- Pete Buttigieg’s denial of fixing bread prices becomes its own meme 7 Years Ago
- Houston Astros get torched with buzzer memes after new revelation 7 Years Ago
- Teens are eating cereal out of each other’s mouths for clout 7 Years Ago
- Did Martha McSally plan her ‘liberal hack’ viral moment? 7 Years Ago
- Trump adds Jeffrey Epstein’s old attorney to impeachment team Today 10:03 AM
- YouTube star Cameron Dallas gets scathing reviews for his Broadway debut Today 9:58 AM
- How to watch ‘Curb Your Enthusiasm’ season 10 Today 9:55 AM
- George Lucas met Baby Yoda, and we can’t handle it Today 8:45 AM
- Apple TV+’s ‘Little America’ shines a light on immigrant stories Today 8:00 AM
- Eminem drops surprise album—and Ariana Grande fans are furious Today 7:53 AM
- The first photos from the Discworld TV series are not what you’d expect Today 7:33 AM
- Vox Day, ‘alt-right’ racist, is absolutely thriving online Today 7:30 AM
- Why women are getting mysterious greeting cards from ‘Jenny B.’ Today 6:22 AM
- Gwyneth Paltrow peddles pseudoscience in ‘Goop Lab’ Netflix series Today 6:18 AM
- ‘Avenue 5’ packs in laughs and unevenness in a shaky launch into space Today 6:00 AM
Here at the Daily Dot, we swap GIF images with each other every morning. Now we’re looping you in. In the Morning GIF, we feature a popular—or just plain cool—GIF we found on Reddit, Canvas, or elsewhere on the Internet.
Do it yourself! It’s the cry of the independent American: Why pay some specialist an exorbitant amount when anyone with common sense and six weeks of experience at being potty trained can figure this shit out on their own?
And there, my friends, you have the ethic behind the YouTube guru. And the YouTube guru is a recipe for disaster.
In this case, do it herselfer Tori Locklear was simply trying to shepherd a generation of girls into the sophisticated ways of hot iron sausage curls à la Kate Middleton, when she suddenly and very inadvertently went all Michael-Jackson-in-a-Pepsi-commercial incandescent. Fourteen million views later, she’d realized that while competency will get you a moderate following, epic failure of the scalp-singeing variety will bring you immortal fame.
After burning off a lock of her long blonde tresses on the pitiless anvil of the curling iron, Locklear pulled a face worthy of Alicia Silverstone in Clueless, put on her Big Girl Panties, and uploaded the video to YouTube. For brazenness alone, never mind the 130,838 notes, she deserves to be our Morning GIF.
Braids, people, I’m telling you.
Lorraine Murphy is an Ottawa-based cybersecurity journalist and founding editor of the Cryptosphere. She has a keen interest in WikiLeaks and web culture, and her bylines have appeared in Salon, Vanity Fair, Serious Eats, and elsewhere.