- How to stream Liverpool vs. Chelsea Friday 6:45 PM
- How to stream Real Madrid vs. Sevilla Friday 6:35 PM
- How to stream Peter ‘Kid Chocolate’ Quillin vs. Alfredo Angulo Friday 5:16 PM
- How to stream Barcelona vs. Granada Friday 4:50 PM
- ‘Atlantics’ tells a ghost story steeped with emotion and realism Friday 4:16 PM
- ‘Jojo Rabbit’ is a sweet, singular movie that loses its grip on satire Friday 3:40 PM
- Jordan Peterson is in rehab for Klonopin addiction Friday 3:34 PM
- The cat-worshipping turkey cult video, explained Friday 3:22 PM
- Despite legal threats and drama, the Area 51 desert event is on Friday 3:05 PM
- How to stream Yair Rodriguez vs. Jeremy Stephens on UFC Fight Night Friday 3:00 PM
- Twitter just launched its ‘Hide Replies’ feature Friday 1:59 PM
- How to turn off image metadata before it snitches on you Friday 1:36 PM
- The ‘Breaking Bad’ movie is coming to theaters—for one weekend only Friday 1:04 PM
- Teens recorded, shared videos of mall fight that ended in fatal stabbing Friday 12:44 PM
- How to stream Giants vs. Buccaneers in Week 3 Friday 12:31 PM
Anyone who has put some distance between themselves and their family—either for logistic reasons or for their sanity—knows how hard it can be to keep up with Mom, Dad, your siblings, and that one aunt who can’t stop accidentally making double entendres. Alas, enter the group chat: the convenient way to talk to everyone at the same time and pretend you’re still engaged in family dynamics.
waking up to my family group chat is like the bonjour scene in beauty and the beast pic.twitter.com/eT2VDJVstb— paula🌻 (@paulaquags) September 4, 2018
Sometimes, or often, what happens in the family group chat is nothing of grand importance. Dad jokes, though, are a necessity.
my newfound passion is my father texting our family group chat but from the perspective of the dogs pic.twitter.com/aHwFs87bVc— Michael Majchrowicz (@mjmajchrowicz) September 4, 2018
A thrilling saga from my family group chat in which my dad forgets what a coconut is pic.twitter.com/tFG6PW2Y17— doug dimmadome (@hotdamntifftam) August 28, 2018
My dad just sent this to our family group chat ... I- pic.twitter.com/ofwpyaEb7J— Jessica ♡♀ (@jesssweetener) August 31, 2018
My parents been married 28 years but my dad still spamming the family group chat with pics of my mum just eating??? Big man relaxxxxx— Big Dawg Chino (@lazarusik) September 1, 2018
Anytime you’re dealing with lots of people on the same thread, a chat can get cluttered up pretty quickly. The family chat, in particular, can become easy to ignore. Some prefer to be upfront about their interest in family discussions, however.
Everyone else seems to have entertaining family group chats, here’s mine. pic.twitter.com/Jsp65Ov8fi— luke owens (@1ukeee) August 28, 2018
me saying “haha” in the family groupchat once every two months pic.twitter.com/h4CGA7EhKC— marissa. (@yuhitsrissa) August 29, 2018
In the end, though, isn’t typing a few emoji worth it to keep up with those you love?
Nahila Bonfiglio reports on geek culture and gaming. Her work has also appeared on KUT's Texas Standard (Austin), KPAC-FM (San Antonio), and the Daily Texan.