- Google ‘terminates’ Dragonfly, its censored search engine for China 8 Years Ago
- AOC rips Facebook during Libra House hearing 8 Years Ago
- The time traveler conversation meme finds its way to TikTok Today 2:52 PM
- Grimes claims she had an ‘experimental’ eye surgery and practices sword fighting Today 2:42 PM
- 70 Border Patrol employees under investigation for posts in secret Facebook group Today 1:45 PM
- Republican’s Operation Safe Return criticized as cover for mass deporation Today 1:42 PM
- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there Today 12:18 PM
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder Today 12:14 PM
- Harry Styles is in talks to play Prince Eric in ‘The Little Mermaid’ Today 11:44 AM
- Graphic video shows father beating young daughter for being sexually active Today 11:40 AM
- Black conservative activist made #IceBae a thing Today 9:53 AM
- Jeffrey Epstein’s pilot deletes Instagram after Kellyanne Conway pic surfaces Today 7:56 AM
- ‘Pennyworth’ is a deliriously strange addition to the Batman franchise Today 7:30 AM
- How to read free magazines with your Amazon Prime membership Today 7:00 AM
- 2020 celeb donations: Hanks loves Biden, Stamos stans Buttigieg Today 6:30 AM
The social news site is overwhelmingly young and male, according to a new survey.
Social news site Reddit released a treasure trove of data on its users earlier today. The stats came from a volunteer demographic survey the site launched in July.
The data, released as a spreadsheet, contains information from over 32,000 redditors, the site’s term for its users. Since the site sees about 20 million unique visitors a month, and participation was voluntary, the data isn’t necessarily representative, but the results nonetheless give an eye into an online community that’s often misunderstood and misrepresented.
Reddit’s official blog post on the survey results only summarized a few trends — about half of redditors are in a relationship, for instance, and their favored cheese is cheddar (where are you, limburger fans?).
But thankfully, the data’s already fallen under the intense scrutiny of Reddit’s user base.
Here are just a few interesting things they’ve discovered:
* Almost half of survey participants are between the ages of 18 and 24.
* A majority of the rest are between 25 and 34 (so about 80 percent of participants are between 18 and 35 years old).
* A vast majority of those surveyed are male (about 80 percent across all age groups).
Keep in mind, all this data is self-reported, and the sample is self-selected, which means it’s hardly scientific. Maybe all those Reddit girls and people over the age of 35 just didn’t respond to the survey.
Or, more likely: Reddit’s users really are overwhelmingly young and male. Is it really that surprising?
Photo by untitlism
Kevin Morris is a veteran web reporter and editor who specializes in longform journalism. He led the Daily Dot’s esports vertical and, following its acquisition by GAMURS in late 2016, launched Dot Esports, where he serves as the site’s editor-in-chief.