- Netflix thriller ‘Earthquake Bird’ can’t solve its own mystery Monday 4:45 PM
- Goop is selling an expensive ‘restraining arts’ BDSM kit Monday 4:17 PM
- Body positivity actress Lili Reinhart calls out Photoshopping app Monday 3:42 PM
- ‘Rick and Morty’ zeroes in on connections and leans into familiar territory Monday 3:30 PM
- People are sharing photos of how much they’ve changed in a decade Monday 2:30 PM
- A few of our favorite things on Newegg are on sale for Black Friday Monday 2:15 PM
- Disney adds ‘Bob’s Burgers’ movie back to release schedule after accidentally yanking it Monday 2:02 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez launches petition demanding Stephen Miller’s resignation Monday 1:24 PM
- Prince Andrew’s defense against child sex crimes stokes conspiracy theory flames Monday 1:20 PM
- More people may be looking to cancel Disney+ than Netflix Monday 1:09 PM
- Monday Night Football: How to stream Chiefs vs. Chargers live Monday 1:00 PM
- After days of deadly protests, Iran implements ‘largest internet shutdown ever’ Monday 12:55 PM
- ‘Disney Plus and thrust’ is apparently the new Netflix and Chill Monday 12:32 PM
- Woman fired, sued after coworker shared their sexts Monday 12:22 PM
- Group running GoFundMe for border wall breaks ground without permits Monday 11:47 AM
It’s not spoiling anything about the newest Star Wars film, The Last Jedi, to let you know that it includes a scene with a shirtless Adam Driver. It’s just a brief moment, played for a gag, but Reddit can’t get enough of Kylo Ren’s high-waisted pants and his big, thicc pectoral muscles. Swole Kylo Ren is officially a meme now.
Forget “Mr. Worldwide,” Kylo is Mr. Galaxywide:
Certainly, Driver is buff. After losing more than 30 pounds for his role in Silence, he took on an aggressive workout regimen to bulk up for the Kylo Ren role, and the results are evident. Redditors are calling Driver’s character “Swole Kylo Ren” or “Ben Swolo”—a play on Kylo’s birth name, Ben Solo.
They’re also Photoshopping him to make his head look tiny and his torso look even wider and giving him names like W I D E B O I, Swoleboi and THICC BOI. All of these mean the same thing: Kylo Ren’s torso is enviably massive.
“Measure your torso width and cry from inadequacy,” wrote one commenter.
someone help me make Kylo Ren shirtless a meme pic.twitter.com/D7hs1Fdjey— i still like parks and rec better (@guptuhhh) December 27, 2017
This meme is less about body-shaming Adam Driver and more about genuine awe or envy at how his physique evolved before he filmed The Last Jedi. If you seek to get the W I D E B O I look for yourself, it’s important to remember that Driver is an ex-Marine with access to Hollywood personal trainers. It takes a certain combination of genetics and hard work to become the thiccest man ever to wield the dark side of the Force, and it doesn’t happen overnight. And, in the case of the Ben Swolo memes, it also takes Photoshop.
And it makes the reference to his eight-pack on Saturday Night Live canon.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.