- Review: ‘Altered Carbon’ returns with an overcomplicated second season 7 Years Ago
- Mike Pence, who fueled HIV outbreak, is now in charge of coronavirus outbreak Wednesday 9:15 PM
- Distressing TikTok shows woman being sexually harassed Wednesday 7:49 PM
- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
The Morning GIF: At home with Guillaume Kurkdjian
A silky smooth, complete animation from a 22-year-old Frenchman.
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
A complete GIF animation only comes along once in awhile.
These animations not only blur the lines between beginning and end but are so silky smooth and mysterious that you keep watching to see if you missed some sort of clue.
This is the sort of feeling you get when seeing the following animation from 22-year-old Frenchman Guillaume Kurkdjian.
The colorful yet simple GIF features a man on a runaway boat who jumps off onto a ladder connected to a stilted house. Once inside, the man looks briefly outside the window, then disappears.
“Why is this guy here on his little boat? Maybe running from a huge monster or just really hurried to meet his girlfriend. I think the simplest GIFs are the best,” Kurkdjian told the Daily Dot. “I love to see little houses, cabins lost in the nature and imagine stories with them, I like means of transport in general and lovely characters. My inspiration also comes from all the colorful isometric creations and animations I found on tumblr, behance or vimeo.”
Since joining Tumblr in February, Kurkdjian has posted only 16 animations on his Tumblr Bisous Les Copains (which, according to Google Translate, means “kissed buddies”). About half of his animations have been featured on Tumblr’s GIF tag.
Images by Guillaume Kurkdjian
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.