- How to watch the Las Vegas Bowl online for free Today 8:30 AM
- How to watch Real Madrid vs. Rayo Vallecano online for free Today 7:30 AM
- ‘Runaways’ season 2 expands its universe and mysteries Today 7:30 AM
- How to watch the Cure Bowl online for free Today 7:05 AM
- How to watch Canelo Alvarez vs. Rocky Fielding for free Today 7:00 AM
- Politicians who inspired the internet in 2018 Today 6:30 AM
- Here are all the college bowl games on TV today Today 6:00 AM
- How to watch the New Mexico Bowl online for free Today 5:15 AM
- How to watch the Celebration Bowl online for free Today 4:55 AM
- How to watch Borussia Dortmund vs. Werder Bremen online for free Today 3:00 AM
- Report: DACA recipients increasingly being denied federal housing loans Friday 3:54 PM
- Chris Christie is finally getting praise—for turning down Donald Trump Friday 3:39 PM
- Net neutrality died last year. But the fight’s just begun Friday 1:18 PM
- Kim Kierkegaardashian creator says popular Twitter account ‘speaks to the duality in all of us’ Friday 1:02 PM
- Facebook admits that 6.8 million users’ private photos were exposed Friday 12:55 PM
It couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.
For those unfamiliar, Katie Hopkins is a conservative British media personality, Trump supporter, and—some would say— a professional troll who first rose to fame as the “villain” of her season of the UK Apprentice in 2007. Since then, she has been a staple in British newspapers and tabloids as a lightning rod for controversy due to her unpopular opinions about immigrants, and people of color in general.
In addition to those lovely qualities, Hopkins also gained notoriety in 2015 for a TLC program called My Fat Story, in which she purposely gained and lost around 40 pounds to essentially stick it to overweight people.
Which brings us to today. While many in the UK celebrated the Royal Wedding last weekend, Hopkins, on the other hand, took to Twitter to express her distaste with the whole thing—specifically with the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, who happens to be biracial.
Shortly after the wedding, Hopkins posted the following tweet comparing Markle to her sister-in-law Kate Middleton on her own wedding day.
— Katie Hopkins (@KTHopkins) May 19, 2018
People were quick to jump on Hopkins over the tweet. And since she already started with the unnecessary low blows, one person observed that there’s only seven years difference in age between Hopkins and Markle.
Reminder that Katie Hopkins is 43, 7 years older than Meghan Markle. Hate ages the body awfully kids pic.twitter.com/kXaTxIMKwo
— Eric Killmonger (@BisonBarker) May 20, 2018
Now, we all know that shaming a woman, or anyone for that matter, for their appearance is obviously a slippery slope. As the week went on, however, Hopkins continued attacking Markle on social media, while others piled on to mock her over her age.
And at that point folks, it just boils down to reaping what you sow. Some pointed out the difference between Hopkins and celebrities who happen to be just a few years older than her.
Gabrielle Union is 2 years older than Katie Hopkins… pic.twitter.com/fC5Zc5Jpfr
— georgia (@lemonadenormani) May 20, 2018
Eminem is 2 years older than katie hopkins and she looks like she could be his grandmother pic.twitter.com/U7bSrns7rr
— Sage (@faenshady) May 21, 2018
ellen degeneres is 17 years older than katie hopkins pic.twitter.com/AlHIHYQFY6
— megan (@bwaymegan) May 23, 2018
Angela Bassett is 16 years older than Katie Hopkins. pic.twitter.com/80AgHi6sUC
— Thot Pocket (@KTC7162) May 23, 2018
Some people compared Hopkins to women who are much older, ostensibly to demonstrate that she doesn’t look much younger.
Queen Elizabeth II is 49 years older than Katie Hopkins pic.twitter.com/TF6W3SCvs0
— lauranna (@lauranne_t) May 20, 2018
And eventually, the whole thing evolved into a full-blown meme.
Yoda is 900 and Katie Hopkins is 43. Let that sink in. pic.twitter.com/Gkrh4leB67
— • (@MysticMartiaI) May 23, 2018
Offset is 111 and Katie Hopkins is 43 pic.twitter.com/ANNrEFcyYa
— nice buildings and green grass (@weaintboyz) May 21, 2018
Steve Rogers is 100 and Katie Hopkins is 43 pic.twitter.com/dxj3CSUvvC
— steve al abdul mohammed rogers (@capstrio) May 20, 2018
King Tutankhamen is only 634 years older than Katie Hopkins pic.twitter.com/oOIn3UOPa9
— Cardi Bier🍺 (@Gershforthewin) May 20, 2018
Pharell Williams is only 1,890,065,999,000 years older than Katie Hopkins pic.twitter.com/kjc9ON0EWS
— #DiaryOfNasawali (@nasawali_phame) May 21, 2018
the twelfth doctor is 4.5 billion years older than katie hopkins pic.twitter.com/sOLedyvGF0
— bea loves twelveclara (@dutiesofcare) May 23, 2018
Once again, the justice of the internet was swift and merciless. What can we say, it couldn’t have happened to a nicer person.
Stacey Ritzen is a reporter and editor based in West Philadelphia with over 10 years' experience covering pop culture, web culture, entertainment, and news. You can follow her on Twitter @staceyritzen.