- Former developer at software company deletes his code to protest its ties to ICE Saturday 4:21 PM
- A mysterious website is doxing Hong Kong protesters and journalists Saturday 1:44 PM
- The best ‘Skyrim’ followers and how to get them Saturday 1:26 PM
- Why Joel Osteen gets cyberbullied every time Houston floods Saturday 12:40 PM
- How to stream Jets vs. Patriots in Week 3 Saturday 12:39 PM
- 10 indie dating simulator games you should be playing Saturday 12:31 PM
- How to stream Packers vs. Broncos in Week 3 Saturday 12:14 PM
- Saudi crown prince’s former adviser suspended from Twitter Saturday 11:57 AM
- How to stream Cowboys vs. Dolphins in Week 3 Saturday 11:57 AM
- YouTuber to pay restitution after a teen fan died copying her video Saturday 10:36 AM
- Facebook suspended tens of thousands of apps after Cambridge Analytica scandal Saturday 8:24 AM
- How to stream Browns vs. Rams on Sunday Night Football Saturday 6:00 AM
- How to watch ‘NFL Primetime’ on ESPN+ Saturday 5:00 AM
- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
An anonymous college student lucked into the chillest roommate situation ever—and had the foresight to turn it into an Instagram account.
With @fifaroommate, the freshman immortalized his roommate’s decision to waste his life playing FIFA soccer on the PS4 in a series of daily photos. He started in March and wrapped up when Fifa Man moved out in June.
It’s truly a fascinating document on the beginnings of college bro life, a quiet observation of Homo freshmanicus in his natural environment. FIFA Man faithfully plays the game every day, or about three or four times as often as he changes his shirt. His dirty laundry accumulates atop his bunk bed, framing the back of his head as he stares at the screen. He does not seem to have cut his hair during the semester.
He did, however, wash himself. Careful observers will note that the shower caddy under his desk occasionally changes position.
Near the end of the series, the FIFA chair is empty for four photos in a row, the first time we’ve seen FIFA Man away from the game. “Final is coming,” FIFA Man’s roommate explained. For a brief time, virtual soccer must take a backseat to studying.
The only way this could be better is as a time-lapse, showing the laundry piling up in various configurations, the hoodies moving from bed to chair, towels appearing and disappearing.
Dude set out to make fun of his roommate, and he succeeded, but his project turned out to be much more fascinating than that.
Sadly, the two will not be rooming together again in the fall.
Jay Hathaway is a former senior writer who specialized in internet memes and weird online culture. He previously served as the Daily Dot’s news editor, was a staff writer at Gawker, and edited the classic websites Urlesque and Download Squad. His work has also appeared on nymag.com, suicidegirls.com, and the Morning News.