- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover 3 Years Ago
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free 3 Years Ago
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment 3 Years Ago
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
Senator turns North Carolina governor into Crying Jordan after NBA pulls All-Star Game
TFW your governor is awful.
The state of North Carolina is none too happy that the NBA decided to pull the 2017 All-Star Game. Citing anti-LGBT legislation, the game has moved from Charlotte to a presumably more inclusive location that has yet to be announced.
An email leaked to the Charlotte Observer shows the ire some North Carolinians are feeling by way of Hornets minority owner Felix Sabates. The correspondence shows Sabates going off in support of HB2, known colloquially as the transgender bathroom law. Regarding trans people having to take a piss, Sabates reportedly had this to say:
this is plain wrong, this could cause irreparable damages to a children’s that don’t understand why they have to see what God did not mean for them to witness, we have some very confused business as well as political humans that frankly have made this a political issue rather then moral issues, SHAME ON THEM.
Not everyone in the Tar Heel State has such discriminatory opinions, however. Meet Sen. Jeff Jackson. He’s had enough of this shit.
As Jackson effectively illustrates via Crying Jordan, it’s not trans people that cost the state of North Carolina the lucrative NBA event, it’s transphobia. Jackson wasn’t done providing brilliant imagery to the American public after that fire tweet roasting Gov. Pat McCrory.
Burn. Here’s hoping the powers that be wise up before another all-star opportunity goes up in flames.
A former Weekend Editor at the Daily Dot, April Siese's reporting covers everything from technology and politics to web culture and humor. Her work has been published by Bustle, Uproxx, Death and Taxes, Rolling Stone, the Daily Beast, Thrillist, Atlas Obscura, and others. Siese joined Quartz in December 2016.