- Teacher caught on video in racist rant put on leave without pay Tuesday 5:44 PM
- Pornhub pulls Girls Do Porn videos amid sex trafficking charges Tuesday 4:49 PM
- Gina Rodriguez sings N-word on Instagram story Tuesday 4:41 PM
- Trump Jr. mocked for Hunter Biden tweet about profiting from dad’s name Tuesday 3:58 PM
- All the holiday movies and shows coming to Netflix in 2019 Tuesday 3:48 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em Week 7: The QB blues Tuesday 3:29 PM
- Microsoft developing voice filters to block ‘toxic’ users on Xbox Live Tuesday 3:27 PM
- Jennifer Aniston already has 2 million followers on Instagram Tuesday 3:25 PM
- Why facials oils are a must for your winter skincare routine Tuesday 3:20 PM
- Father of mega-popular Ace Family YouTube channel accused of rape Tuesday 1:59 PM
- This Italian town ‘banned’ Google Maps after people kept getting lost Tuesday 1:31 PM
- Fornite emerges from black hole with Chapter 2 Tuesday 1:21 PM
- Everything Google announced at today’s Pixel event Tuesday 1:12 PM
- Netflix sued over line about interrogation technique in ‘When They See Us’ Tuesday 12:52 PM
- Twitch streamer says racist trolls got her banned for ‘suggestive’ outfit Tuesday 12:47 PM
Myspace prepares for yet another relaunch
After being purchased by Specific Media last June, the company is taking steps to prepare for a brand relaunch later this year.
Myspace has gone through more changes than Lady Gaga at a bad awards show.
After being purchased by Specific Media last June, the company is readying itself for a brand relaunch later this year. That’s despite the site going through some big changes just a few months ago, with the addition of a music player and Myspace TV.
Specific Media has spoken with a number of public relations agencies, with the goal of starting a formal pitch process, perhaps in a bid to bring more high-profile advertisers on board.
“Myspace will look to roll out consumer-facing activity towards the end of this year, at which time we’ll most likely undertake a formal pitch, but nothing is happening at this time,” Rikki Webster, Specific Media’s senior communications manager for Europe, told PRWeek.
Over the last couple of years, Myspace has been attempting to refocus itself as an entertainment destination rather than a social network. The site has always had a strong music component, and Justin Timberlake, who now holds a stake in Myspace, is apparently eager to focus on artists’ creativity.
Data from comScore suggests Myspace had 34.9 million unique U.S. visitors in May 2011, less than half the 75.9 million unique visitors it saw in December 2008. However, the site received a boost earlier this year when it revealed it had a million new users in the space of two months.
Facebook might be the dominant presence on the Web, but Myspace has at least one thing going for it: users hang around longer than they do on Google+.
Photo via YouTube
Based in Montreal, Kris Holt has been writing about technology and web culture since 2010. He writes for Engadget and Tech News World, and his byline has also appeared in Paste, Salon, International Business Times, Mashable, and elsewhere.