- QAnon-touting congressman sneaks ‘Epstein Didn’t Kill Himself’ into tweets Wednesday 7:12 PM
- Ocasio-Cortez met a famous drag queen–and the right melted down Wednesday 6:09 PM
- Woman says Lyft driver tried to kidnap her Wednesday 5:18 PM
- Debunking the right-wing conspiracy theories from today’s impeachment hearing Wednesday 4:29 PM
- Maroon 5 approves of the latest TikTok trend Wednesday 3:54 PM
- ‘One month left in the decade’ meme wants to know what you’ve accomplished Wednesday 3:53 PM
- Facebook Pay is the latest way to send your friends money Wednesday 3:31 PM
- Diving into ‘The Mandalorian’s first big shocker Wednesday 3:17 PM
- Disney+ will allow password sharing—to an extent Wednesday 1:12 PM
- Black server says manager refused to discipline coworkers who sent racist receipt Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Who is Jonah Hauer-King, Disney’s new Prince Eric? Wednesday 12:47 PM
- Cut Katherine Langford ‘Avengers: Endgame’ scene lands on Disney+ Wednesday 12:22 PM
- Planned Parenthood app to show abortion-seeking users their nearest options Wednesday 12:21 PM
- ‘The Imagineering Story’ offers touching insight into Walt Disney’s vision Wednesday 11:57 AM
- YouTube mom who was charged with child abuse dead at 48 Wednesday 11:39 AM
Reddit’s Secret Santa ensures a merry Christmas
Reddit’s holiday gift exchange offers far more than knitted sweaters and ornaments—at least for one thankful user of the social news site.
When you take part in the world’s largest secret Santa gift exchange, there’s always chance you’ll get a package of awesome in the mail come Christmas time.
Just ask redditor Flesh_Odium. She jumped into social news site Reddit’s 40,000-member-strong gift-giving madhouse earlier this year and, like everyone else, had no idea what to expect. Maybe a handmade zombie doll? An old GameBoy? A Jon Stewart For President mug?
She got a brand new laptop.
“I have needed a laptop for the longest freaking time i have no idea how this person knew I needed a laptop,” she said in a video posted to YouTube.
“I was NOT expecting this,” Flesh_Odium added in a post on Reddit gifts. “You sir or maam have made my life.”
Earlier this year, as part of another gift exchange, Jimmy Fallon and his house band, the Roots, serenaded one lucky redditor in song. In the annals of gift exchanges on Reddit, however, Flesh_Odium’s laptop comes up near the top—not because the gift was expensive, but because Flesh_Odium was so moved her hands begin to shake.
When your giftee can hardly hold your present out of excitement, you’ve pretty much won at secret Santa.
Kevin Morris is a veteran web reporter and editor who specializes in longform journalism. He led the Daily Dot’s esports vertical and, following its acquisition by GAMURS in late 2016, launched Dot Esports, where he serves as the site’s editor-in-chief.