- People are roasting this ‘traditional’ take on marriage with a hilarious meme Saturday 5:17 PM
- The internet just collectively realized that the Neopets of the world must be hungry Saturday 4:00 PM
- Alt-right message board 8chan was served a search warrant Saturday 3:06 PM
- O.J. Simpson just joined Twitter in the most bizarre fashion Saturday 1:20 PM
- Prominent phone-hacking firm says it can unlock any iPhone for law enforcement Saturday 12:39 PM
- Hundreds of police officers belong to extremist Facebook groups, investigation finds Saturday 9:31 AM
- How to watch Tyson Fury vs. Tom Schwarz online Saturday 8:00 AM
- ‘Late Night’ is a disappointing, tepid comedy Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to stream ‘Love It or List It’ for free Saturday 7:00 AM
- How to watch the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup online for free Saturday 6:55 AM
- Borderlands 3 preview suggests the aging series can still hang with the cool kids Saturday 6:30 AM
- How to stream the 2019 College World Series for free Saturday 6:00 AM
- Police try to solve domestic violence by giving victims blunt kitchen knives Friday 5:40 PM
- Privacy activist Ola Bini detained for 2 months in Ecuador without charges Friday 5:01 PM
- Twitter says suspending ‘God’ for a pro-LGBTQ tweet was an ‘error’ Friday 4:14 PM
‘Simpsons’ called it: Donald Trump officially has a Homer Simpson bod
Simpsons did it again.
“Simpsons did it!” goes the popular refrain, pointing out that the ’90s TV show was decades ahead of its time in terms of humor, but also in terms of predicting the news. Well, Simpsons did it again this week. The media has made much of President Donald Trump‘s claims that he weighs 239 pounds and isn’t obese. Guess who else weighed 239 pounds? The famously bloated Homer Simpson.
— Jarett Wieselman (@JarettSays) January 16, 2018
To those skeptical of the president’s health report—which lists him as an inch taller than he’s previously claimed, and a weight barely under the line for obesity—the coincidence couldn’t be more perfect.
“239 pounds! I’m a whale! Why was I cursed with this weakness for snack treats?” Homer moans in the season 1 scene.
Although many have warned against fat shaming Trump, the tongue-in-cheek “girther” movement that believes the president is vainly fudging his vital statistics sees it differently. It’s not fat shaming, it’s hypocrisy-shaming.
It’s ironic that Trump, who has repeatedly hurled weight-based insults at others (including a Miss Universe winner) and got a doctor’s note claiming he would be “the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency,” is “a whale” even by Homer Simpson’s loose standards.
The Simpsons already had its fingers on the pulse of the Trump presidency back in the ’90s, even predicting “President Trump” in a 1999 episode:
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.