- Dele Alli charged with misconduct for video mocking Asian man over the coronavirus Wednesday 7:18 PM
- Teen says she is suicidal after bullying video goes viral Wednesday 6:01 PM
- Trump supporters claim Reddit is staging a coup against The_Donald Wednesday 5:58 PM
- Conservative parliament member’s teabag photo spills serious tea Wednesday 5:27 PM
- Right-wing conspiracy theorists see coronavirus as a plot against Trump Wednesday 5:25 PM
- Chapo Trap House among leftist channels banned on Twitch for streaming Democratic debate Wednesday 4:20 PM
- Meet Ryker, the world’s worst service dog Wednesday 4:01 PM
- Far-right blogger claims Trump ordered arrest of Julian Assange Wednesday 3:47 PM
- Reddit man wants to tell people he’s been with his girlfriend for one year instead of 6—for an incredibly dumb reason Wednesday 2:18 PM
- John C. Reilly’s son Leo is a TikTok star Wednesday 1:58 PM
- ‘Vanderpump Rules’ recap: A friendship sails Wednesday 1:52 PM
- For celebs, Kobe Bryant tattoos are all the rage Wednesday 1:01 PM
- The internet has discovered Jim and Pam Halpert’s daughter—and she’s on TikTok Wednesday 12:32 PM
- YouPorn launches adult-themed TikTok knock-off (updated) Wednesday 12:29 PM
- Clearview AI client list reportedly stolen Wednesday 11:56 AM
What’s your Klouchebag score?
Programmer Tom Scott tells us about his hilarious new Klout parody clone.
“I’d been annoyed with the idea of Klout for a while, and that crystallised it. Today, I registered the domain name (sadly, “klunt.com” was already taken) and built it in a couple of hours of spare time. It launched less than an hour ago,” Scott told the Daily Dot Friday morning.
“Klout annoys me for the same reason that search engine optimization annoys me: It’s an enormous amount of effort designed to game an arbitrary and often-changing system. Imagine if all that time went into actually making interesting things, or caring about the people around you.”
Klouchebag ranks people using its custom ARSE system, which the site defined as follows:
- Anger: profanity and rage.
- Retweets: please RT’s, no or constant retweeting, and old-style.
- Social Apps: every useless checkin on foursquare or its horrible brethren.
- English Usage: if you use EXCLAMATION MARKS OMG!!! or no capitals at all, this’ll be quite high.
“I asked people about things that annoy them on Twitter,” Scott said. “Retweets themselves don’t – but too many, none at all, or old-style retweets were all bugbears. Also, ’please RT’ is a major bugbear.”
Founded in 2009, Klout was designed to allow people to arbitrarily gauge their influence on Twitter and other social media sites. Over the years the site has received a lot of blowback for its methodology. Last November, CNN writer John Scalzi called the site “sad” and “possibly evil.”
But what separates a power user from a douchebag?
Scott admits that a person’s Klouchebag score isn’t very accurate or scientific, nor does it match up with those from Klout.
“I don’t control the algorithm!” he joked on Twitter. “Well, I do, but it’s not like I put much effort into it.”
What will Klouchebag reveal about you?
Photo via Facebook
Fernando Alfonso III served as an early Reddit and 4chan reporter and the Daily Dot’s first art director until 2016. He’s gone on to report at Lexington’s Herald-Leader and at the Houston Chronicle.