- Game developer Chucklefish accused of whitewashing characters of color Monday 5:22 PM
- Apple TV’s ‘Hala’ is a silent explosion of a coming-of-age film Monday 5:20 PM
- This new video game apparently lets you play Jesus Monday 4:02 PM
- Golden toilet creator sells world’s most expensive banana—only for another artist to eat it Monday 3:24 PM
- This new Chinese video game lets players attack Hong Kong protesters Monday 3:05 PM
- These TikTok videos that recreate NPC interactions from Skyrim are honestly incredible Monday 2:40 PM
- John Legend defends pro-consent ‘Baby It’s Cold Outside’ lyrics Monday 2:38 PM
- Video shows UC Berkeley student using racial slurs, making homophobic comments Monday 2:36 PM
- New video reveals Brother Nature instigated sandwich shop fight Monday 2:06 PM
- Lizzo’s thong dress breaks the internet Monday 1:25 PM
- Pixel Buds 2 or Apple AirPods 2: Which are right for you? Monday 1:09 PM
- It’s 2019: Make your holiday cards online, for free this year Monday 12:47 PM
- Fighting over the ‘Marriage Story’ fight scene becomes a meme Monday 12:41 PM
- ‘Trump is innocent!’: InfoWars correspondent interrupts impeachment hearing Monday 12:12 PM
- Video shows runner smacking reporter’s butt on live TV Monday 11:46 AM
YouTube’s favorite grandpa has amazing tips for fleeing a nursing home
“I escaped a German POW camp,” says Mr. Forthright. “You think I can’t give the senior center a slip?”
If you think the Greatest Generation is hopelessly technologically impaired, get to know Mr. Forthright. The stereotype-defying elder is offering up tidbits of advice on his YouTube channel of how-to videos.
Do you want to quit smoking? Maybe get a girlfriend? Or how about winning the lottery? Mr. Forthright knows it all. He has amassed an impressive following—about 5,000 subscribers—on his YouTube channel, which features some not-so-practical advice on just about every life situation.
His latest video, “How to Escape From a Nursing Home,” gives insight into the more creative ways to survive as a geriatric gent on the lam.
Suggestions for escape include throwing soiled adult diapers at the nurses, calling Life Alert, and sneaking out when everyone else in the nursing home is asleep—around 8:00pm.
“I escaped a German POW camp,” he says. “You think I can’t give the senior center a slip?”
Mr. Forthright’s humor is intentionally immature, which is what makes his videos so watchable. He claims to have stopped the Y2K attack, and he lists “naked skydiving” as an interest on his Facebook page. A true Renaissance man, Mr. Forthright has also published several e-books. Our favorites: How to Lose Weight Through Hibernation and How to Get Your Neighbors to Move.
Screenshot via YouTube/Mr. Forthright
Cody Permenter is a social media strategist and content creator. His work has appeared in Thrillist, Digg, and Cheezburger, Inc.