- In season 2, ‘Succession’ has quietly become one of the best shows on TV Sunday 9:10 PM
- Alexa Demie shares the beauty inspiration behind ‘Euphoria’s’ Maddy Sunday 5:47 PM
- Fans just discovered Lizzo’s old YouTube channel–and it’s full of gems Sunday 4:22 PM
- The ‘Final Destination’ movies are now streaming on Hulu Sunday 2:44 PM
- Marvel asked ‘Maus’ author to remove Trump reference from essay–he refused Sunday 2:02 PM
- Counselors reportedly pressured to share private info about Facebook moderators Sunday 1:20 PM
- Barstool Sports founder under investigation for anti-union tweets Sunday 12:34 PM
- Harmony Korine’s ‘The Beach Bum’ is now streaming on Hulu Sunday 12:19 PM
- How an Instagram feud led to the death of 9-year-old girl Sunday 11:08 AM
- A scarier ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ extended director’s cut is coming to Blu-ray Sunday 9:15 AM
- The 9 best podcasts for kids that entertain and educate Sunday 8:00 AM
- Swipe This! Why does my BFF get more likes on Instagram than me? Sunday 6:00 AM
- The 25 Tom Cruise movies that are essential viewing Sunday 6:00 AM
- No, that guy didn’t really fly alone on a Delta flight Saturday 4:31 PM
- Fans are paying to meet their favorite YouTubers online through pilot program Saturday 2:54 PM
10 fanfiction crossovers we really didn’t see coming
It’s mashup culture gone mad.
Fanfiction is one of the most reassuring things in the world. Yes, we laugh at it; yes, it’s often bizarre and horny; nevertheless, it’s confirmation that art is moving the youth of today. Harry Potter shipping might not be the healthiest pastime in the world, but it’s very necessary. So for all the giggles I’m about to get out of fanfic, please know that it’s all love.
One of the best categories on FanFiction.net is the “crossover” section. When you click on that, you can choose two disparate sources, like Power Rangers and Fifty Shades of Grey, then write a fanfiction that bridges those two universes. The potential is incredible! Finally Sonic the Hedgehog can infiltrate every hallowed corner of the Internet!
A lot of these crossovers make a certain amount of sense—Doctor Who mashed up with Sherlock comes to mind, but many seem to come out of left field. To show you what I’m talking about, I’ve collected 10 of weirdest crossover sections you’ll find on that wonderful website.
1) A Song of Ice and Fire and Fifty Shades of Grey
OK, starting off on the mild side here. I’m sure everyone could’ve guessed that something like this existed. However, I will say that A Song of Ice and Fire may as well already be Fifty Shades of Grey.
2) A Bug’s Life and Antz
It just makes me really happy that somebody out there saw these two movies and decided to merge the storylines. Like, who remembers Antz well enough to write fanfiction about it?
3) Kim Possible and Harry Potter
Or: a very specific generation’s wet dream finally come true.
4) Les Misérables and Downton Abbey
5) Sherlock and The Little Mermaid
6) Spider-Man and Glee
As weird as this is, trust me, it’s the tip of the iceberg as far as Glee fanfiction goes.
7) Thor and The Vampire Diaries
Alternative title: “a 13-year-old girl’s budding sense of horniness, epitomized.”
8) Star Wars and The Lion King
Seriously, what would that even entail? Does Scar learn how to fly a TIE fighter? How does a lion use a lightsaber? I’m very confused.
9) X-Files and My Little Pony
I want to believe.
10) The Legend of Zelda and Dance Dance Revolution
And finally, my vote for the weirdest one on this list. How the hell do you write Dance Dance Revolution fan fiction? Is there really a story to DDR? Are there characters? How does that even work?
Oh it’s, all written by one person. That’s one mystery solved, anyway!
Photo via Sharon & Nikki McCutcheon/Flickr (CC BY 2.0)
Entertainment and sports reporter Luke Winkie has written everywhere from A.V Club to Vice, including Sports Illustrated, Rolling Stone, Kotaku, Playboy, Mel, and Polygon.