- Indie game publisher announces Playdate, a console with a hand crank Wednesday 8:18 PM
- How to get The Sims 4 for free Wednesday 7:45 PM
- Trump’s Rose Garden podium sign is the perfect meme canvas Wednesday 7:34 PM
- Forest Whitaker to produce adaptation of novel ‘Hello, Universe’ for Netflix Wednesday 6:58 PM
- Baltimore still refuses to pay hackers who hit city with ransomware Wednesday 5:34 PM
- Net neutrality advocates slam ‘extremely troubling’ letter circulating among some House Dems Wednesday 4:52 PM
- Moms and grandmas are infiltrating TikTok Wednesday 4:35 PM
- Did Britain’s head Brexiter hide in a bus to avoid getting hit by a milkshake? Wednesday 4:26 PM
- This woman who thought she saw a handmaid about to jump from a building is very relieved Wednesday 4:18 PM
- Michael Avenatti allegedly defrauded Stormy Daniels to pay for a Ferrari Wednesday 3:53 PM
- HBO has no plans for an Arya Stark spinoff series Wednesday 3:28 PM
- Republicans and Democrats agree on dangers of facial recognition tech Wednesday 3:18 PM
- Amazon is using video games and ‘swag bucks’ to incentivize workers Wednesday 3:04 PM
- Here’s what’s coming and going on Netflix in June Wednesday 2:46 PM
- This Michael Jackson makeup meme is sweeping TikTok Wednesday 2:45 PM
YouTube’s favorite grandpa has amazing tips for fleeing a nursing home
“I escaped a German POW camp,” says Mr. Forthright. “You think I can’t give the senior center a slip?”
If you think the Greatest Generation is hopelessly technologically impaired, get to know Mr. Forthright. The stereotype-defying elder is offering up tidbits of advice on his YouTube channel of how-to videos.
Do you want to quit smoking? Maybe get a girlfriend? Or how about winning the lottery? Mr. Forthright knows it all. He has amassed an impressive following—about 5,000 subscribers—on his YouTube channel, which features some not-so-practical advice on just about every life situation.
His latest video, “How to Escape From a Nursing Home,” gives insight into the more creative ways to survive as a geriatric gent on the lam.
Suggestions for escape include throwing soiled adult diapers at the nurses, calling Life Alert, and sneaking out when everyone else in the nursing home is asleep—around 8:00pm.
“I escaped a German POW camp,” he says. “You think I can’t give the senior center a slip?”
Mr. Forthright’s humor is intentionally immature, which is what makes his videos so watchable. He claims to have stopped the Y2K attack, and he lists “naked skydiving” as an interest on his Facebook page. A true Renaissance man, Mr. Forthright has also published several e-books. Our favorites: How to Lose Weight Through Hibernation and How to Get Your Neighbors to Move.
Screenshot via YouTube/Mr. Forthright
Cody Permenter is a social media strategist and content creator. His work has appeared in Thrillist, Digg, and Cheezburger, Inc.