- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online 1 Year Ago
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Today 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- Vidgo provides competitive streaming options in both English and Spanish Saturday 3:34 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
- How to watch ‘American Idol’ season 18 Saturday 2:00 PM
- James Blake defends girlfriend Jameela Jamil amid allegations she’s faking her illnesses Saturday 1:46 PM
- Viral video purports to show doctors with guns amid coronavirus outbreak Saturday 1:07 PM
- Russian YouTubers pretend to be Greta Thunberg, share alleged prank call with Bernie Sanders Saturday 11:07 AM
- TikTok teens are shaving off their eyebrows to ‘look like’ Kendall Jenner, Bella Hadid Saturday 10:25 AM
- Wendy’s fires employees over viral TikTok sink bath Saturday 9:05 AM
- This dentist wants to know who left him a negative review online Friday 8:16 PM
- Rashida Tlaib detained during protests over airline work conditions Friday 6:51 PM
Anyone who has put some distance between themselves and their family—either for logistic reasons or for their sanity—knows how hard it can be to keep up with Mom, Dad, your siblings, and that one aunt who can’t stop accidentally making double entendres. Alas, enter the group chat: the convenient way to talk to everyone at the same time and pretend you’re still engaged in family dynamics.
Sometimes, or often, what happens in the family group chat is nothing of grand importance. Dad jokes, though, are a necessity.
my newfound passion is my father texting our family group chat but from the perspective of the dogs pic.twitter.com/aHwFs87bVc— Michael Majchrowicz (@mjmajchrowicz) September 4, 2018
A thrilling saga from my family group chat in which my dad forgets what a coconut is pic.twitter.com/tFG6PW2Y17— doug dimmadome (@hotdamntifftam) August 28, 2018
My dad just sent this to our family group chat ... I- pic.twitter.com/ofwpyaEb7J— Jessica ♡♀ (@jesssweetener) August 31, 2018
My parents been married 28 years but my dad still spamming the family group chat with pics of my mum just eating??? Big man relaxxxxx— Big Dawg Chino (@lazarusik) September 1, 2018
Anytime you’re dealing with lots of people on the same thread, a chat can get cluttered up pretty quickly. The family chat, in particular, can become easy to ignore. Some prefer to be upfront about their interest in family discussions, however.
Everyone else seems to have entertaining family group chats, here’s mine. pic.twitter.com/Jsp65Ov8fi— luke owens (@1ukeee) August 28, 2018
me saying “haha” in the family groupchat once every two months pic.twitter.com/h4CGA7EhKC— marissa. (@yuhitsrissa) August 29, 2018
In the end, though, isn’t typing a few emoji worth it to keep up with those you love?
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.