- ICE cuts the cord on real immigrant hotline after being featured in ‘Orange Is the New Black’ 2 Years Ago
- The 10 best music podcasts for artist interviews and criticism in 2019 2 Years Ago
- How a socialist Twitch streamer landed in a feud with Dan Crenshaw Today 10:07 AM
- How to prepare for your fantasy football draft (and season) Today 9:00 AM
- Kit Harington is joining the MCU–and people are guessing which character he will play Today 8:48 AM
- How to live stream Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Dewayne Beamon Today 8:00 AM
- The 5 best free torrent clients you can download in 2019 Today 8:00 AM
- How to stream Saints vs. Jets in NFL preseason action Today 7:49 AM
- How to stream Chiefs vs. 49ers in NFL preseason action Today 7:36 AM
- How to live stream Bellator 225: Mitrione vs. Kharitonov Today 7:30 AM
- Alice Wetterlund draws insight from the last decade in ‘My Mama Is a Human and So Am I’ Today 7:00 AM
- How to stream the Cowboys vs. Texans NFL preseason showdown Today 7:00 AM
- How ‘Stranger Things’ is inspiring new waves of Dungeons and Dragons fans Today 6:00 AM
- Why you should be watching ‘Red vs Blue’ on Netflix Today 6:00 AM
- How to live stream Sergey Kovalev vs. Anthony Yarde Today 5:00 AM
“Simpsons did it!” goes the popular refrain, pointing out that the ’90s TV show was decades ahead of its time in terms of humor, but also in terms of predicting the news. Well, Simpsons did it again this week. The media has made much of President Donald Trump‘s claims that he weighs 239 pounds and isn’t obese. Guess who else weighed 239 pounds? The famously bloated Homer Simpson.
To those skeptical of the president’s health report—which lists him as an inch taller than he’s previously claimed, and a weight barely under the line for obesity—the coincidence couldn’t be more perfect.
“239 pounds! I’m a whale! Why was I cursed with this weakness for snack treats?” Homer moans in the season 1 scene.
Although many have warned against fat shaming Trump, the tongue-in-cheek “girther” movement that believes the president is vainly fudging his vital statistics sees it differently. It’s not fat shaming, it’s hypocrisy-shaming.
It’s ironic that Trump, who has repeatedly hurled weight-based insults at others (including a Miss Universe winner) and got a doctor’s note claiming he would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency,” is “a whale” even by Homer Simpson’s loose standards.
The Simpsons already had its fingers on the pulse of the Trump presidency back in the ’90s, even predicting “President Trump” in a 1999 episode:
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.