- Pete Buttigieg under fire for saying incarcerated Americans shouldn’t be allowed to vote 1 Year Ago
- Vine’s co-founder is beta testing a new app called Byte 1 Year Ago
- Report: Joe Biden’s first 2020 fundraiser will be with a Comcast executive 1 Year Ago
- Netflix’s ‘Sabrina’ appears to have an art-copying problem 1 Year Ago
- People are crying over these cats’ window-sill romance Today 2:27 PM
- The ‘I’m baby’ meme is all about being comforted Today 2:24 PM
- Parody video totally nails what men are like on Tinder Today 1:57 PM
- Twitch star AriLove latest woman to be arbitrarily banned for ‘sexually suggestive’ attire Today 1:47 PM
- The 18 best Korean beauty sheet masks Today 1:25 PM
- Report: 5,000 Twitter bots pushed ‘Russiagate hoax’ after Mueller report Today 11:15 AM
- Google Trends show how differently Notre Dame and Sri Lanka are being mourned Today 10:50 AM
- Harvard centrists get relentlessly clowned for asking Bernie about socialism Today 10:38 AM
- Flex your knowledge of dank memes with What Do You Meme? card game Today 10:33 AM
- Facebook’s new general counsel helped craft the ‘Patriot Act’ Today 10:26 AM
- Get a free month of live TV streaming while this Philo deal lasts Today 10:11 AM
‘Simpsons’ called it: Donald Trump officially has a Homer Simpson bod
Simpsons did it again.
“Simpsons did it!” goes the popular refrain, pointing out that the ’90s TV show was decades ahead of its time in terms of humor, but also in terms of predicting the news. Well, Simpsons did it again this week. The media has made much of President Donald Trump‘s claims that he weighs 239 pounds and isn’t obese. Guess who else weighed 239 pounds? The famously bloated Homer Simpson.
— Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) January 16, 2018
To those skeptical of the president’s health report—which lists him as an inch taller than he’s previously claimed, and a weight barely under the line for obesity—the coincidence couldn’t be more perfect.
“239 pounds! I’m a whale! Why was I cursed with this weakness for snack treats?” Homer moans in the season 1 scene.
Although many have warned against fat shaming Trump, the tongue-in-cheek “girther” movement that believes the president is vainly fudging his vital statistics sees it differently. It’s not fat shaming, it’s hypocrisy-shaming.
It’s ironic that Trump, who has repeatedly hurled weight-based insults at others (including a Miss Universe winner) and got a doctor’s note claiming he would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency,” is “a whale” even by Homer Simpson’s loose standards.
The Simpsons already had its fingers on the pulse of the Trump presidency back in the ’90s, even predicting “President Trump” in a 1999 episode:
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.