- How to watch tonight’s fire Warriors vs. Mavericks matchup online 8 Years Ago
- Android security flaw could have let hackers hijack your phone’s camera 8 Years Ago
- How Julia Roberts playing Harriet Tubman became a meme 8 Years Ago
- Woman banned from Instagram for sharing d*ck pic she didn’t ask for 8 Years Ago
- People risking concussions for new TikTok challenge Today 11:14 AM
- A ‘Joker’ sequel is in the works from Warner Bros. Today 11:06 AM
- Is Jake Paul going to fight again? There are plenty of clues Today 10:57 AM
- Ghostemane concert abruptly canceled amid ‘safety concerns’ and reported gun threat Today 10:41 AM
- Trump Jr. retweets UFC fighter who called troop a ‘douche bag’ Today 10:26 AM
- The best apps and gadgets for cooking the perfect Thanksgiving feast Today 10:22 AM
- Amazon says police can hold on to Ring videos indefinitely Today 9:42 AM
- Henry Cavill on the prospect of playing Superman again: ‘the cape is still in the closet’ Today 9:15 AM
- Why does Pete Buttigieg always tweet ‘buh’? Today 9:08 AM
- Noah Hawley will direct the next ‘Star Trek’ movie starring Chris Pine Today 8:51 AM
- Vidgo is a streaming bonanza of live sports Today 8:40 AM
Myspace prepares for yet another relaunch
After being purchased by Specific Media last June, the company is taking steps to prepare for a brand relaunch later this year.
Myspace has gone through more changes than Lady Gaga at a bad awards show.
After being purchased by Specific Media last June, the company is readying itself for a brand relaunch later this year. That’s despite the site going through some big changes just a few months ago, with the addition of a music player and Myspace TV.
Specific Media has spoken with a number of public relations agencies, with the goal of starting a formal pitch process, perhaps in a bid to bring more high-profile advertisers on board.
“Myspace will look to roll out consumer-facing activity towards the end of this year, at which time we’ll most likely undertake a formal pitch, but nothing is happening at this time,” Rikki Webster, Specific Media’s senior communications manager for Europe, told PRWeek.
Over the last couple of years, Myspace has been attempting to refocus itself as an entertainment destination rather than a social network. The site has always had a strong music component, and Justin Timberlake, who now holds a stake in Myspace, is apparently eager to focus on artists’ creativity.
Data from comScore suggests Myspace had 34.9 million unique U.S. visitors in May 2011, less than half the 75.9 million unique visitors it saw in December 2008. However, the site received a boost earlier this year when it revealed it had a million new users in the space of two months.
Facebook might be the dominant presence on the Web, but Myspace has at least one thing going for it: users hang around longer than they do on Google+.
Photo via YouTube
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.