- 2016 election stories the ‘Newsroom’ reboot will cover 1 Year Ago
- How to stream Brandon Rios vs. Humberto Soto for free Today 6:00 AM
- ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ heads to ‘Bly Manor’ for next installment Today 5:45 AM
- How to stream James DeGale vs. Chris Eubank Jr. for free Today 5:30 AM
- How to stream UFC Fight Night 145 in Prague for free Today 5:00 AM
- R. Kelly charged in Chicago with multiple counts of sex abuse Friday 7:51 PM
- Elon Musk finally hosts PewDiePie’s meme review Friday 6:27 PM
- Netflix throws ‘Umbrella Academy’-themed wedding for fans Friday 4:54 PM
- Report: Facebook collects app data on users’ body weight, menstrual cycles Friday 3:38 PM
- Amy Klobuchar reportedly ate salad with a comb, and Twitter’s got questions Friday 2:47 PM
- Nobody likes Spotify’s new update Friday 2:34 PM
- Student assaulted on campus while tabling for right-wing group Friday 1:56 PM
- Kim Kardashian West sues fashion company for using her likeness to sell clothes Friday 1:12 PM
- The Oscar-nominated movies you’ll actually want to watch again Friday 12:56 PM
- Viral graphic shows the moment Apple became the top brand Friday 12:27 PM
Papa John’s blames NFL for spiraling pizza sales—but maybe the pizza just sucks
Papa John’s founder John Schnatter on Wednesday blamed the NFL’s handling of the national anthem controversy for the company’s spiraling pizza sales.
“The NFL has hurt us,” Schnatter said on a conference call. “We are disappointed the NFL and its leadership did not resolve this… Leadership starts at the top, and this is an example of poor leadership.”
NFL ratings have been down this year following the decision of some athletes to kneel during the national anthem. The protests against racial inequality and police brutality began last year with Colin Kaepernick, and were revived again in recent months when President Donald Trump criticized players.
Papa John’s has been the NFL’s official pizza sponsor since 2010. The pizza maker’s sales sank more than 11 percent in the third quarter.
After Schnatter’s remarks, people on Twitter put Papa John’s pizza on blast.
Papa Johns tastes like a U-Haul seat cushion
— Roy Wood Jr- Ex Jedi (@roywoodjr) November 1, 2017
First Papa Johns blames Obamacare, now the NFL
Maybe your pizza just sucks, like your judgement?
— Jemisha (@jemisha_johnson) November 1, 2017
How is there controversy over Papa Johns pizza? I thought there was bipartisan agreement that it's disgusting.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) November 1, 2017
Papa Johns would rather blame poor sales on NFL players kneeling than accept the fact that Little Caesars Hot N Ready is for the people.
— Marcella Arguello (@marcellacomedy) November 1, 2017
Papa Johns pizza tastes like scapegoat cheese with ketchup on a crust of stale excuses.
— Eugene Gu, MD (@eugenegu) November 1, 2017
Schnatter, who donated to Trump’s campaign, said the anthem controversy “should have been nipped in the bud” by now.
“Once the issue is resolved, we’re optimistic the NFL’s best years are ahead,” he said.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.