- ‘Bachelor’ contestant apologizes for ‘White Lives Matter’ photo shoot Today 12:13 AM
- ‘Sonic The Hedgehog’ sets box office record for video game movies Sunday 8:15 PM
- Truck driver allegedly watching porn kills teen driver in a car crash Sunday 6:44 PM
- Is the Buttigieg campaign behind this pro-Pete Nigerian Twitter account? Sunday 4:58 PM
- Mask that has your face printed on it allows you to unlock your phone during viral epidemics Sunday 3:52 PM
- Justin Bieber slid into the DMs of someone who hated his new album Sunday 1:05 PM
- HQ Trivia host and co-founder in Twitter feud amid shutdown Sunday 12:10 PM
- YouTuber shamed for fake call with Caroline Flack after her death Sunday 10:59 AM
- This MAGA-loving Keanu Reeves imposter isn’t fooling anyone Sunday 10:16 AM
- How to watch ‘Outlander’ season 5 online Sunday 8:00 AM
- Kobe Bryant’s complicated online legacy isn’t buried with him Sunday 6:00 AM
- TikTok teen’s reaction to discovering boyfriend’s cheating goes viral Saturday 4:46 PM
- This may be the creepiest Amazon review you’ll ever read Saturday 3:58 PM
- Bill Maher booed on own show over defense of Bloomberg Saturday 3:37 PM
- The Sun allegedly deletes negative Caroline Flack story after her death Saturday 2:48 PM
Hear classic kids’ book ‘Everyone Poops’ in Morgan Freeman’s voice
One talented voice actor filmed this impression as a thank-you to Reddit for launching his career.
A year ago, Reddit launched the voice acting career of Joseph Scales by pushing his Morgan Freeman impression to the front page. This weekend, Scales returned to Reddit to repay the favor. In his own words:
One year ago my Morgan Freeman impression was on Reddit’s front page and spread to CNN, HuffingtonPost, ESPN, Barstoolsports, Youtube, and many others which allowed me to become a voice actor. As a thanks to Reddit, here’s Morgan Freeman reading “Everyone Poops”
Everyone Poops, of course, is the seminal children’s picture book on scatalogy, written by prolific Japanese author Tar? Gomi. In it, the reader learns that all living creatures, because they eat, also defecate, producing various shapes and amounts, and that this is completely normal.
There’s nothing normal about hearing this lesson imparted with the gravitas we associate with Morgan Freeman’s mellifluous speaking voice, however, and Scales nails just that—not to mention the gentle cadences and aspirating that make Freeman a recognizable narrator. Even his good-natured laugh at the 23-second mark feels eerily accurate.
Scales’ noble delivery has already been experienced more than 1.2 million times on YouTube, and the comment section there has already shaded into spam and troll wars. Reddit, for its part, seemed pretty happy with the gift, applauding Scales’ especially “crisp” pronunciation of “poop.”
Nevertheless, at least one user insisted that Morgan Freeman himself is the sole exception to the rule of nature laid out by the book:
Screengrab via Joseph Scales/YouTube
Miles Klee is a novelist and web culture reporter. The former editor of the Daily Dot’s Unclick section, Klee’s essays, satire, and fiction have appeared in Lapham’s Quarterly, Vanity Fair, 3:AM, Salon, the Awl, the New York Observer, the Millions, and the Village Voice. He's the author of two odd books of fiction, 'Ivyland' and 'True False.'