- Everything we know so far about Peacock, NBC’s new streaming service Tuesday 7:42 PM
- Selena Gomez producing docuseries about immigration for Netflix Tuesday 7:11 PM
- How to stream Manchester City vs. Shakhtar Donetsk in Champions League action Tuesday 6:14 PM
- Milo Yiannopoulos threatens to crash furry convention he is barred from Tuesday 5:54 PM
- How to stream Juventus vs. Atletico Madrid in Champions League action Tuesday 5:52 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. PSG in Champions League action Tuesday 5:24 PM
- No-fly zone implemented over Area 51 ahead of Alienstock festival Tuesday 5:16 PM
- TikTok accused of censoring content about Hong Kong protests Tuesday 5:04 PM
- Smoke ’em, pass ’em, Week 3: At the Bakery Tuesday 4:38 PM
- Alex Trebek says he will be undergoing chemotherapy again Tuesday 4:27 PM
- Dan Crenshaw roasted after attacking Sanders’ call for veteran care Tuesday 4:19 PM
- How to stream NXT for its USA network debut Tuesday 4:12 PM
- This website will show you how AI classifies you Tuesday 3:22 PM
- School tells Black 4-year-old to cut his hair or wear a dress Tuesday 3:17 PM
- Lizzo called a ‘snitch’ for accusing Postmates runner of stealing food Tuesday 2:30 PM
What’s your Klouchebag score?
Programmer Tom Scott tells us about his hilarious new Klout parody clone.
“I’d been annoyed with the idea of Klout for a while, and that crystallised it. Today, I registered the domain name (sadly, “klunt.com” was already taken) and built it in a couple of hours of spare time. It launched less than an hour ago,” Scott told the Daily Dot Friday morning.
“Klout annoys me for the same reason that search engine optimization annoys me: It’s an enormous amount of effort designed to game an arbitrary and often-changing system. Imagine if all that time went into actually making interesting things, or caring about the people around you.”
Klouchebag ranks people using its custom ARSE system, which the site defined as follows:
- Anger: profanity and rage.
- Retweets: please RT’s, no or constant retweeting, and old-style.
- Social Apps: every useless checkin on foursquare or its horrible brethren.
- English Usage: if you use EXCLAMATION MARKS OMG!!! or no capitals at all, this’ll be quite high.
“I asked people about things that annoy them on Twitter,” Scott said. “Retweets themselves don’t – but too many, none at all, or old-style retweets were all bugbears. Also, ’please RT’ is a major bugbear.”
Founded in 2009, Klout was designed to allow people to arbitrarily gauge their influence on Twitter and other social media sites. Over the years the site has received a lot of blowback for its methodology. Last November, CNN writer John Scalzi called the site “sad” and “possibly evil.”
But what separates a power user from a douchebag?
Scott admits that a person’s Klouchebag score isn’t very accurate or scientific, nor does it match up with those from Klout.
“I don’t control the algorithm!” he joked on Twitter. “Well, I do, but it’s not like I put much effort into it.”
What will Klouchebag reveal about you?
Photo via Facebook
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.