- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire 4 Years Ago
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction 4 Years Ago
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained 4 Years Ago
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Today 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Today 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Today 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Today 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Today 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Today 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Today 12:31 PM
- Report: Ben Carson made transphobic comments at HUD meeting Today 12:30 PM
- Where to buy the Switch Lite and everything else you need to know Today 12:28 PM
- Facebook is experimenting with apps targeting teens Today 12:21 PM
- #LiveFromTheArea51Raid: Memes and highlights from the desert Today 12:06 PM
- Ready for Dark Mode? Here’s how to get it, and everything else in iOS 13 Today 11:41 AM
Upset by the NFL‘s decision to suspend New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady four games for his role in #Deflategate and fine the franchise $1 million? Well, you now how have the opportunity to “help.”
A new GoFundMe page aims to raise that million so cruelly levied upon the team for cheating (again). Wrote the page’s organizer:
We obviously know we won’t reach One Million Dollars, however we do believe the fine is bulls**t and want to help anyway we can. So whatever is donated will be donated to the New England Patriots in help with the fine! As we venture with this, we will do frequent updates to show progression of this! If enough is made to make the travel, we will fly down there (on our own expenses) and deliver a check in person!
As of 12:30pm CT on Tuesday, 238 people had donated a total of $3,574 to the cause. Which means that 238 people probably should have saved their money and spent it on something else.
In addition to the NFL fining the team $1 million, the league also has taken away a first-round draft pick in 2016 and a fourth-round pick in 2017. By missing four games, Brady will also lose $2 million of his base salary. (So where’s his damn GoFundMe page?!)
And if you want to turn up the cynicism all the way to 11 …
As a reminder, the NFL makes billions and billions of dollars per year, in part by making fans pay exorbitant fees for tickets, parking, merchandise, concessions, and DirecTV Sunday packages.
But sure, give the Patriots another $10 for getting caught cheating. Because in sports, if you’re not paying gobs of money to rich men who don’t really care about your wellbeing, you’re not a real fan.
Photo via Dave Rezendes/Flickr (CC BY-ND 2.0)
Josh Katzowitz is a staff writer at the Daily Dot specializing in YouTube and boxing. His work has appeared in the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Los Angeles Times. A longtime sports writer, he's covered the NFL for CBSSports.com and boxing for Forbes. His work has been noted twice in the Best American Sports Writing book series.