- New Apex Legends characters leaked by data miners 2 Years Ago
- Ken Jeong falls back on crude humor and lazy stereotypes in ‘You Complete Me, Ho’ 2 Years Ago
- 14 artsy cartoon mugs that’ll help make your days more creative 2 Years Ago
- Netflix cancels ‘Jessica Jones’ and ‘The Punisher’ Today 11:26 AM
- YouTube is fueling the rise in flat earth believers Today 11:04 AM
- Review: Crackdown 3 is not a world worth saving Today 11:00 AM
- Scathing privacy report calls Facebook a ‘digital gangster’ Today 10:50 AM
- 21 Savage goes deep on 21 Savage memes Today 10:49 AM
- Everyone is debating the number of towels you should own Today 10:47 AM
- How to unlock the Fortnite Prisoner stage 4 skin Today 10:45 AM
- Julian Assange reportedly nominated for Nobel Peace Prize Today 10:27 AM
- Major U.S. airlines will soon implement nonbinary gender options Today 10:21 AM
- Trump calls 25th Amendment talk a ‘coup’ attempt Today 8:42 AM
- The Hatebook: Inside Facebook’s thriving subculture of racism Today 7:29 AM
- Anthony Hamilton’s national anthem at All-Star game sparks MVP meme Today 7:02 AM
During Friday’s episode of Jeopardy, contestants had a chance to earn up to $1,000 on the show by answering questions from the category “stay woke,” which surely grabbed the internet’s attention.
Jeopardy really has a "Stay Woke" category today 😂😂 pic.twitter.com/xIMDMpOtUh
— Eric Kotchi (@ekotchi) June 30, 2017
— Derek Sheets (@MrSheetsWorld) June 30, 2017
— Danielle (@dmnarrows) June 30, 2017
"Stay woke" is an actual category on jeopardy my life is so complete right now
— Juliana (@JulianaHennessy) July 1, 2017
While some viewers took the category in stride, implying that it was a move on Jeopardy’s part of embracing black culture and using a game show to further political discourse, others were less than enthused. “Woke” had made it to daytime TV, the stuff grandma watches before turning in for bed. Nope. “Woke” was dead.
Damnit, Alex. https://t.co/XdZBkdGSW5
— brittany a. floyd (@be_a_floyd) July 1, 2017
why the hell is "stay woke" a jeopardy category
— sarah (@wickedspooks) June 30, 2017
Even worse—the category had absolutely nothing to do with staying aware and informed. Instead, it asked contestants questions related to sleep and literally staying awake. Way to kill the excitement, Trebek.
— Heather Duffy (@HattieDarling) June 30, 2017
and it's literally about staying awake
— Vann R. Newkirk II (@fivefifths) June 30, 2017
Got psyched there was a "Stay Woke" category on Jeopardy! but got sad because it was about sleep and not outlandish conspiracy theories.
— Charlie Crowley (@CCrowley4) June 30, 2017
Shout out to the production assistant who thought of this one. Maybe next time try making sure the questions might have something to do with social justice, too.
Samantha Grasso is a former IRL staff writer for the Daily Dot with a reporting emphasis on immigration. Her work has appeared on Los Angeles Magazine, Death And Taxes, Revelist, Texts From Last Night, Austin Monthly, and she has previously contributed to Texas Monthly.