- Swipe This! I’m ashamed to tell anyone about my online shopping habit Today 6:00 AM
- UPS facing backlash for thanking police after employee killed in shootout Saturday 5:02 PM
- Sanders campaign fires staffer after anti-Semitic, homophobic tweets surface Saturday 3:13 PM
- Brother Nature was attacked, says everyone just watched with phones out Saturday 2:45 PM
- Ryan Reynolds’ gin company hires Peloton wife for ad Saturday 1:24 PM
- Ex-vegan YouTuber accused of fraud after following meat-only diet Saturday 1:11 PM
- The 15 best Disney+ hidden gems and deep cuts Saturday 12:23 PM
- Everyone in GoFundMe scam involving homeless veteran has now pleaded guilty Saturday 12:06 PM
- Boy invites kindergarten class to his adoption–and people are emotional Saturday 11:56 AM
- Reddit links leaked trade deal documents to Russian campaign Saturday 10:44 AM
- How to stream Alistair Overeem vs. Jairzinho Rozenstruik Saturday 8:30 AM
- Amazon sends customers condoms and soap instead of Nintendo Switch Saturday 8:28 AM
- How to live stream Jermall Charlo vs. Dennis Hogan Saturday 8:00 AM
- Apple TV’s ‘Truth Be Told’ is a criminally dull drama Saturday 6:00 AM
- Thousands of Uber users have reported sexual assaults, company says Friday 5:40 PM
Maroon 5 agrees that the latest TikTok trend is good. Basketball players are having fun with the new challenge, which yes, involves Maroon 5. In the middle of playing, players will stop and prance off the court in conga line fashion as Maroon 5’s “Payphone” plays in the background.
Dave Jorgenson–who makes TikToks at the Washington Post if you need more journalism TikTok content in your life–tweeted a “Payphone” TikTok and wrote that “this TikTok trend might be my favorite so far.” Maroon 5 then responded.
“We agree,” the band tweeted.
We agree. https://t.co/wkO0ndxlqZ— Maroon 5 (@maroon5) November 12, 2019
In the comments, Jorgenson asked if Maroon 5 would like to star in a Washington Post TikTok, but the band has yet to respond.
The “Payphone” soundbite on TikTok has become dominated by basketball players trying out the trend. Most of the TikToks are filmed at practice or a pickup game, but three brave boys actually payphoned off the court in the middle of a game.
It’s always funny. pic.twitter.com/e6CaoNZGuo— Dave Jorgenson 🎄 (@davejorgenson) November 12, 2019
TikTok is popular among athletes who do challenges with their teams, but athletes have also used TikTok to share their “highlight reels” as part of another trend.
In conclusion, don’t sleep on Gen Z pic.twitter.com/dh4kctVVA9— Dave Jorgenson 🎄 (@davejorgenson) November 12, 2019
The “Payphone” TikTok trend is still going strong, and although it is Maroon 5-approved, Maroon 5 fans will have to wait and see if they make an appearance on TikTok anytime soon.
Esther Bell is a writer for the Daily Dot. She recently graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in journalism, and her work has appeared in Bustle and Teen Vogue.