— i still like parks and rec better (@guptuhhh) December 27, 2017
This meme is less about body-shaming Adam Driver and more about genuine awe or envy at how his physique evolved before he filmed The Last Jedi. If you seek to get the W I D E B O I look for yourself, it’s important to remember that Driver is an ex-Marine with access to Hollywood personal trainers. It takes a certain combination of genetics and hard work to become the thiccest man ever to wield the dark side of the Force, and it doesn’t happen overnight. And, in the case of the Ben Swolo memes, it also takes Photoshop.
And it makes the reference to his eight-pack on Saturday Night Live canon.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.