- Deepfake-style videos can now be made with just a single image 8 Months Ago
- The Lonely Island’s ‘Bash Brothers’ is what Netflix should be doing with short-form comedy 8 Months Ago
- ‘Green dress lady’ proves green screen memes are still going strong 8 Months Ago
- ‘Bowling alley strike screen’ memes are bizarre and wonderful Today 12:40 PM
- TikTok star Mohit Mor shot and killed Today 12:00 PM
- Stephen A. Smith is baby Today 11:43 AM
- Tfue releases statement on FaZe Clan lawsuit, says his contract is ‘f*cked’ Today 11:34 AM
- People are using an app to out gropers on Japan’s subway Today 11:24 AM
- Trump misspelled ‘accomplishments’ on handwritten notes, photo shows Today 11:12 AM
- HUD proposal would allow homeless shelters to refuse trans people Today 10:44 AM
- Disney’s ‘Aladdin’ remake isn’t terrible Today 10:11 AM
- Police under investigation after running over 1-year-old child Today 9:16 AM
- Who is Jannah, the breakout star of ‘Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker’? Today 9:10 AM
- Trump revives his ‘dumb as a rock’ insult for Rex Tillerson Today 9:03 AM
- Forget Hot Jafar. All hail Fat Ursula Today 8:14 AM
‘Cause it’s a Hex Nut…and it’s gonna put a Poké-spell on you.
It’s not every day that a new Pokémon is announced, but fans got a brand new addition to the miles-long Pokédex today.
If you’ve caught a Ditto in #PokemonGO recently…you might want to take a closer look! 😱 We can now confirm reports of wild Ditto transforming into the new Hex Nut Pokémon, Meltan! https://t.co/dU8Zj1uX4m pic.twitter.com/i6IrNxiIlA
— Pokémon (@Pokemon) September 25, 2018
The Mythical Pokémon Meltan is a truly bizarre new creature, and it’s coming to both Niantic’s massively popular mobile game Pokémon Go as well as the upcoming Nintendo Switch titles, Pokémon Let’s Go, Pikachu and Eevee.
It’s referred to as the “Hex Nut Pokémon,” which as you can imagine no one on the internet is joking about at all.
when you finna hexnut
— Glen (@Lenvelope_) September 25, 2018
lets just say its no coincidence that the 'hex nut' occurs in the same place where the 'magic' happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! when i have 'sex'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! https://t.co/TYIhLLhzb4
— Sid Menon Xtreme Legends (@BeamSplashX) September 25, 2018
>Hex Nut Pokemon pic.twitter.com/ob66sfpNvd
— Teflon (@Teflon_Tape) September 25, 2018
I still can’t believe they called it the “Hex Nut” Pokemon… but missed out on the opportunity to make it a ghost/steel type and play up the pun… HEHEH… sorry
— lois griffin (@blisseystan) September 25, 2018
Not one person.
The new Pokemon is seriously called the HEX NUT Pokemon? Lookin like a lil cum collection over here…Nintendo can’t catch a break.
— John (Smash Bros Scoundrel) (@john_michonski) September 25, 2018
It's called the HEX. NUT. Pokémon. You're not going to shake me off of this one.
— Patrice (@mikeroftholmes) September 25, 2018
Does Hex Nut mean you nut six times??? #meltan
— Rotomotorz (@rotomotorz) September 25, 2018
So glad they distinguished it as the "hex nut" pokemon instead of just the "nut" pokemon.
— Zack (@RipCheato) September 25, 2018
It’s a Steel-type monster with a body made entirely out of liquid metal, which gives it the ability to use its body to corrode metal, which it then absorbs into itself. Uh, it also looks like a Ditto with a hex nut on top of its head. Which makes total sense, because apparently wild Dittos can actually transform into Meltan out in the wild!
The logistics of how this actually works are unclear. If you’re not hip with all the Pokémon lore, Ditto can transform into any Pokémon it chooses to —so does it choose to copy Meltan or molten steel for some reason? …How does that work, exactly?
Other Pokémon fans are just shook by the fact that Meltan looks just like a hex nut on a silver Ditto’s body, and as such a bit unimpressive.
It's literally just a hex nut pic.twitter.com/8I8TT8yVoa
— Garioshi (@Gary_Oakshi) September 25, 2018
pokemon when i was a kid: it's an adorable mouse that gives electric kisses!
pokemon when i was a teen: it's an angry pool toy
pokemon now: it's a garbage bag with a hex nut for a head
— michael lutz, skittish leaping gallant (@WarrenIsDead) September 25, 2018
According to Nintendo, Pokémon Go will be instrumental in bringing Meltan into the new switch titles. The company has noted that “updates will be provided” in the future after “more is discovered” about the newest Pokémon.
You gotta hand it to Pokémon, though. The games have been making creatures out of keys, ice cream cones, and other inanimate objects for years. Meltan is just the latest out of many, and it’s a very cute little monster indeed—even if touching it probably means your flesh will be melted right down to your bone.
Brittany Vincent has covered gaming, anime, tech, and entertainment for over a decade. When she’s not writing, she’s replaying Um Jammer Lammy or Day of the Tentacle for the hundredth time while pining for a Harvester sequel. Find her on Twitter @MolotovCupcake.