- How to watch the fourth 2020 Democratic debate 7 Years Ago
- Is social media normalizing cultural appropriation? Today 7:45 AM
- Zoë Kravitz will play Catwoman after being told she was too ‘urban’ for ‘Dark Knight Rises’ Today 6:36 AM
- The 5 best Spike Lee movies Today 5:00 AM
- Jesse Eisenberg and Imogen Poots visit suburban hell in ‘Vivarium’ Today 4:30 AM
- Spoiler-free review: HBO’s ‘Watchmen’ leans into the comic’s political side Today 3:00 AM
- #DogsAgainstBrexit highlights the negative impact of Brexit on pets Monday 7:44 PM
- Congress investigating whether vaping manufacturers used social media bots Monday 6:34 PM
- Influencer accuses Lisa Frank of stealing apartment design, says that’s why she’s getting evicted (updated) Monday 6:12 PM
- Brits are sharing their ‘awfully British Amazon reviews’ on Twitter Monday 4:08 PM
- How to stream Mexico vs. Panama in Concacaf Nations League play Monday 3:38 PM
- How to stream U.S. vs. Canada in the Concacaf Nations League tournament Monday 3:21 PM
- Fortnite’s black hole launches conspiracy theories and memes Monday 3:19 PM
- WeWork pulls phone booths over formaldehyde concerns Monday 3:06 PM
- Mark Zuckerberg is reportedly having private meetings with prominent conservatives Monday 3:03 PM
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Do it yourself! It’s the cry of the independent American: Why pay some specialist an exorbitant amount when anyone with common sense and six weeks of experience at being potty trained can figure this shit out on their own?
And there, my friends, you have the ethic behind the YouTube guru. And the YouTube guru is a recipe for disaster.
In this case, do it herselfer Tori Locklear was simply trying to shepherd a generation of girls into the sophisticated ways of hot iron sausage curls à la Kate Middleton, when she suddenly and very inadvertently went all Michael-Jackson-in-a-Pepsi-commercial incandescent. Fourteen million views later, she’d realized that while competency will get you a moderate following, epic failure of the scalp-singeing variety will bring you immortal fame.
After burning off a lock of her long blonde tresses on the pitiless anvil of the curling iron, Locklear pulled a face worthy of Alicia Silverstone in Clueless, put on her Big Girl Panties, and uploaded the video to YouTube. For brazenness alone, never mind the 130,838 notes, she deserves to be our Morning GIF.
Braids, people, I’m telling you.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.