- Gillette ad showing a dad teaching his trans son how to shave has the internet in tears 2 Years Ago
- 4chan’s new troll campaign aims to make the hashtag a white supremacist symbol Today 2:49 PM
- Here’s what that ‘cliff wife’ meme is all about Today 12:58 PM
- Artist suspended from Facebook, Instagram after posting anti-MAGA artwork Today 12:04 PM
- How to watch Serie A online for free Today 7:30 AM
- What does ‘uwu’ mean? Today 7:00 AM
- How to uninstall the Epic Games Launcher (for real) Today 6:30 AM
- How to watch the Indianapolis 500 online for free Today 6:00 AM
- Ohio KKK rally met with massive counter-protest and witty signs from local businesses Saturday 5:06 PM
- Guy who said he stole drugs from MS-13 now says viral story is fake Saturday 4:07 PM
- Financial service company left 885 million private records exposed online Saturday 3:13 PM
- Sasha Obama went to prom and Twitter is delighted with the photos Saturday 2:22 PM
- Jon Voight says Trump is the greatest president since Lincoln in Twitter videos Saturday 1:31 PM
- #DeleteFacebook gains momentum after the platform refused to remove doctored Nancy Pelosi videos Saturday 11:58 AM
- ‘Game of Thrones’ failed women—and it’s a shame on its legacy Saturday 7:40 AM
Papa John’s blames NFL for spiraling pizza sales—but maybe the pizza just sucks
Papa John’s founder John Schnatter on Wednesday blamed the NFL’s handling of the national anthem controversy for the company’s spiraling pizza sales.
“The NFL has hurt us,” Schnatter said on a conference call. “We are disappointed the NFL and its leadership did not resolve this… Leadership starts at the top, and this is an example of poor leadership.”
NFL ratings have been down this year following the decision of some athletes to kneel during the national anthem. The protests against racial inequality and police brutality began last year with Colin Kaepernick, and were revived again in recent months when President Donald Trump criticized players.
Papa John’s has been the NFL’s official pizza sponsor since 2010. The pizza maker’s sales sank more than 11 percent in the third quarter.
After Schnatter’s remarks, people on Twitter put Papa John’s pizza on blast.
Papa Johns tastes like a U-Haul seat cushion
— Roy Wood Jr- Ex Jedi (@roywoodjr) November 1, 2017
First Papa Johns blames Obamacare, now the NFL
Maybe your pizza just sucks, like your judgement?
— Jemisha (@jemisha_johnson) November 1, 2017
How is there controversy over Papa Johns pizza? I thought there was bipartisan agreement that it's disgusting.
— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) November 1, 2017
Papa Johns would rather blame poor sales on NFL players kneeling than accept the fact that Little Caesars Hot N Ready is for the people.
— Marcella Arguello (@marcellacomedy) November 1, 2017
Papa Johns pizza tastes like scapegoat cheese with ketchup on a crust of stale excuses.
— Eugene Gu, MD (@eugenegu) November 1, 2017
Schnatter, who donated to Trump’s campaign, said the anthem controversy “should have been nipped in the bud” by now.
“Once the issue is resolved, we’re optimistic the NFL’s best years are ahead,” he said.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.