- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
- ‘Astronomy Club’ reformats the sketch show Friday 4:58 PM
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Do it yourself! It’s the cry of the independent American: Why pay some specialist an exorbitant amount when anyone with common sense and six weeks of experience at being potty trained can figure this shit out on their own?
And there, my friends, you have the ethic behind the YouTube guru. And the YouTube guru is a recipe for disaster.
In this case, do it herselfer Tori Locklear was simply trying to shepherd a generation of girls into the sophisticated ways of hot iron sausage curls à la Kate Middleton, when she suddenly and very inadvertently went all Michael-Jackson-in-a-Pepsi-commercial incandescent. Fourteen million views later, she’d realized that while competency will get you a moderate following, epic failure of the scalp-singeing variety will bring you immortal fame.
After burning off a lock of her long blonde tresses on the pitiless anvil of the curling iron, Locklear pulled a face worthy of Alicia Silverstone in Clueless, put on her Big Girl Panties, and uploaded the video to YouTube. For brazenness alone, never mind the 130,838 notes, she deserves to be our Morning GIF.
Braids, people, I’m telling you.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.