- ‘Chernobyl’ star Jared Harris is concerned about people taking Instagrams there 2 Years Ago
- Mattel’s BTS dolls are finally up for preorder 2 Years Ago
- Harry Styles is in talks to play Prince Eric in ‘The Little Mermaid’ Today 11:44 AM
- Graphic video shows father beating young daughter for being sexually active Today 11:40 AM
- Black conservative activist made #IceBae a thing Today 9:53 AM
- Jeffrey Epstein’s pilot deletes Instagram after Kellyanne Conway pic surfaces Today 7:56 AM
- ‘Pennyworth’ is a deliriously strange addition to the Batman franchise Today 7:30 AM
- How to read free magazines with your Amazon Prime membership Today 7:00 AM
- 2020 celeb donations: Hanks loves Biden, Stamos stans Buttigieg Today 6:30 AM
- AirTV is essential for Sling TV subscribers Today 6:00 AM
- #ICEBae is reportedly a Democrat–and she has some things to get off her chest Tuesday 8:45 PM
- Fans are stoked that Taika Waititi is back to direct ‘Thor 4’ Tuesday 7:22 PM
- Sacha Baron Cohen thanks ‘co-stars’ Dick Cheney, Sarah Palin for making Emmy nominations possible Tuesday 6:43 PM
- Roger Stone barred from posting on all social media platforms Tuesday 6:03 PM
- The FaceApp challenge shows you how gracefully you’ll age Tuesday 5:16 PM
Papa John’s blames NFL for spiraling pizza sales—but maybe the pizza just sucks
Papa John’s founder John Schnatter on Wednesday blamed the NFL’s handling of the national anthem controversy for the company’s spiraling pizza sales.
“The NFL has hurt us,” Schnatter said on a conference call. “We are disappointed the NFL and its leadership did not resolve this… Leadership starts at the top, and this is an example of poor leadership.”
NFL ratings have been down this year following the decision of some athletes to kneel during the national anthem. The protests against racial inequality and police brutality began last year with Colin Kaepernick, and were revived again in recent months when President Donald Trump criticized players.
Papa John’s has been the NFL’s official pizza sponsor since 2010. The pizza maker’s sales sank more than 11 percent in the third quarter.
After Schnatter’s remarks, people on Twitter put Papa John’s pizza on blast.
Papa Johns tastes like a U-Haul seat cushion— Roy Wood Jr- Ex Jedi (@roywoodjr) November 1, 2017
First Papa Johns blames Obamacare, now the NFL— Jemisha (@jemisha_johnson) November 1, 2017
Maybe your pizza just sucks, like your judgement?
How is there controversy over Papa Johns pizza? I thought there was bipartisan agreement that it's disgusting.— James Gunn (@JamesGunn) November 1, 2017
Papa Johns would rather blame poor sales on NFL players kneeling than accept the fact that Little Caesars Hot N Ready is for the people.— Marcella Arguello (@marcellacomedy) November 1, 2017
Papa Johns pizza tastes like scapegoat cheese with ketchup on a crust of stale excuses.— Eugene Gu, MD (@eugenegu) November 1, 2017
Schnatter, who donated to Trump’s campaign, said the anthem controversy “should have been nipped in the bud” by now.
“Once the issue is resolved, we’re optimistic the NFL’s best years are ahead,” he said.
Kris Seavers is the Evening Editor for the Daily Dot, where she covers breaking news, politics, and LGBTQ issues. Her work has appeared in Central Texas publications, including Austin Monthly and San Antonio Magazine, and on NPR.